CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:34 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Is there a line of hounds being bred now that excells on squirrels? It doesn't matter what breed, just pure hound. Is there anyone breeding hounds for the primary purpose of squirrel hunting without ever being switched over to coons?
I coon hunted with hounds for many years and now I'm squirrel hunting with curs. The curs do ok but I still like the all around nature of a good hound.
Is there anything out there to fit this order or is this just a pipe dream?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Why can't you just use your coon dog? I've been running my coon/Bear dogs on squirels for years they do a fine job. the only issue is you may tree a coon early in the day at times, but I have trouble finding fault with that. They just seem to know when it's dark it is time to switch to coon. I've never really had an issue with squirrles at night. I sometimes headout early afternoon and squirrel hunt a few hrs then go back to the truck grab my light and start coon huntin. If it leaves a track and climbs a tree and your hound hasn't been broke off of it then it should naturally run and tree it. JMO good luck and have fun. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If you have a good hound it will hunt whatever you want it to hunt and do a good job of it. When I was younger and we had all kinds of game--before the farmers removed all the hedge and fence rows and started using chemicals to kill all the weeds in their corn and bean fields and turned all the hay fields into more weed free corn and bean fields---I would run rabbits -- tree squirrels -- and point pheasants and quail with a Walker hound -- Yes I said POINT pheasants. At night my hounds knew very well that I was coon hunting and NEVER ran a rabbit -- squirrel or deer or any other off game. If you are an ambitious hunter and have a smart dog you only need one---a hound. BUT--do not expect a dog to know what to do unless you get out there A LOT to show him you are a hunter too !! I knew a lot of so called hunters that never could seem to get their dog trained from a bar stool.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:33 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for the comments but I guess I didn't explain myself in the first post. I don't have hounds anymore, just curs. I thought there might be someone that was raising some consistent squirrel treeing hounds. These curs are lacking something, from my viewpoint, that a good hound provides.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:54 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

spurs up wrote:
and point pheasants and quail with a Walker hound -- Yes I said POINT pheasants.

JMO, but I'd have to see that one to believe it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Get off the bar stool and go hunting-- you might see a good dog if you do it every day .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:23 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

spurs up wrote:
Get off the bar stool and go hunting-- you might see a good dog if you do it every day .

I've seen a lot of good bird dogs. I've seen a lot of good coon dogs, too. In all my years of hunting, I've never seen a coon dog that would point on a bird. I've seen coon dogs tree squirrels. I've even seen em run deer. But birds? That seems a little far-fetched to me, bud.

Just like Lynyrd Skynyrd sang it, "I've seen a lot of people who thought they were cool. But then again, Lord I've seen a lot of fools."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:03 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Like I said friend--you have been somewhere where they play juke-boxes to know about Lenoard somebody--but when it comes to hunting--it is true there are things you have never seen and probably will not. The truth is that there are few people alive today that can say they have given their dog the hunting time he deserves. Just too many other things in life that distracts a man from being a good hunter these days. Years ago hunting -- not just coon -- was a way of life -- not a sport in the way it is thought of today--that is practiced on occasion-- it was a matter of life and survival -- a man and his dog saw many things together -- daily -- every day and then again tomorrow. Those days and those ways are gone.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:35 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I like how you automatically assume that I go to bars and not hunting cause I listen to Skynyrd. That just shows how ignorant you are.
Hounds are wired to run game, not get to them and stop. So like I said, this is just my opinion, but I'm glad I'm wearing boots after reading that story :D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:25 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I'M 40 YEARS OLD, AND STARING COON DOGS ON SQUIRRELS IS THE WAY A LOT OF HUNTERS STARTED THEIR DOGS WHEN I WAS GROWING UP, BUT YOU DONT SEE THAT TO MUCH NOW DAYS. BUT I HAD A RED DOG THAT I COULD SQUIRREL HUNT ALL DAY, THEN COON HUNT ALL NITE.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

RUFFUS had a red dog????????? thats a shock! lol just kiddin. I was thinking of takin my red dog and turning her into a squirrel dog if shell take. i dont c y it cant be done. they run and tree! :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:12 pm 
IP:
May be you dont know it, but just about every coon hound, does have bird dog
in there pedigree. So if he said it I beleive it. All of this breeding was done back
behind barn.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well it is hard to tell some know it all youngins anything--- and that is also why a lot of knowledge goes to a grave with a man--it is easier to keep some of lifes experiences to oneself than to share it trying to help someone and be belittled in the process. I have been through experiences similar to this conversation before when trying to explain some history and breeding of fighting chickens to todays young sportsmen--it seems in that arena there are those too that have seen it all and think that the strains of birds being sold today have always been around. Any mention of a winning strain coming from an old barn yard cross comes across to some --I have seen it alls--like you just mentioned the birds ancester was a swan.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:44 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

dwoocox wrote:
in there pedigree.

When was there ever bird dog breeding done with hounds? With the exception of Plotts and Leopard Hounds, all of the breeds today can be traced back to foxhounds. Plotts were for hogs and Leopards for bear, but I've never heard of anything being done with bird dogs. You might be right, but I'll still never believe that a coon hound would point a bird unless I seen it with my own eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:21 pm 
IP:
dwoocox wrote:
in there pedigree. So if he said it I beleive it. All of this breeding was done back
behind barn.

I am going to change this quite a little bit. There was some dogs breed to bird dogs
and all other kind of dogs to try and get some kind edge on the old time dogs.
But I think it would be unfair to all the hunters that have breed he right way, and
have made hunting the way it is today, any way I still like it.