CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Skunk Trapers?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:04 pm 
IP:
I wondering if there is anyone out there that traps skunk and if anyone skins them out and if they are worth any money. Any help is apprecitated on traping them and skining them and if they are worth anythin.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Skunk Trapers?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:43 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i dont intentionally trap them, but have caught my fair share. if caught in a cage trap, the best was to dispatch is to drown them, slowly walk up to them with an old sheet or blanket, and talk to them calmly while you are walking towards them, if they turn around and raise their tail or stomp their feet, slowly back away, when you finally get the blanket over them pick up the cage and wrap the whole thing. this keeps the skunk from spraying anything but the sheet, then take it to a deep hole in a creek or pond and drop it in. when the skunk dies and its muscles relax and the stinky stuff comes out it wont be in the air or on you. skunks caught in foothold traps are a pain in the but, you can buy the syringe poles and give them a lethal injection(i have never done this) or shoot them. i have heard that if you gut shoot them from a short distance they wont spray, WRONG. i shoot mine in the head, when you gut shoot them or in the head their muscles eventually relax and the stinky stuff comes out, its just something your gunna have to deal with. i have caught some in 220 conibears and they werent to smelly. skin them just like a coon, but watch out for the anal glands, make sure not to poke them with your knife, i leave a diamond shaped patch or fur around the anus to prevent from poking them. when you are pullin the hide down, do not yank the crap out of it, do it slowly and use your knife as much as possible, if you pull to hard you will squeeze the stink out of them. this is how i do it, i am sure there are many ways, but this works best for me, i also got a de skunking recipe to get the smell off my hands and clothes. if you can collect the stink glands they have some value, i have never done it but have watched a couple people. the hides in central missouri wer about $8 average for skunks with wide white stripes. i hope this helps you.

Black Back Hunter and Black Back Daisy
ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:05 pm 
IP:
do skunk get prime like other animals or not cause iv havnt every really seen them any other color then black and white. Do you just strech them on a coon board then and what do you do with the tail how do you deal with that while you skin them ? and they are better the wideer the stripes?
thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:27 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My dog got sprayed saturday night, found and awsome recipe for essentialy killing the stink. Take on large bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxcide( like 1 quart bottle) and 1/4 cup of baking powder and 1 Tbspn of any liquid soap. Mix all together and put in spray bottle and put on dog and what ever it was next to houndbox etc. Give it time and u wont notice it at all. Use solution freely though. I use about 1/2 of bottle on one dog and hound box and collars.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:59 am 
IP:
I watched a buddy try to skin one once. I stood outside the shed while he laid into it. I could tell things weren't going well about 30 seconds after he started because you could almost see the smell coming out from under the closed door. It got so bad it ran him out of that shed. I don't think his sense of smell has recovered to this day. It ain't worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:19 pm 
IP:
If you are serious about skinning them just shoot them soak them in the creek for a night put vasaline all the way up your arms wear old clothes don't cut the scent glands and getr done. Flesh and get the right board or stretcher to put them on. Have seen them bring as mush as 14.00 for good heavy furred big stripes. I would not expect much this year as prices are down.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ur crazy if your lookin to trap a skunk i wouldnt touch one with a 10 foot pole..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Bad experience baby skunks will spray you hahaha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

same here

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:25 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I got 6 ta 9 outa mine id catch some on my yote line, I uthenized em with a pole an syringe, when they were out id extract the essence from the 2 glands by the anus an then skin em . you can sell the skunk essence for 10 dollars an ounce a large skunk usually holds a ounce an a half. If you do it properly theres decent money in skunk.

[img]

CH GRNITECH 'PR' B & D'S BLUE SPIKE

GRNITECH 'PR" FLYING BLUE RUBY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:01 am 
IP:
1973. Come in over to our farm. I'll let you spend all winter trapping those nasty things they are over populated and will continue to grow in population because no one wants to touch a skunk including me if I see them out they get popped but I'm def not trapping them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i hate it. Just hate it. Walking up to a set still pretty sleepy eyed and catching a wiff of that smelling striper sitting there in the trap slowly flopping around. Its terrrible. Last year opening day i caught two of them and got sprayed both times. The truck smelled like skunk for 6 months. I wouldnt waste my time on them. In KS most buyers only pay a dollar or two if they will even buy them. Now an albino or a spotted skunk is a different story. Spotted you must report to the wildlife and parks and do not kill it. They will release it. Its all about getting a population count...

www.conkeysoutdoors.com Trust them!