CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:54 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i was wanting to know what are the steps i need to do after i have the hide. i know how to skin coons. but what boards do i need and how many different boards / wires will i need to complete one coon. please help me.

Home of:

Nitech 'PR' Buck Creek Dan

GRCH 'PR' Sweet Tea Southern Suzi

RIP -- 'PR' Buck Creek Friendly 1-29-14

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:23 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

If I were you I would skin them freeze and sell them green that way you don't need so much equipment, they only bring a couple dollars less,but if you still want to go that route get on Trapperman.com [Dobbins is from N C.]and you can buy every thing off trapperman.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:30 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

ok thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:05 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

You have done real great with your dogs. real good. don't over load your self, remember you still got school,that is VERY important

Lot of trappers on trapperman from N C, they will help you sell your pelts,fur buyers will have routes they run and come to your house or you meet them at a certain place on certain day,we probably have 400 every year so that pays to dry but we are retired,my self I just catch and my friend skins stretched and dries for half ship to Canada.we meet a truck in Mo twice a year.you can catch a few with your dogs and sell them to help buy your gas,don't make it work have fun with it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:11 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i plan on just killing them with the dogs and not trap. until maybe on down the road. so to sell them green what all do i need to with the hide. how much money are hides going for on average.thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:43 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

all you need is a sharp knife and a old freezer, skin coon wash him rinse him in Woolite makes the fur shiny, get you some butcher paper and lay him on it first let him dry, put a piece of paper between each coon.then get on trapperman and find out who is buying, if you get a 10 dollar average you are doing good,them little kitten just don't kill them,they are not worth the trouble. your mon is no going let you put them coons in her freezer with her meat and frozen veggies.call around and see if any body is trapping sell your coons to him in the round[that is a dead coon not been skinned,sell them to him for 5 bucks,you can sell the cars-as to old general stores leave a foot on [one] them,

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:58 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

ok not many people trap around here. but theres a place about a 45 min drive that buys. and im pretty sure they will buy green

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:06 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

now yyou can't leave them pelts laying around because a warm day will make the hair slip off[no good],if you have to drive 50 miles you can't go for one or two pelts got to take 10 15, but get on trapperman and see who will buy them green. what town in the Carolina do you live??

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:06 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

are you talking about the forum on trapperman? i live in banner elk which is in the mountains. its right next to boone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

up here the fur buyer will rip you off, so we process all of our hides, whether its trapped or with the dog. It is alot of extra work at first, because you will be slow at fleshing especially if you are not set up. If your dogs chew the coon up good then you almost might be better off selling them on the hoof because nafa will mark your fur as damaged just seeing the dog marks even if the hide is perfect. But if you want to start buy a nice fleshing knife, nice fur comb, some number 5 stretchers or boards, and build yourself a fleshing bench! hope that helps

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:51 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

MY brother is the CEO of Avery ymca in Avery, he went to College in Boone[played basketball] and was the president of Morganton college for 25 years, yes that is Trapperman.com.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:59 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

when you shoot out a coon and let 2 dogs fight it they will stretch and tear the fur[no good] one dog will just shake it,try to sell green that is a lot of work,join Trapperman and ask who lives around Boone

I was born ed and raised in Wilkes County.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:50 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

wilkes is where i was talking about taking the hides to sell