CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:20 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Guy I work with had a squirrel infestation in his attic,caught 6 or 7 with a cage trap,one of them chewed his foot off for no perticullar reason.must have been the Forrest Gump of squirrels

Cane Creek Kennels
Home of
Little River Stylish Jazmen
YU-GI-OH's Country Road Block

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:18 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i use alot of different kinds of traps the best advise i can give you is make sure that the animal cannt be seen from people driving by and always make sure you have a metal tag on it with your name and info on it other wise you can get into some trouble if a game and fish officer finds it or sees you checking it.

grch'pr'reynold's red rose
ch'pr'tree chopins putem up thunder

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:20 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I trap off of the road a lot. I have never had a trap get gone or lost any critters. The key is to have a good pocket set in the bank and cover the trap with a slight layer of dirt to hide it. I use rubber jaw 1 & 1/2 coil springs and it does not hurt the coon at all. If you don't have any rubber jaw traps you can just rap the jaws with a couple of layers of duck tape and it will do the same thing. It gives just enough cusion to keep from breaking the bone or hurting the coon. You just have to make sure you check the traps early before anyone else gets up and about.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:06 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i catch all my coons on a creek, right off the road. about 20 yards. I have Not had to move my trap and i catch 1 to 2 coons a night..

BLAZIN BAKWOODS KENNELS
Home of:
PR Blazin Bakwoods Tag
PR Ryan's Blazin Bakwoods Tahoe
PR Blazin Timber Blue Moose ---RIP

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:35 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

the egg traps take to long to release coons, i can let a coon out of a grizz getr in less than 30 seconds, i trap off the road mostly. when you are in an area where stolen coons and traps are a problem, you can do one of two things, quit trapping there, or hide your catch better. in areas like that, i used a drag or a piece of 1/8" cable about 6-20' lond, i stake it down on both ends. one end is staked next to the trap, and and the other end is staked in a brush pile, or under a bush, anywhere a coon can hide, i them attach the trap the the cable with a one way slide lock, once the coon is caught, the only direction it can go is the direction of the slide wire. the coon willl run to the end of it, and when it realizes it cant go any farther, it will lay down and hide. this keeps the coon and trap out of plain view of anyone who could be pasing by.
about the egg traps, i have had a few of them get chewed up by coons as well. if you have time to look for the coon, you can tie a cinder block to your trap, and set it like normal, once a coon is caught, follow the drag marks and you will find your coon. make sure you use something heavy enough that a coon cant pull up a tree.

Black Back Hunter and Black Back Daisy
ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:10 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

snares are pretty hard to pick up on the side of the road butonce a animal is in squrlin around there not that hard to pick up

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Im in Iowa so you can trap the bridges and roads without permission, because the state owns the land like 30 ft from the center of the road. In Minnesota you have to have permission because the land owner owns the land to the center of the road. So look up the laws in your area. Try to find information on long lining, there are guys around me that do it. I just dont have the time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:40 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i trap right in the ditch so when i check my trap i just ride down the road and look but ive tried puttin it in the woods but ive had no luck the only spot i can catch one is in the ditch and i usually cover the cage with leaves and grass that way nobody knows its there but me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:19 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

there's a trap called the dog proof trap. they are the best traps i have ever used. the only thing ive ever caught was coons and possums but it will break the foot. you can buy them at just about every trapping store

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:39 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Absolutely I run between 150 and 300 sets all 220s in buckets and blind trail sets. Setting along the road if legal in ur area is a great time and labour saver. One of my favorite sets is a 220 at the end of a culvert going under the road