CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:59 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If anybody hunts in Salisubury or any where close let me know I go to school in Princess Anne County, and was trying to find some coon hunters in the area.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Hi there,
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:47 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I'm not in MD.... But, this cought my eye. My dad grew up in Salisbury MD... I used to visit my grandfather there as a little girl. My dad's brother was married to a Taylor. The whole rest of my dads family stayed in MD. My dad moved to MA where we were all born and raised. I got to visit one of my cousins in MD last year before he moved to TX. My son goess to college in Annapolis. We stayed in Chestertown and drove to annapolis... the farms and cornfields and soy etc... made me think it was coonhunting HEAVEN!
Good luck finding a hunting bud,
Heather William

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:57 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yea, thanks thats on the other side of the bay bridge.... I would think alot of people do hunt down there mainly because of what you said corn fields, soy, nice land, but hopefully ill find someone.

Post subject: Someone else was looking
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:06 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I know someone was also looking in the Annapolis area. I imagine MOST of MD.. where it isn't built up, would be good hunting???? I can't remember what Salisbury was like... I DO remember Grandys BIG yellow house, the magnolia trees and I LOVED the area. As an adult I've been thru a few areas of MD for Horse business. I used to Dream I'd move to MD to retire. However....... having put about 500 grand into additions on this house... I' think we're stuck here in MA, with NO coonhunting nearby! Waaahhhh!
My grandfather did an Oyster Business back in the old days. And as I recall my father was living on Deal Island perhaps early on. I never remember it all... I know they had a boat called the Mattie Dean. I used to love to hear the stories about my dad, his brother Donald and their cousin Austin Cunningham... they were imps! I guess they had a great time growing up together around Deal Isle. I can only imagine.
I was shocked to see so many of he BIG horse farms falling apart and then built up as developments.... Bad enough to watch it hppen here in MA!
Oh well, progress happens...... Anyway, Goodluck in your search. We'l be doing the same thing in this area when my husband finally has time tog et back into coonhunting w/me! I can't wait to get a working dog! (we have a retired Bluetick an AKC B and T - not the hunting kind) and a greyhound! No coon around here either! :(
Later, heather

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:11 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

MA, just seems like it would be a place for coons to be, what other animals do people hunt down thier?

Post subject: MONEY
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:09 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Peoplw move to MA to make big bucks in the tech fields! It's just our area where all the coon died off. Partially because of develppment and land Value. On our st a two acre buildble lot EMPTY goes for 375 Grand! I bought this house and five stall horse barn, on two acres in 1985 for 170! Unbelievable! Just had a new home built go for 1.6 mill, UGLY as sin! Nice lot though! We are an hour from Boston and an Hour from Providenc RI. If you go out into Western MA there is lots of wilderness left. I ASSUME people must hunt there? Most of the people I meet who even have a CLUE as to what a coonhound is... go hunting up North--NH, ME, VT. More biggame hunters. I have heard from plenty of coonunters in NH etc.... Where we used to hunt in the 70s is all houses now! Yuck! It's SO funny how we visualise other states! My son has a new girlfriend, she lives in Iowa, is from france... I ASSUMED they lived out in coonhound heaven... Richard burst my bubble when he said they live in a CONDO! I just couldn't picture anything but cornfields LOL. I am SO very bad at Geography... How about this one... we're touring "downtown" annaplois.... and I comment to my son... "i DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THERE ARE so MANY POLITICIANS HERE! AND... DUH.. why is the statehouse here" He did not leave me there... embarassed- he actaully calmy said.. this IS the capitol... I DO have a slight excuse... I was head injured in 1997 and I DID lose 10 points of IQ! However, I BARELY passed history all thru school and embarassed my parents when I could NOT say who the father of our country was. AND, You have to understand...my father's family was from the Custis family... You know.... Martha? She MARRIED the father of our country..... I didn't like to learn waht I didn't care about. As a akid, horses and dogs were my only interest. Funny how old senile folks and middleaged head injured ones revert to childhood! :)
Are You from MD or transplanted?
As for the hunting here BTW- i DO know lots of deer, turkey hunters. That is about it. Noone I know except my age (46) and older KNOW what coonhunting is! Unles they read the RED FERN book. I was lucky, my parents exposed us to Everything and we traveled the US. At 13 my parents sent me to horse camp where I was introduced to Walkers, redbones ONE Bluetick I fell in love with, and Coonhunting. I also met my hubby there. Bob was ten, I was 13 and he followed me like a puppy. Up until 1979 we here pals. Then I grew up. He grew up, he married had 2 kids the BEST marriage.... in 2000 his beloved wife, Shelley died suddenly. I read it in my LOCAL paper, they were 15 minutes from my home and I didn't know it. Bob and I re-met, eventually dated and then married=gavve my son Richard his first real family. Sparked the interest in coonhunting again... at a poultry show=we saw a Bluetick! SO- I got Bob a B and T from rescue.... got involved in rescue ( I find dogs in kill shelters for them, when I can).. it was the first B and T we had seen. Then we got the Bluetick....by accident from animal control in CT. And we've fostered B and Ts and the AKC was given to our son by the head of rescue= an AKC show B and T breeder (old fashioned amazing B and Ts but NOT like a hunting hound!!!!)...... so the story goes.... it made us think about hunting again someday and I was bored and REALLY needded a rescue break (it can be Heart breaking!)..... so I visited this site and UKC and someone needed medical advice and I KNEW the answer and I registered and now I am TOTALLY hooked again. We can't WAIT to get a hunting hound!!!! I ssume a Bluetick....but Wyatt will be a hard act to follow- he is NICE, LOUD and was a great hunter I guess...a real coondawg.
SO, Now that I have yacked your eyes off...I'm sorry, the head injury made me even more talkitvve than before and less able to spell and use good grammar! Drives my son Richard NUTS! He was SO used to his smart Mum.... now I look at him, when he has an intellectual Literature Rant.... I I think HUH? :) Then he drives into Boston to visit his intellectual friends.... so he feels "normal" It SUCKS to be so smart ;)
He's a good kid and I ASSUME he'll be in MD for his full four years, he's at a great school! FOR HIM......
Happy hunting, Heather

Profile  WWW