CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm sure some of you have seen full blood Black and Tan x full blood Redbone crosses. What color do these litters turn out?

Thanks

Daylene

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:59 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

YEARS AGO I CROSED B&T MALE TO RED FEMALE GOT SOME ALLRED SOME B&T SOME HIGH TANS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:29 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Both the parent dogs were sure enough full blood for their breed?

I'm trying to figure out if the red bone breed is ee at extension (like a red Irish setter) or E with ay at agouti (like a red dashhound). Having a mixed color litter doesn't make sense, unless I'm missing something, as both breeds breed true for color. So, depending on the make up of the Redbone the litter should be all red or all black and tan.

If anyone already knows this feel free to jump in and put me out of my misery.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:16 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

How bout this. If 2 is a true number and 1 is a true number if you add them together will the answer be 1 or 2... No you combine the two to a true #3... How bout 2/2=1 2/1=2 That makes sense right??

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

downby07,

I appreciate your trying to help me out of my conundrum, but for this case it shouldn't be a 1+2 = 3. It's more like: 2 is bigger than 1. Since 2 is bigger and can get away with it he ties up 1 and hides him under the rug. Now 2 and 1 are both still present but you can only see 2 because 1 is hidden under the rug.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:52 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

the ones that get the redbones color traits will be redbone color and the ones that get the black & tans color traits will be black & tan.
so some pups are gonna look redbone and some b&t.

Last edited by toe cutter on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:14 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

toe cutter,

Colors in dogs are caused by more than one color gene. So it's not as simple as they get red from one parent or black and tan from the other.

That being said however, I while I was writing up a long explanation of why the litters had to be all red or all black I did think of a possibility that would all allow a mixed color litter. If the the red dog bred was ee ayat then when bred to a black n tan color dog (who would be EE atat) you could get some pups that are Ee ayat. It is possible that these pups would appear solid red like a red Dachshund (we know from color testing that red Dachshunds are EE rather than ee).

So, thanks for letting me think this through "outloud" in a manner of speaking.

Has anyone else seen litter out of a full blood Black and Tan and a full blood Redbone?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:48 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

with walkers ,blueticks and english coonhounds, are they not actually still the same breed as they were in 1944 but just a different color line of the same breed ,,breed being coonhound.

Last edited by toe cutter on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ok, Thanks for the info. I was aware that Blueticks and English used to be the same breed but not that Redbones were bred from Black and Tans. That brings up another question that is related: do Black and Tan's ever have red colored pups pop out in litters? Did they ever in the past?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:26 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

many breeding experiments were done to eventually come up with a distinct line of red hounds. i'm not sure just what they were.

the folloing is copied from redbone history websites.

As is the case with most of the other coonhound breeds, the ancestors of the Redbone were foxhounds. A Bloodhound cross is said to have been made, and it's also said that the blood of the irish hounds was also introduced later. This latter cross is said to account for the white chest and feet markings which still occasionally show up in Redbone pups today..
Solid red coonhounds have been documented in the United States since the 1700s. In the latter half of the 18th century, red foxhounds were brought to North America by Scottish immigrants. Other red scenthounds were imported from Ireland around the same time, just before the start of the Civil War. Combinations of those dogs, primarily orchestrated by breeders in Georgia and Tennessee, formed the foundation of what later became today’s true-breeding Redbone Coonhounds. Early-on, no real attempt was made to develop red hounds that consistently bred true to type. Eventually, a small group of fanciers in the southern United States started a selective breeding program to develop a stable line of solid red hunting hounds that had hotter noses and were faster than other American coonhounds. The first few generations of these red scenthounds were called “Saddlebacks,” because they often were born with a black, saddle-like patch over their backs. Selective breeding eventually eliminated the black patching, leaving a rich, solid red coat on a hound that consistently breeds true to type. The Georgian foxhunter, George L. F. Birdsong, is said to have owned some of the foundation stock of this breed.

Last edited by toe cutter on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:20 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i have hound mutt that is black with some white on his chest and feet that has ticks in it. his sire was a 1/2 black and tan 1/2 blue tick cross (looked like a black n tan) his dam was a 1/2 blood hound, walker redbone cross (looked like a blood hound). there were 3 black lab looking pups (like mine) 3 english blue tick looking pups,2 walker looking pups, 2 high tan looking pups

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Think about this a while. I once knew of a cross between a reg. Plott and a reg.Bluetick. There was no chance any thing else could have got to the Plott female other than the Bluetick male that was a known fact. All the pups came black & tan ,they would have passed for reg. b&t's and yet they didn't have a drop of b&t blood in them. Can anyone explain this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:36 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

stonehill wrote:
Think about this a while. I once knew of a cross between a reg. Plott and a reg.Bluetick. There was no chance any thing else could have got to the Plott female other than the Bluetick male that was a known fact. All the pups came black & tan ,they would have passed for reg. b&t's and yet they didn't have a drop of b&t blood in them. Can anyone explain this.

The Reg. Plott Female Was probably BLACK WITH A LITTLE BRINDLE TRIM AND PUMPKIN SEED OVER THE EYES!!!!

An old solid brindle grey faced cur type plott female bred to a Bluetick would never have B&T pups!!!

I don't care about other breeds,but study my plotts

The Okefenokee Swamp Promoter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:07 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You are right about the Plott female in that she was black,in fact if she had any brindle at all I don't remember it. Another thing that no doubt helped to make b&t pups was the fact that the blue dog was a dark colored dog with tan (not redtick) trim.
plottten wrote:
stonehill wrote:

The Reg. Plott Female Was probably BLACK WITH A LITTLE BRINDLE TRIM AND PUMPKIN SEED OVER THE EYES!!!!

An old solid brindle grey faced cur type plott female bred to a Bluetick would never have B&T pups!!!

I don't care about other breeds,but study my plotts

The Okefenokee Swamp Promoter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:35 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Years ago we bred a registered B&T female to a grade redbone. She had 11 pups, 1 was B&T and the other 10 were red. Some of the red ones had darker hair on their backs, but most looked like registered redbones.

GrNtCh Allnite Smokin' Tank (2 x Grand American top 20)
NtCh First Class Ragin' Roxie (2 x Grand American top 20)