CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ? on Tanning a hide
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:04 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm kind new to this. Tried tanning a few hides, only first one came out good. I can flesh coon good but the rest of the process is hard to get right. I'm not looking to sell hides, just preserve them and keep as trophies and use some as drags for pups. If some one could help me out and explain the process and the easiest/cheapest stuff to put on hide. I feel it's a waste of coon when I leave it to the buzzards. I like the pics other guys have of their coon hides hanging up, like to start my own "clothes line", that's what I'm gonna call mine. any advice

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: ? on Tanning a hide
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:32 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

It's a long process and hard work first do a case skin when you have the hide turn it flesh side out and put it on a board after that take all the fat and meat off the hide and stretch it on a wood stretcher till mostly dry (use a wood stretcher cause if you stretch it on wire hide won't be worth as much in your case you wouldn't matter but if you do ever want to sell hides) when it's mostly dry take the brains of the coon (or any animals brain) mash it up with water in a blender and apply to the hide artificial tan solution will work too just it gets expensive then you gotta rub the brain tan liquid into the flesh side of the hide and then take a fence post and just pull the hide (flesh side out) back and forth till dry and soft or your preference. Good luck if you need help just email or pm me.