CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I painted this great treeing dog on the hideboard this week

and while looking into the history and function of the thing, found myself wandering into a few trapper sites. From there, mountain man stuff...
Now there is a trappers convention this weekend, close enough to try to get to, but I am sort of getting just a hair in over my head!

Something in me tells me that there may be a bit of tension between the trapper vs dog crowd.

If you both consider a hide a hide, I would really appreciate any advice, or even better a guide as to what to do if I get there.

I would LOVE to get my brother who is a blackpowder recreator guy, to take lots of pictures of City Slickers at Rendezvous in Colorado and make my own portraits.

A Taxidermist is telling me he has buffalo shoulderblades etc for me to paint wildlife on.

I started with dogs. Honestly I want to do portraits and commissions, but how do you you all fee about this stuff. Any hide in the wild you you would like to see on bones or body parts... or is the hide board the strongest presentation?
dj*

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:13 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

First, let me say that is an AWESOME picture.When I get my remodeling done, I will be getting one done, I just have to figure out what I want it painted on- the fur stretcher is a GREAT idea and should make good decor.
Around here, there really aren't any trappers anymore because our hides don't bring enough to make it worth the trouble,so there aren't many of the issues you get between trappers and houndsmen, like dogs getting caught in traps and land disputes, etc.I do some nuisance removal, and only try to hunt on posted land I have permission to be on.The law also doesn't allow trapping on public land, so that cuts down as well.
Check into a book titled "The Mountain Men" by George Laycock, or anything you can get your hands on about the travels of Lewis & Clark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:29 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My boyfriend's daughter is going to school in Spartanberg?..burg??? anyway, the closest I have been out your way was a wild adventure in 1973... ah such fun!
I have JUST found a bunch of AZ trappers online, after I posted, and they are finally helping me out.
I have a brother... AND I just found the painting I did of his adopted mountain family, like 2001...
and I really love the groups. This will be my first adventure with them. I have RenFaire folks I hang out with, not personally, but they let me dress funny some times.

I will bring my camera and probably find some hounds. The tear is that there seems to be a coonhound event on Saturday. If I had a few buddies, I may try to make it all at one time, but I don't think in the heat, two directions alone in the car for unexplored parts it the BEST plan. Only need to get lost once.

Still feeling out the woods. Now I am soliciting photos of smelly mountain folks!
dj*

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I sure would like to have a board painted like that will you paint for hire or just for your self? Thanks Wayne Moss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:54 pm 
IP:
I don't think there is a real problem between houndsmen and ethical trappers. The problem is generally surrounding slob trappers who set their traps illegaly and don't check them for days on end. I am very good friends with several trappers and we get along fine. I have helped them find game that has got out of traps or dragged off the set in some situations. I also think trappers feel the same way about slob houndsmen, the kind who let their dogs maul animals who are caught in their legally set traps. We should make every effort to get along as it is strength in numbers that counts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I will paint anything for anyone!

If you have the board, it is 10" high picture (just like this redbone... but your hound!) for $200, a 20" high for $400 and the whole thing for $600.

This board was a 32" circa 1940's piece. I am learning more and more about the size and styles of these. Even was thinking of making coons on them.
You all are much more creative than I am!

You can email me and we can talk. I don't start anything until you are happy with the idea.

That is part of my thing this weekend. I hear the mountain men may have even more interesting things to paint on. And they can get pretty picturesque!
dj*

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:15 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

LCK, my friends tend to run vegetarian, but they are as bad as the people who think the right to bear arms is the same as the right to shoot anything that moves....
It is a bit disconcerting to look at these kill shots, but I know the ethical hunters and trappers are the BEST thing for wild things. What is there for them to catch? Nobody sane is thrilled to wipe out a species single handed, but there are extremes we set on nature and we have the solutions so better to pay a bundle to help the game preserve and hang a real lion head than let the healthy ones go to black market for no good reason... stuff like that.

okay, it is politics. I don't like to discuss religion either... REALLY!
dj*

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:43 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I do both, so I don't run into problems. I have my friends that I trap with and they're always willing to go out and follow my dogs at night.

Brunner's Baxter Brook Casper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:59 pm 
IP:
Same here Brunner, I also do both and have never had any problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:34 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I used to trap a little when it was worth doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Just because I am moments from getting a load of coonboards, I had the opportunity donate something to a trappers group. NOT A SINGLE THING. There is a rendezvous tomorrow and I am going to see if there are any picturesque mountain men for me to paint.

The first real order that comes in for these, I will have the boards to go with it. Right now I have to get the feel for wood.
dj*

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:38 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

If you want to know any thing about trappers go to [Trapperman .com ]they are about 7800 strong.

Haveing a NTA trapping rendy in Hutchinson Kansas

FRog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am over there now... in fact they are what got this all started. I am Debra Jones over there... they tricked me and I typed my real name. Sort of like sitting in your underwear... just a bit more information than I am used to showing off!!!
dj*

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:51 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

im a trapper and wanted to get my numbers up so thats why i got me some dogs. i havent had any problems with hounsmen but i have had words with other trappers. and i love that painting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

At the convention, there was a really interesting lecture from a AZ wildlife management guy. He is tagging and locating cougar, cats and coyotes. He has dogs that help them get the lions. No dogs were (supposedly... someone thought a daschund was not a dog apparently) allowed because of the traps laying out and scents that could cause a ruckus.
I am getting a bigger picture of how all this comes together and have 6 small boards. Not coon for sure, but for trapper fests. I am getting ready to try to do game.

BUT I did make a dent in getting my "coon-a-tude" going:
Sample hat. I got a little hide and cut and started one of my own but the fingers gave up early. I will get it done this week
dj*

Profile  WWW