CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: SNARES??
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

today i got a couple dozen of snares too expand my trapline and mostly fool around with but from what i read i guess set them in deer trails, holes in the fences of old pastures, and other sets they cant be too hard too figure out right???? but i was wondering if i wax and dye them like a normal leg hold or do i just boil and dye? like i said im new too this snare thing so if anyone could tell me treatment and placment at sets that would be great> and what kind of sets do you guys make with your snares and what sizes?? thanks alot... OUT

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: SNARES??
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:27 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

usaly I just boil them in water with a little baking soda in it to take off the shine

the art of setting snares is much to long to get into your best bet is to go to Trapperman.com and regester there then check ot the archives theres a lot of info there you will find usefull

good luck by the way you can use a snare in just about any place that you would stick a conni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:57 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Snare's are a Great Trap, They work real well In Trail Set's Under & through Fence's, I'll add some more Info. a little latter, I was just getting ready to start a Topic on Primitive Trapping Skill's Deadfall's and Snare's,

There's lot's of Info. on other Trapping Site's on Snare's and Deadfall's, Here's a Topic showing a Real Nice Log Deadfall Trap, Survival Trapping,
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/22086

Here's some Great Survival Trapping Info.,
http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/surv/traps.htm

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/food-2.php

I'll get some Good Link's on Snaring posted I know lot's of different Site's but I'll have to add them latter,

huntertradertrapper@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:48 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i boil mine to take the shine off of them, and depending on where i am setting them i either spray paint them black brown or tan, its important to put a light coat of paint on them, too much and the lock wont slide properly. in missouri we have a long list or guidlines to folllow when using snares, actual snares cand be used unless set under water, we use cable restraints for land trapping, these have a deer stop on them so deer can pull their feet out, they also have breakaway j hooks so livestock can pull them apart if they are accidentaly caught, and they have relaxing locks so that when the animal quits pulling it lets a little slack in it instead of continuously choking. i set on just about and deer, cattle or trail coming through fences, but when we set next to a fence the trap has to be a foot away from the fence when the loop is all the way closed and there cant be and bruch bigger than 1/2 inch in diameter in the catch circle. our loops also have to be 6 inches or more off the ground etc......... we got lots of rules. i ste mine about 7 inches off the ground with about a 8 inch loop and put a jump stick over them to keep the deer out and make them yotes and foxes duck their heads right in the loop, and i put tall grass on either side of the loop and a litle under it, this helps hide the cable and makes yotes stick their head right in the loop.

Black Back Hunter and Black Back Daisy
ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Same as everyone else i boil mine in baking soda to take the shine and takes the little bit of oil off them. and when i've done that i boil them in green & black(OR ONE OR THE OTHER) walnut hauls with a few dead dirty limds and dead leaves. Which covers scent and it dies them to a dirty brown color. I done the same with my new foot holds with the same result. Takes alittle longer on the foot holds. It's simple and cheap i can pick this stuff up out of the backyard. As far as sizes groundhog,opossum,skunk 5-6" loop 2" high fox 8" loop 8" high coon 6-8" loop 3-5" high bobcat 8" loop 8" high coyote 10-12" loop 10-12" high beaver 10" loop 2-3" high mink 3-5" loop 1-2" high Which snaring mink is a pain in the A## But i have done it. 3" loop is what i like.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks yall just about time too get the turkey frier out to do some dying!!!! OUT

Post subject: snares
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:21 pm 
IP:
how do you properly make a snare can anyone tell me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:11 pm 
IP:
buying them is the best way to go. Make sure you check up on your snaring laws. deer stops are the s.o.b in snaring.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Snares are easy and cheap to make. You can save 2/3 of the cost of buying pre made snares. There are lots of site that sell slides and aircraft cable. I use heated nuts to make up mine, make sure to know if you need a break aways where you are trapping. I use a 6 foot snare with copper penny double drilled as a swivel, attached to a 6 foot grounding cable ( many times I reuse a snare as a grounding cable)