CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

when i was a kid my grandpa, would alway have a hound pup running loose on the farm, they start treeing squirrels and ground hog, i squirrel hunted with hounds for years. i think curs are better at it because they will use nose, ears and eyes to get the jobs done. i had a walker/cur mix was a dandy squirrel dog and coon dog too, only thing she bump a squirrel at night sometime, and seen her tree coon in the daytime. you shoot some squirrels out to a hound he will start treeing them

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have squirrel hunted my 2 year old walker male a few times and it made him a better pressure tree dog i killed about 60 over him didnt hurt a thing just made him better

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:36 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

There's probably many hounds that are squirrel hunted, we just don't hear about them. And I would say many more that would make good squirrel dogs if hunted that way. This Crossbred pup that I have is really focused on squirrel right now and I'm going to try and cultivate that and then coon hunt her some.
Thanks for the comments.

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:02 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Glad to hear she's coming along and working out for you !!!!!! Me and a friend of mine are bottleraising a litter of Walker x Bluetick pups right now. My buddy's NITECH Walker was accidently bred by a nice young Bluetick and he didnt really want them so we stepped in and took over. Sooo I guess I am going to have a lil more personal experience with crossbreds now.....

RBIMBS CCH CH PR' Warrior River Medusa
CCH GRCH AKC CCH PR' Kayla's Lil Bit of Honey
UWP CCH GRCH PR' Warrior River Karma N Effect
UWP CH Warrior River's Gap Creek Piper
CH Cross Check's Warrior River Rimfire

~Gone But Always In My Heart~
CH AKC CCH PR' Kayla's Copperhead Baby Boy
GRCH PR' K&Z's She's Krazy Hammered
SHR CH North River Big Jake, JH
http://www.warriorriverkennels.com

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Bottle raising is tough business. Good luck and get us some pics when you can. Pups may all look like Walkers now but may tick up when they get a little older.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:22 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

These are the pups. 2 females and one male. We have started calling them "blukers".

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:19 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My Uncle had a reg. walker female back in the 70's that timbered with the squirrell. She was deadly!!!!! From her had 2 litters and from her daughter 2 litters.......kept us in coon and beutiful memories up till 2008!

Yes, back in the day folks hunted for food to survive! They where meat dogs!!!!!! Be careful trying to train some strains of dogs on squirrell today as some are bred (wired) with so much tree instinct that it can be a catastrophy if your actually wanting an accurate tree dog!!!!

Old timers hunted and trained with squirrell and also "rabbit"! Grandpa said.......
if a dog can't run a rabbit, he can't run a coon!!!!! Times are different now and most dogs are different!!!!!! Be careful!!!!!

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:31 pm 
IP:
tnfarmboy wrote:
spurs up wrote:
Get off the bar stool and go hunting-- you might see a good dog if you do it every day .

I've seen a lot of good bird dogs. I've seen a lot of good coon dogs, too. In all my years of hunting, I've never seen a coon dog that would point on a bird. I've seen coon dogs tree squirrels. I've even seen em run deer. But birds? That seems a little far-fetched to me, bud.

Just like Lynyrd Skynyrd sang it, "I've seen a lot of people who thought they were cool. But then again, Lord I've seen a lot of fools."

Had my 8 month old walker female out about a week ago for a daytime walk in the woods. She went on point while walking a fencerow. Been hunting 26 years and would not have believed it had I not seen it for myself.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well I am glad you got to see her point--I am not saying all hounds will point--as well we know all hounds can't run and tree a coon--but I am saying same as I did when I started this conversation--you will see a lot of things if you hunt a lot--no one will ever see it all--that is why we do it nowadays -- because it is intertaining and good for our souls -- most people are not hunting for their survival these days. And remember you cannot make a good hunting dog from a bar stool or the tv room--and I am not against drinking with friends, listening to Lenard and others in the juke box and the pleasure one recieves at the honky tonks--however I do think there is too much time wasted on tv and sitting around being lazy. The breeding and pedigrees of the hounds today are impressive and really bring out the genetic traits we are breeding for--but thankfully a dog is still a dog and a very flexable animal--the guy that can't believe a hound can and will point birds would probably really find it hard to believe that they can also be used to find contraband and drugs for the police.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Back during the 80's when I was much younger we had a Bluetick, his name was Duke. He was one hell of a hound. I would lay in bed and get tired of hearing him tree (because we did not have AC back then and always kept our windows up at night) I would get out of bed and go knock or shot the coon out thinking he would come to the house.
But by the time I would get home he would be treed again. The next morning we would get up and call him in, load him up and take him deer hunting. He would run deer all day and tree coons all night. If we took him hunting during the day and wanted to hunt squirrels we would start looking up in the trees and get on to him if he stared acting like he wanted to hunt deer. He would tree squirrels all day long. He was one of those once-in-a-lifetime-dogs. He was one of the best ever, the best ever for us. His son was great but he was no Duke! If we would have hunted him as a straight out coon dog there is no telling how good of a coon hound he would have become. Believe this or not, but it is the absolute truth! As he got older he got hard-of-hearing and would get behind the other hounds. He would stop and listen and by the time I would get around in front of the other hounds Ole Duke would be right there with those young dogs, he would cut them off! He was one of those ounce-in-a-lifetime dogs that could and would do it all! He has been gone for over twenty five years now but we all still talk about him every once in a while.

A little off topic, but yes there are hounds out there that you can squirrel hunt with!

We still miss you Duke.