CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Central Iowa
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:24 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hi all - I've got a 10 month old redbone that I'm wanting to start working with but I literally know of no one around the Des Moines area who hunts dogs. Just curious if there's anyone within reason to the Des Moines area that's got some dogs that wouldn't mind if my pup and I tagged along to get him some exposure. Thanks in advance!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Central Iowa
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:21 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Not to be telling a fella his business....but that dog is just the right age to just go walk him around in the woods at night. Finds ya a comfortable log and just have a seat around a creek or something. Most dogs will start themselves if ya let them. Granted there can be a lot of boring nights sitting there by yourself. But believe me...it can make coon dogs out of em. Pup trainers are over rated in my opinion.

Post subject: Re: Central Iowa
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I agree, I have been going out and just sitting in the woods and letting the dog run any chance I can get this summer. And now here in OHIO it is squirrel season as just came in a few weeks back. And I have been taking my young walker out with me when I squirrel hunt. It gets the dog accustom to running the woods, fence crossing, loading up in the truck. Plus it is better than having him just sit in the kennel and get fat. And he has came along a lot further now that he did last winter when I was taking him along during the kill season. I started having him tag long last year when he was only 3 months old. It helps get the drive in them started when you put fur in there mouth. I have always hunted this dog alone. If they have the instinct breed in them, they will start. They do not need another dog to show them. Sometimes it does help to run with another dog, but they can also pick up some bad habits from other dogs or just get to were all they do is follow the other dogs around. Just be careful of what dog you let your young dog run with. Sometimes all it takes is enough time in the woods if you have the right dog.