CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: upstate sc
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

it might just be the people i go huntin with but its almost like coons are exctinct now it is crazy all ever happens is a den or a slick either we have horrible dogs or huntin has gotten bad in upstate sc

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: upstate sc
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:08 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Don't feel bad! I hunt in Pelzer, and we've slick treed or had a den the past 4 weekends. The only coon I've treed was one I caught and turned out again, and my pregnant blue dog was the only one to tree that one...our old Walker dog even got that one backwards. Glad to hear we aren't alone! I was getting frustrated with the old boy LOL!

UKC CH AKC CCH'PR' Moss Blue Carolina Rain
CH 'PR' Cruse's I'm Your Huckleberry
CH 'PR' Poison Whiskey Waylon
NITECH CH 'PR' Carolina Flo
AKC CCH UKC CH 'PR' Cruses PoisonWhiskey WildHoney
'PR' PoisonWhiskey LilMsHonkyTonk
AKC CCH 'PR' PoisonWhiskey Son of the South
'PR' PoisonWhiskey Hello Darlin'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

It sounds like y'all need to come to the coast. In Jacksonboro and Georgetown and even Charleston counties they are crawling with them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

the last one i got was around the charleston area and that was a while bakc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:16 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

It's pretty strange...don't know what's going on. It took me about 3 weeks to catch that coon, and usually you can get one in a day the place I set the trap out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:44 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I am seeing less and less coon population around here. I think the growing number of coyotes have a lot to do with it. When we tree lately, they have been dens or holes. I think there are just as many, I just believe they are changing behavioral patterns. It's not my dog because I will bet you anything with one of them that if we cut the tree down, there is a coon in it. I have seen less and less tracks up creek banks and have been trapping less. It's not because I am killing them either because, unlike many, I don't think a real coondog needs them shot out a lot. I might shoot out 4-5 coons per year, and no one else hunts my land.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:36 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

DS, I have to agree with you. I don't think there are any less on the land we hunt here either....it's all farmland, and we are also the only ones that hunt it. As far as I know, nobody has seen any coyotes over there yet. It seems like there are a lot more coyotes in the midlands and lower part of the state than there are up here. Hopefully the coon will settle down some soon though! I hate going hunting and coming up slick or with a den tree every time. Plus we've been taking some high school kids with us that want to get into coon hunting, and I know it gets boring for them when we don't actually see a coon...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:41 am 
IP:
i no wat u mean every time we go huntin our dogs never find a good track and always come back 2 us mad. then we turn out again in a new spot with water and still no coon but you see coon tracks all ovr the place. we even have feeders that are always full

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:16 pm 
IP:
Well im in the same situation evry1 else seems2b in lastyear we were treeing coon left and right this year it seems like we barely can strike a track i dont think coon reproduced very well this year with the big drought we had thats just a idea i had but hopefully it will get better

Post subject: omg
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:43 am 
IP:
we went huntin last nite and i took my dads english and my buddy took 2 of his dogs well they all treed but it just wasnt sounding like they were all together and usually these 3 dogs tree together

so we get to the trees and all of our dogs have split treed on 3 trees within 20 feet apart and one tree had a sow and a kitten and the other 2 just had a kitten in each it was good news but we only shot 2 they ran the track for almost 1 hr then finally when the sow went up the kittens did 2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:31 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Went to a hunt this weekend and hunted by the Savannah River Nuclear Site. All swamp land; I had 500 circled. There were at least three holes in every dang tree. Only thing we seen was a couple opposums a redbone treed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:56 am 
IP:
we have never had a dog to tree anything else but a coon my walker dog i had when he treed you could here him a mile a way

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:37 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Bad thing is, that was the first time I've seen a redbone tree. It was the only dog in the cast on those trees. Nobody else's dog was on it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Huntin has been tough this year but I have been hunting some "virgin land" and I have had a blast this year. It's been my best year yet! Oh, and by the way, if you aint seen a redbone tree a coon come down to Spartanburg and take my two males and see what happens!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Hey, don't take that as offensive. It was serious, that's the bad thing. I don't have anything against a COONDOG, no matter the color. I just choose to hunt my blues and I have some that I would bet on everytime they tree. Hole or no hole, cut the tree down!