CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:41 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My buddy and I are having some issues finding coons. LOL, I'm sure a lot of people are right now. We normally hunt on the National forest (Kentuck mountain in the oxford/talladega area) and havn't had any luck in the past few months. We hunt on creeks mostly, so they'er easy drops but the dogs run forever until they find a track and then they may or may not tree. My redbone ran 5.3miles, as the crow flies, from where we dropped him to where we picked him up from 10pm until 8am this morning. Now he might have picked up on a bobcat or somthing. I've never seen him run deer or anything other than an armadilo once. Anyway, my question is: Do yall know where a good place to run our dogs would be around this area or within a 45 drive? We are in the Oxford area right off I-20. We don't shoot our coons so you don't have to worry about us shooting YOUR coons. We just want to have fun runnin'em Thats it. Its been so long since we've seen a coon up in a tree I wouldn't know what one would look like. So, any help yall can give to us would be great. I'm sure there is some places around close that we havn't thought of, but any advice on any of this would be great. Thank you all.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

send you a pm

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:01 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

same problem here...can make a mighty fine dog look like junk around alabama...we been having the problem of coon switching tree's and not being in the tree the dogs tree on...or hollow tree's....or running the coon forever and not treeing...BUT, the thing is, that is only "IF" they dogs find a coon to strike on in the first place...

i think anyone thinking they have a top notch dog needs to bring it and hunt it in alabama before they call it a top notch dog that tree's everytime it's turned loose...

i'm in north east alabama and would LOVE to find some more places to hunt...

Kevin

'PR' Allen's Shaker Creek Luke

'PR' Allen's Ragin' Roxie

'PR' Allen's Always Curious Clover

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:49 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble! I've got a 6 month old that I want to start training in the next few months and the coons dont start coming around here by then I'm going to have to go somewhere else to hunt.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:02 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i got a pup i want to start training soon...round here a pup would never get started....my good dog has a hard enough time striking a coon, much less a pup with no experience...feeders help, but still don't guarantee a strike...

coonhunters around here orta come together and pick out a nice spot that's safe to run dogs and all pitch in to trap coons and release there so we all have coons to run..., i've thought of doing that here, but not enough woods to hold many coons.

Kevin

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:59 pm 
IP:
Do you know of the Cahaba River around Oakmulgee Mgt. Area if you do there is some good hunting on any part of the river.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:24 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I've got a friend that is a river guide up there on cahaba river, but I'm not sure where that mgt area is. To my knowledge, I've never been up there around that area. How far would that be from oxford/anniston Alabama?

Post subject: Coons
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:58 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Guys ya'll are getting your panties in a wad over nothing. Heres the problem right now or before all the rain. Dry ground, hot weather, and enough acorns to keep'em laid up for a couple of days. So ya'lls problem is either a good dog with nothing to work or your dogs are culls. I hunt 2 to 3 nights a week because of work, but I have not had a problem of putting a coon or two up every hunt. A little secret, turn loose around 3:30 or 4am. I can not do this much because of work and people not wanting to woke up by barking dogs. However, if you do not tree something after a few of these morning hunts you might ought to look into getting another hound.

2005 U.K.C. Performance Sire
Gadsden, AL
Home: (256)546-4464
Cell:(256)504-7235

Post subject: hurtsboro
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

our black dogs aint having no problems, treed two the other night. you said you never kill them, the places i hunt after deer season would kick me out if they found out i wasnt killing EVERY coon treed. i dont every coon i see but i defintly put enough fur in the mouth to keep em tuned. plenty of coons around hurtsboro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:15 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Please don't assume that my dog is a cull. I'm being nice in saying that. I ran my dog with a NITCH black and tan last night. The owner said my dog had a pretty good cold nose. He picked up before his dog did the first time out then she fell in with him. They ran it for good long while, but the coons outsmarted them last night in the hollins mgt area. Then his dog treed in a thick briar patch. I was holding on to my dog for the sake of keeping two male dogs from fighting since his female NITCH is getting ready to come into heat. It was a very tough night last night fellas. MRTURK can back me up on that. The coon population isn't the best around here. I'm not the only one saying that. Several coonhunters are having problems around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yes those briars were the old Alabama SAW BRIARSSSS!!!!!!!! got 10 feet from the tree and could'nt get to my dog it was a tuff nite. but we had a good time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Thanks again mrturk. I look forward to having some more fun chasin' them dogs LOL, but not through any briarssss.!!!! Maybe next time we'll do better. Again, thanks for inviting me down.

Billy

Post subject: HOLLINS?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:51 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i dont think theres a coon in hollins. you gonna have to do some drivin to get in some coon.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

cullman has lots of coons

Profile  WWW