CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:48 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

WALKER1MAN wrote:
I think one of the most unrated traits is a dogs heart and love for doing the sport. A dog that just loves to be off the chain and is excited everytime he gets in the box. Nothing like having a dog you can just tell that they love doing what you want them to do.

Couldn't agree more.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Grit is very hard to come by now in most breeds. I am not talking about coons which should be easy for a hound to kill. What I am talking about is when they get hurt bad from big game and still have the desire for another round. The kill me before I quit attitude.
Jtg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:09 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Jmo !!! Lol my ideal dog is .... When I load him up you know he is ready to hit the woods all night long (drive) strike a track and move it cold or hot (nose) have really long ears , so long he couldn't hear another dog if it was face barking its butt off (independent) and loud as an old coal train horn !!! (tree power)and ready to go after the next one 60 seconds after you snap his collar !!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:50 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

chase royer wrote:
I would have to give up....... packing with other dogs. I want a hound that's going to throw dirt in your face when he leaves gets struck fast moves the track fast and just slam dunks a tree with a coon.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

LOL Not packing and dirt in my eye scooping is a sales PITCH from back in the 80's LOL That is the very first thing that I Cannot tolerate. but to each hissown.
I yell after the dog, "since you know so much how to git gone, I sure hope you know where home is dumbassss.."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:23 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

loll ive had a few of them get deep quick hunting dogs.i use to stay out all night hollering,screaming and whistling for them to come in pretty please.now if a dog want come in when i whistle for them all i can tell them is have fun ill be back bout this time tomorrow and we will go again and iam sorry if your hungry you should have came in when i whistle.my daddy taught me that and it seems to get the dogs attention after a couple times of that.lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:25 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

skeets wrote:
loll ive had a few of them get deep quick hunting dogs.i use to stay out all night hollering,screaming and whistling for them to come in pretty please.now if a dog want come in when i whistle for them all i can tell them is have fun ill be back bout this time tomorrow and we will go again and iam sorry if your hungry you should have came in when i whistle.my daddy taught me that and it seems to get the dogs attention after a couple times of that.lol

I have had the pack swim the river and get treed on little islands out in the marsh every couple of years. I used to go all the way back home and get a boat and go back and take a ten mile crooked river journey to collect them. I quit that ten years ago. I say to myownself, "well, you got yourownself over there , now get an back and leave them treed. The next night they would still be heard treeing ( but in my mind I know they had a different one treed ) But would still not come on. I would not bring a boat . I would just hunt other dogs that night. By the third night, they would be back on my hill mainly because there was no freshwater on them islands and I know it. Now, l I know they might have drank salt water and got sick and died but they might have done that and got sick but they never died. Never had one gater ate yet either. But after ten years of that I can hoop and shoot the rifle , and it is amasing how fast a dog can swim a quarter mile high tide river and sludge through a mile of marshgrass and get his but back to you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:39 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Some people like dogs that check back in mostly pleasure hunters . more of your competitors have to stay tight on there dogs . I think a dog with drive ain't coming back to ya might as well lay you a shirt out and hope he gets tired , then again if he is like I like em he will die under a tree Lol but I ain't leaving my dogs out that's why I carry my GPS and a bottle of water

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:51 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

The most over rated trait for a lab Pup is fetching a sock. For a pointer pup it is cocking a leg at a quail wing or a butterfly. For a Cocker Pup , it is how much he Pees on the floor. For a coondog pup , it is how early he "barks up" at a quail wing , or a sock or a weenie or a coon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:53 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

thats a fact right there.my cur dog will come to me when i whistle no matter if hes treed or not,my walker will do the same unless shes treed then the only way your going to see her that night is me getting her off the tree.if a dog trees in some of these gulfs around here you might not get out until the next day,ive had to do that alot of times thinking the whole time i have to be out of my mind lol.i still will go to that walker in a gulf if i have enough burn time left in my light,but if i dont i just go to the truck,cause she aint leaveing there till the next day sometime.i will throw my coat down where i want her to be at the next day and she has been there everytime,i use a old tracker on my dogs so when i get home i can still track them and i can tell when there comming out of the gulf,and when i see there comming out ill just drive were i left my coat and there either at the coat or they will soon be there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:09 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Skeets what do you mean by gulf?

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:27 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

mr.maximus what we call gulfs here is where theres a big creek running down the side of the mountain in thru a big holler.coons will try to run down in a gulf if they can cause they know a dog cant put as much pressure on them like they can on flat ground.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:15 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

skeets wrote:
mr.maximus what we call gulfs here is where theres a big creek running down the side of the mountain in thru a big holler.coons will try to run down in a gulf if they can cause they know a dog cant put as much pressure on them like they can on flat ground.

So I am guessing The creek would have a lot of waterfalls and the banks would be steep?? What's a holler verses a valley?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:16 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

right,there lots of waterfalls and real dangerous.seems like everyyear somebody gets killed around them things.people get to close to the edge and slip off of them,in fact somebody this weekend fell walking around them waterfalls but it didnt kill him.valley is land thats not mountains,if somebodys going off the mountain,they will say iam going to the valley.a holler is 2 big hills, at the bottom of those hills is what we call a holler.a dog will tree in them hollers and you cant hear them worth nothing,and its harder to pick up on a tracker,sometimes all you can do is just walk and listen.