CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hide prices in KY ?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:13 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I'm sort of new 2 coon hunting ( 2nd season coming up WITH my OWN hounds) love it even more with my own hounds. Anyways I've been told the fur is worthless around here. So I've never kept the hides. I've skinned them 2 see how good of a job I can do or 2use with my youngest dog that's about it. Anyways wondering where in south central KY u can sell them, are they worth much, or would I have 2 drive so far 2 sell them it wouldn't cover my fuel bill. Any input is appreciated

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Hide prices in KY ?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:48 pm 
IP:
I had 25 coons last year and took them to Steven Pugh in falmouth and I got a dollar for 12 of them and the rest brought between 7 and 15 dollars

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:17 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Thx but u only got a $1 a piece for some, why is that

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:20 pm 
IP:
Cool Hand,

I live down here in north Texas and after 9-11 coon went from $12. where it had been during all the 80's to $6. last year a coon was worth a dollar! A giant boar coon with beautiful thick fur brought $3. and a pretty good coon hide brought $2. but an average, medium, brown coon... $1.00! My fur buyer retired from buying fur and makes knives now.
But I have been skinning stuff since 1959, {the fourth grade} and I have learned how to tan fur. I have coon, yote and cats on my den wall which are over 25 years old, I just dust them. Tanning your own fur is easy. The only work involved is fleshing. Skinning is easy if you are as old as me and have done it a hundred times. Tanning involves soaking the fur in this or that and but for rubbing over a board working it after the oil drys it is very easy too. {I use Rittle's tanning stuff}

The hard work, and I am still learning this myself too, is fleshing. Once the grease, fat, meat and such is off the hide the work involved in tanning fur is over. I make knives and use the tanned fur as attention getters where I sell my knives. Nothing like a piece of plywood full of solid coon pelts behind you to get some ones attention. I don't sell many but I don't care. They won't spoil and will last a hundred years. If I don't sell them now I'll sell them in 20 years.

See, I will always have hounds. I love hounds and they are my friends. We are coon hunters and we kill coon. That's who we are and what we do. I'll be darned if I throw my fur in a ditch! I just tan it and sell it, as well as it helps me sell knives at gun shows. Wouldn't you buy a knife from a guy who uses them rather than some guy who lives in an apartment?

Luck and Later...

Jack the Knife

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:39 pm 
IP:
I got a dollar for them because they were either early coon or theyu were small

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:47 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

remember when hides could cover your feed bill? not anymore we killed a solid black bore and got 20 bucks for it but it was from a guy who stuffed it for his self....had around 50 hides in frezzer and only got about 20 bucks out of them too they said we skined them wrong

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:01 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

That's my problem. The 1st hound I got was 3-4 months old, then 3 month later bought a pretty good 2 1/2 year old that hunts hasn't ever run trash average coon dog I guess. Anyways I was skining them out and using the hides 2 work with my pup now she's like 16-17 months or so and she's running track by herself and treeing some with other dogs more so. I don't use the hides for her anymore. It just seems like a waste 2 do nothing with them. The nearest place 2 sell them I've been told is like an hour PLUS from where I live. I prolly wouldn't acquire a whole big lot of them during kill season because I work 2 jobs only hunt weekends and maybe once during the week every now & again as it gets dark earlier. Thx for replies

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

wheew maybe i should rethink my plan to maybe move to kentucky i was thinkin the georgetown/midway area anyone no how them coon are their? im here in northern indiana our hides are goin for 6-16 dollars some as low as 4 for lil coons but the late january december hides will go for 20 a peice if their dark and thick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:04 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Some friends of mine use to trap and I think they sold there hides at elizabethtown ky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:15 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I'll check on that ...Thx