CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:13 am 
IP:
wondering how many of you have 22r carberated motor and what kind of gas milage youre getting in a 4 wheel drive pickup versus the 22r fuel injected. any thought would be great..

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:50 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have a 84 22r with 31x10.50's, 5 speed, 4x4. I get around 20 miles to the gallon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:23 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I was getting 30-35mpg and that was a 4x4. I was a Toyota tech and there are thing that you can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Don't have the 22r i got the new 2.7 in a 2002 taco with 6inches of lift sitting on 33x12.5 tires(fixen to be setting on 9.0016 improved militarys)and i get between 16 to 18mpg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:28 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

1994 22r fuel injected, normal sized tires. I struggle to get 20mpg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:28 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

BADKARMA wrote:
I was getting 30-35mpg and that was a 4x4. I was a Toyota tech and there are thing that you can do.

and these things to do are? :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:17 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i dont know if its the 22r but i have a 92 toyota with 3in of body lift and have p235's on it( had 33x12.50 couldnt afford gas) motor is a 3.0 V6 with a AT trans fuel injected and im struggling to get 17-18 i was gettin 12-14 with 33s

DON'T FORGET PAPERS MEAN A LIL' BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN PAPERS PUT A COON IN A TREE!!!

Last edited by treemyhound on Thu May 01, 2008 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:34 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

dont know if its the 22r but i have a 92 toyota with 3in of body lift and have p235's on it( had 33x12.50 couldnt afford gas) motor is a 3.0 V6 with a AT trans and im struggling to get 17-18 i was gettin 12-14 with 33s

Sounds like you got some issues with that truck if you are only getting 12-14 with 33 on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:54 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Okay guyes here is how you do it. Having raced these things and built them up from square one. The carbed engine will get better mileage over the FI unit anyday.

You cannot have the mileage and the looks with the big tires so you need to get off the tires or shut off. If you do love those big tires you will need to change gears inthe front and rear dif and also the transmission and transfer case in addition to the speedo gear also. This will put you back into the proper gear ratio again. Remember those big tires can cost you if you do it half assed. Besides is you go up from 235's you will change you center of gravity and it will not be to your advantage.

Those engines love the low range so that is where you want to stick it. Go with a tri y header and a 2.25 exhaust with a flowmaster. Do this exactly! Keep the cat, do not throw it or hollow it out. Use a champion or ngk plug only. No platys or anything special remember. No after market ing either but make sure the coil and ignitor are working right.

Change over to all syn fluids and use the right on in your tranny.

Intake is simple. Do not go free flow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Biggest scam there is in cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!To explain it would take many hours but common sense does prevail. Do not do it to any vehicle!!!!!!!!!!!!

If any one has specific question I can answer them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:53 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

BADKARMA wrote:
Okay guyes here is how you do it. Having raced these things and built them up from square one. The carbed engine will get better mileage over the FI unit anyday.

Those engines love the low range so that is where you want to stick it. Go with a tri y header and a 2.25 exhaust with a flowmaster. Do this exactly! Keep the cat, do not throw it or hollow it out. Use a champion or ngk plug only. No platys or anything special remember. No after market ing either but make sure the coil and ignitor are working right.

Change over to all syn fluids and use the right on in your tranny.

If any one has specific question I can answer them.

So you're saying if i put a "Tri Y"header, a 2.25" exhaust system with a flow master muffler, use the spark plugs that are already in mine, and use synthetic fluids, my Toyota 4WD will go from 17mpg to 35mpg?

I dont believe that for a minute

Home of:

NITECH Beaver Creek Stylish Nellie

CH Whitey's Stylish Samantha

Triple X-Rated

Rank's Stylish Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:14 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

It does not matter if you believe it or not :lol: :lol:

Tell me what your set up is including your gears for the transmission, transfercase and difs. I do not mean what they are suppose to be but what they are. You do know that Toyota did change much of that and it was never listed right? Just let me know and I can help you. Tell me what you are going to be using the truck for and what you expect out of it and I will help you set it up. Also give me a dollar amount over $2000 that you are willing to spend.

No not just any Tri -Y but one that is built properly with the correct length of tubes. You do know what lengths you need right? 8)

Post subject: toyota
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:26 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Tell me what your set up is including your gears for the transmission, transfercase and difs. I do not mean what they are suppose to be but what they are. You do know that Toyota did change much of that and it was never listed right? Just let me know and I can help you. Tell me what you are going to be using the truck for and what you expect out of it and I will help you set it up

I do not mean what they are suppose to be but what they are.

no clue what gear ratios are- i assumed they were all the same -

so my first question is---

are stock diferentials 89- 94 4 cyl all the same --?

stock 89 - 94 4 cyl ex cab 4 wd - i collect these trucks sorta (have 3 in various stages of disrepair ) lol

using truck for hunting /hauling dogs -

lot of riggin at 20 mph -no interstates

what changes could i make that would pay quickly--
in gas saving

sound to me like you have a lot of knowlege

id be very interested-

looking for better gas milage-- also a better ride- as cheap as possible -

whats best shocks etc-- for a stock truck -?- i find all kinds of info

on the lifted big wheel stuff--

90% of bear hunters round here run these old toyota trucks-

we dont do a lot of real serious off road--- not looking to climb a cliff -- id guess you might call it trails-
want to keep truck as stock as possible but need better ride and mileage-- -

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: Re: toyota
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:02 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

are stock diferentials 89- 94 4 cyl all the same --?
No, basically it depends on the transmission you have. But it goes further than that, There have been numerous changes in packages and gearing through the years that have not been documented by Totota

stock 89 - 94 4 cyl ex cab 4 wd - i collect these trucks sorta (have 3 in various stages of disrepair ) lol

what changes could i make that would pay quickly--
in gas saving

looking for better gas milage-- also a better ride- as cheap as possible -

whats best shocks etc-- for a stock truck -?- i find all kinds of info

First I will assume the truck is factory and not messed with. You will need to stick with a tire size or 235-75-15, do not go any larger. Make sure your plug wires are in good order, there are problems with crossfiring. Spark plugs use only Denso plugs. Coils do go bad fast so I would get a new one put in. Make sure your air inteke system is all there. Do not modify it in any way. Make sure you are running a cat also.

One thing I would do would be to get a heavier flywheel. It is not cheap but man can you tell a difference when going slow.

Shocks...I would go with a top grade shock, you do not need anything special like Rancho or KYB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

BADKARMA -

thanks for information-

pete

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:13 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Badkarma I have a question for you.
I have a 1980 Toyota truck with the 20R motor,stock 4 speed manual and transfer case, 5:29 diffs with detroit soft lockers in rear, detroit tru trac up front, 35x12.50x15 mickey baja claw radials, it has a 6-7" suspension lift and a 4" body lift with dual rancho 5000 shocks all the way around, 34/36 dgev Weber carb with K&N filter, y header with stock catalitic and flow master muffler.
I use it for my bear hunting rig. I only go between 5-10 miles an hour traveling 2 tracks. On the highway I only run 55-60 miles an hour. I am currently getting 12 miles a gallon. My only complaints are the gas mileage and the suspension is stiffer than an old lumber wagon.
Is there anything I can do to get in in the high teens to low 20 mile range? What shocks would you recomend to soften up the front ride some?