CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:47 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I am new at coon hunting and trapping and plan to start doing it all next season after I get my dog. I have a pretty basic idea on how to skin it but it's after the skinning that gets me I have a few questions: Is it necessary to stretch the hide?, Do I have to tan it?, Can I just put it on the shed wall after fleshing and drying? Some help would be very appreciated, thank ya.

'PR' Hardwood Indian Outlaw
Casper

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:58 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

your best bet is join Trapperman.com they will answer all your questions you need to find a old trapper to help you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yes it is necessary to stretch and dry the hides. If you just tack them out on the barn wall without fleshing (removing all the fat/grease and muscle) the hides will rot and not be worth the nails holding them up. Some buyers will buy hides that have been split down the belly and tacked out to dry, but the prices you get will be much less than stretched and dried hides.

Stretching and drying is pretty simple and very inexpensive to get started. Fleshing an ole boar coon can get pretty tough sometimes. Frog has a great recommendation, go to Trapperman.com and introduce yourself. Chances are you might find someone on there near you that can teach you some things. Most of the guys on that site are very generous about helping out.

IDbluecat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:31 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

email me at cekjr1@msn.com I have a couple of real good dvds on fur handling--after you watch them you will be a pro---one is five hours long and covers coon -- skunk -- possum -- bobcat -- otter-- mink -- fox -- and coyote. The other is two hours on coon only--put out by North American Furs--none better. I will sell them for 15 dollars each mailed to you.