CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bobcat traps
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hi I was wondering what size traps some of you guys use. We have a few bobcats out at are place and i was wonderin what size trap i should use. I have a bobcat live trap but dont no how i would catch somethin in it one guy told me to hang a bird from a tree branch and set foot traps under the bird so i was wonderin what size foot trap too use thanks.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Bobcat traps
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:23 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've caught em in 1 1/2's but i think a number 2 duke would be your best bet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:16 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I agree with anything no2 or bigger for cats would do the job but I would check your laws on the use of exposed bait before using that set here in Minnesota it would be a sure way to get a ticket

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

id do a cubby set with a #3
if you can get any beaver for bait would work or hang just fethers above but no flash from bird.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have caught some cats in #2's, but I have also had a couple larger cats get away in them. They are by far the most angry animal that you will have in a trap. The standard is #3's. Many people put them down, but the duke #3's are cat catching machines if you prepare the traps correctly. Be sure to dye, wax and tune your traps before placing them in the ground. Bobcats hunt mostly by sight. Cubby sets close to the base of rock cliffs will produce a cat for you if there is one in the area. Be sure to study as much about your prey as you can! Learn what the cat tracks look like. Learn how and where they hunt, sleep, and use the bathroom. They have certain areas where they will use the bathroom, just like a house cat will use a litter box.

Hang up a couple feather with fishing line over or very close to your set. Use a bunch of feathers in and around your cubby set. Be sure to check your baiting laws in your state!!! If you are permitted to, use a beaver carcass and caster inside the cubby. Tear up the whole area outside your cubby. The object is to catch his eye as if a battle took place there and then he will go to sniffing around for food.

Good luck!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:24 pm 
IP:
also Skunky lures work great when it gets cold, Beaver or bobcat meat with alittle skuck essence get the job done. And #2 bridgers are the same size as #3 dukes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

be on location when your cat trapping,,, that is the most important,, I've caught plenty on a 1.5 duke,,,, trap placement,,,, is real important,,,,, and use plenty of feathers ,,, or u can just hang a rabbit up about 4 foot off the ground and place your trap under it,,,,, blend your trap in make it roclk soild in the ground,, u want no movement when a animal steps on it or on the side,,, you dont want your trap rocking,,, and a kneeling pad helps keep scent off the ground,, good luck