CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:18 pm 
IP:
I am not having very good luck treeing meat this winter with snow on the ground. i was wondering what time of night is best for hunting in the winter? Thanks for helping out.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:22 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

well this winter the only time we went out hunting was when it was above or just under freezing and we would go right after it got dark and went tell we wanted to quit. we got atleast one every time we went.

Wisconsin Bear Hunter Association Member

Central County Coon Hunters Club Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:28 pm 
IP:
Yea i was told that the eariler in the night the better. Also we have a heat wave comming through this weekend it's suposed to get up around 46 so i think that might put them on the move

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:32 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

this past weekend it got up to 40 something during the day and we went out that and got 3. stayed out tell like 3 looking for my buddies dog. when we finaly found it we found out why we couldn't track it. the antenna got pulled out of the tracking collar. talk about sucky :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:36 pm 
IP:
Haha had some similar stuff happen to me sept the dog treed in a 12 deep ditch and the collar was not getting picked up. Well sounds like it's gonna be a good weekend for hunting

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I guess I have to put this question here since the one I posted got deleted.

Since rifle season has closed November 30; I've been out running my pup during the day. And when we do get some snow I never see any coon tracks. I just finished walk with wick and he states in there several times about winter hunting. So my question is how far north do you guys hunt after it gets cold and the snow starts flying? I'm in Northern Michigan and this year has been unseasonably warm but we usually have lots of snow on the ground by now. But this year has been above freezing most days. I always thought coons hibernated in the winter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:29 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I'm in western NY and I agree. The warm temps have been keeping them denned up more than the extreme cold last winter. They have winter coats and layers of fat on right now. They can't sweat so they overheat if they move around. This keeps them denned up. The temps dropped to 30 the other day and I tree'd 5 just like that. All of them brown from being pissed on in the dens. That means they were holed up for a while. They will hibernate if it gets cold enough but not like all winter long. At least not here. They'll still come out for a nice 20-40 day/night. Some of the best running I do is during nasty snow storms. You know they're going to be on the downwind section of woods in a low spot where the wind gets broken.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:42 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I use to hunt snowshoe hare all winter and have never seen a coon track in the snow. I don't start seeing any sign of them until March when it starts warming up and they are coming out of their dens looking for food and are being hit by cars.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

RTWojo wrote:
I use to hunt snowshoe hare all winter and have never seen a coon track in the snow. I don't start seeing any sign of them until March when it starts warming up and they are coming out of their dens looking for food and are being hit by cars.

I guess it's just a difference in climate/location then. Around here they get hit by cars all year round. The mating season is in February here they give birth in early April.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I guess it would be a climate thing. We usually get over 120" of snow per year. Usually I would have to quit rabbit hunting the end of January and most of February because the snow was just to deep for man and beagle. There will be some coon that go to sleep later in November and December if they're eating off of a deer bait pile. But when the snow get deep they're gone until spring.

Hey any Michigan guys want to comment on this subject?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well I take my pup to the woods to road her 2-3 times a week always in the afternoon. I have yet to see a coon track crossing any of the trails I've been on. There is about 18"-24" of snow on the ground.