CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have been trying to catch a coon in my live trap for about two weeks now. The opening is only about 10" x 10"....is that big enough? I think that opening may be too small and the coons aren't going inside the trap. I've baited with marshmellows, syrup, and sardines and the coons keep stealing the bait from the outside. I've wrapped screen around the cage to keep them from reaching inside, but they still try to climb on top and try to reach through somehow and end up setting of the trap. Are they normally this wary about entering a cage, or is my opening just too small?.....also, I know its a coon, not a squirrel stealing my bait cause I saw the coon one evening when I went down to check the trap.

Last edited by gettingstarted on Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:58 pm 
IP:
Try leaving a small trail into the trap. Put alittle bait at the front then put alittle more just inside the trade then put the rest at the back of the trap so it has to go in to get it. Thats what I do and it works well for me.

Post subject: first thing i tried
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried........i've tried everything I can think of but they just try to get to the bait from the out side instead of going in and they eventually spring the trap by climbing around on it or trying to reach in....how big is the opening to your trap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:33 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Try a can of sardines with the pull tab lid just partly open the can and poor a trail up to and under were the trap will sit dig out a hole just big enough for the can to sit in and place the trap directly over the top of this trail and can lay a couple of large sticks across the trap.

good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:27 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

im looking at the nitelite catalog and their trap is 12x12x36 and the coontrap in bill boatmans catalog is 10x12x36 the smaller trap for skunk possom, rabbits, squrrel, cat, ect is 7x8x24

i think your trap is plenty big enough... i use honey buns and have alot of luck gettin coon soon and only coon. some people say theyve trapped possoms and other stuff on honeybuns but i havnt yet. are you sure there are coon where youre trying to trap? and are you 100% sure its coon thats foolin with it from the outside and not rats and other small varmits?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm sure there are coon there because I've seen one there fooling with the trap, but I can't be sure other things aren't messing with the trap too. I've tried putting the bait in a hole under the trap, but they just dug under the cage far enough to reach it.

I think I'm dealing with a very smart coon and I might try relocating my trap.....this critter has it all figured out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:47 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

ItsOlMander wrote:
i use honey buns
your liable to catch me w/ honey buns! :wink: :D :roll:

Dylan Crabtree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:24 am 
IP:
I had the same problem, then I used a bigger trap (12x12) and the first night I got him, and pretty much the first night out ever since. I used the same bait as you.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:26 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for all responses....thats what I kinda figured was the problem, just wanted to see if anybody else thought so too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:40 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

If the opening is big enough to get his head through,he WILL get the rest of his body in.If that coon's head is bigger than 10"x10",you probably don't want any part of him.Sounds like that coon may have been trapped before and is trap shy.I love those- it really makes you step up your game and figure out different approaches.Alot of people would say screw it and set the trap somewhere else,but I wouldn't stop til I caught THAT coon(I'm kinda compulsive).Try digging a ditch the same size as the cage that tapers up so the door end is on level ground and the top of the bait end is flush with the ground.Wire a piece of plywood or sheet metal to the top of the trap so he can't reach thru that way,and the ground will keep him from getting thru the sides or bottom.Wire your bait to the bottom of the cage(I would try a honey bun first just to make it a little easier).

I also like to use sardines and run a trail of juice up to the trap-alot of times they keep their head down following the scent right thru the door,but pour the sardines OUT of the can- I've had more than one coon die in a trap from choking on a sardine can.

I've also simply moved the trap about 20 feet away from where it was at originally and caught the coon.You gotta get in his head and think like a coon- I trapped on the same coon for 2 months one time before I finally caught him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

coleman wrote:
If the opening is big enough to get his head through,he WILL get the rest of his body in.If that coon's head is bigger than 10"x10",you probably don't want any part of him.Sounds like that coon may have been trapped before and is trap shy.I love those- it really makes you step up your game and figure out different approaches.Alot of people would say screw it and set the trap somewhere else,but I wouldn't stop til I caught THAT coon(I'm kinda compulsive).Try digging a ditch the same size as the cage that tapers up so the door end is on level ground and the top of the bait end is flush with the ground.Wire a piece of plywood or sheet metal to the top of the trap so he can't reach thru that way,and the ground will keep him from getting thru the sides or bottom.Wire your bait to the bottom of the cage(I would try a honey bun first just to make it a little easier).

I also like to use sardines and run a trail of juice up to the trap-alot of times they keep their head down following the scent right thru the door,but pour the sardines OUT of the can- I've had more than one coon die in a trap from choking on a sardine can.

I've also simply moved the trap about 20 feet away from where it was at originally and caught the coon.You gotta get in his head and think like a coon- I trapped on the same coon for 2 months one time before I finally caught him.

this mite help ya next time take an empty sardine can and take a nail and put a hole on ether side of the can close to the bottom and sit the can of sardines down in it and they may try to pull on it but cant but like i said idk if it will help ya or not.

penut butter and jelly sanwichs r good to use 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:04 pm 
IP:
when i set traps i put branches on the tops back and sides so the only was to get the bait is in the door in they cant get in the sides you will catch them had that problem plenty f times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:58 pm 
IP:
I smear peanut butter on the foot pedal ain't but one way to get it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:43 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

10 x 10 should be big enough. A conibear trap smaller than that will catch coon so i dont think it should be a problem unless he is a real big one. I usually like to pile weeds and brush and stuff around and over the cage to make it look like a natural tunnel. They seem to enter a lot easier this way.

Post subject: Finally got one!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:15 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I followed yall's advice....I dug a whole and set the trap down inside and I covered up the top with sticks and brush....got on the first try after I did that. I also widened the opening of the trap by about 2 inches. However, the coon I caught was alot smaller than the one I had seen messing with the trap a couple of weeks ago. This coon looked to be about 10 or 12 lbs....the other one I saw looked closer to 20 lbs.

Gonna wait a couple more months before I show a coon to my blue pup, but Dixie sure got fired up about it.