CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Steel Leg Traps
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Where do you guys set steel leg traps for coons and other such animals?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:30 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

What are you tring to do trap for fur or dogs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:33 pm 
IP:
Find a good shallow spot in a creek about two inches deep and set your trap in the water about 6-8 inches from the bank. then punch a 8inch hole in the bank of the creek in front of your trap angled down away from the trap. Then all you have to do is drop your bait in to the hole you made. I have always used the catfish dough bait you get in the premade balls ( blood and crawfish works good.) be sure to place some large leaves on top of the trap to help hide it. Trapperman.com has some really good information you might want to look at also.

joel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

redtickrule wrote:
What are you tring to do trap for fur or dogs

Just to have a little fun mainly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

bluecollar_and_redbones wrote:
Find a good shallow spot in a creek about two inches deep and set your trap in the water about 6-8 inches from the bank. then punch a 8inch hole in the bank of the creek in front of your trap angled down away from the trap. Then all you have to do is drop your bait in to the hole you made. I have always used the catfish dough bait you get in the premade balls ( blood and crawfish works good.) be sure to place some large leaves on top of the trap to help hide it. Trapperman.com has some really good information you might want to look at also.

joel

How does this catch a coon if the trap is in the water 6-8 inches from the bank and your bait is in a hole 8 inches deep on the bank? I believe you I am just wondering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:28 pm 
IP:
The Coon will work all around the hole trying to get to the bait with the hole being angled away from the trap it kinds forces it to work for the bait right by the trap. then as soon as he steps in it you've got em. coons will smell your trap if you put it too close to youre bait, and the trap being in the water also helps to cover up the smell of the trap and you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Won't he be able just to reach in and get it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:41 pm 
IP:
Every one I have caught has opened the hole big enough to stick youre fist in. when you make the hole it only needs to bee about an inch in diameter. and again the bottom of the hole being angled away from the trap forces the coon to work the hole from the trap side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:43 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

FIRST OF ALL, THE TRAPS IN ? ARE FOOTHOLD TRAPS NOT LEGHOLD TRAPS! WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT TRAPS NEVER CALL THEM LEGHOLDS, THIS IS A TERM THE ANTI'S CAME UP WITH. THESE TRAPS ARE USED TO CATCH CRITTERS BY THE FOOT, NOT BY THE LEG. NOW TO ANSWER YOUR ? ON A GOOD COON SET. TAKE SOME TINFOIL AND WRAP THE PAN COMPLETELY. SET IT IN A SMALL STREAM NEXT TO THE BANK SO THAT THE WATER IS JUST OVER THE PAN. PLACE THE LOOSE JAW OF THE TRAP PARRELL WITH THE SHORE AND PLACE A ROCK UP AGAINST IT TO GUARD IT. ATTACH THE TRAP CHAIN TO A SINDER BLOCK AND PUT IT IN A DEEP POOL OF WATER. THIS WAY IF YOU CATCH A RAT OR A MINK THEY WILL DROWN QUICKLY. BE SURE TO CHECK THE TRAP EVERYDAY BECAUSE 80% OF THE TIME A COON WILL NOT DROWN, BUT WILL BE UP ON THE BANK AND IT WILL LOOK LIKE A BOMB WENT OFF WHERE HE HAS FOUGHT THE TRAP. IF HE'S HOOKED GOOD HE'LL BE RITE THERE. 75% OF THE TIME BY USING THIS SET YOU'LL GET A DOUBLE PAW CATCH. THE COON SEES SOMETHING SHINNY IN THE WATER AND WILL USE BOTH PAWS TO PICK IT UP. GOOD LUCK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Alright, thanks for helping me finally get it. Thanks a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:14 pm 
IP:
[quote="BIGDADDY"]FIRST OF ALL, THE TRAPS IN ? ARE FOOTHOLD TRAPS NOT LEGHOLD TRAPS! WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT TRAPS NEVER CALL THEM LEGHOLDS

I second what BIGDADDY said. Do not call them legholds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:02 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Big Daddy is right. And that set is a deadly one, too.