CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tie Down Stakes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What is the best tie down stake yall have found to work to hold a 70lbs hound with no worries. I am moveing soon and i am going to be putn my dogs on chains till i can build my new kennel, and i have not put my dogs on chains before so any info you all can give would be much abliged.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Tie Down Stakes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:31 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

the best one i have used was around18 inches kinda L shaped and had 3 grabbers on it, it went in the groung easy but hard pulling up had to put the truck in 4 wheel drive to pull up. got it at wallmart its bright orange with a cain on top

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:14 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

the best i have ever used or seen was made with rebar. take a 2-3ft piece of 3/4(or whatever size you want) and weld the end link on the chain to the side of the rebar about an inch from the end. drive the rebar into the ground all the way with just chain sticking out. they will never pull it up and there's no tangle. another thing i did was i made all my connections connecting chain-swivel-chain-o ring out of chain links(collar goes thru the o-ring). just cut the link with a hacksaw, open it with a hammer and chisel until it's big enough to fit hardware then use a sledge hammer to close it back. i've chained many dogs in my life and this setup is far better than anything else i've ever used. the links last alot longer than any other connectors. hope this helps somebody.

jason

&
'PR' Lemoine's Cajun Eli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:43 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I had a dog up to my place last summer for a bit that I didn't have room for so i had to tie out and I ended up using a 18" cable stake the kind used for trapping. I connected an 8 foot chain to a swivle and connected the swivle to the cable stake. Drove the cable down into the ground till just the swivle was above ground and it's still there now. Cheap too especially if you already have the driver for the cable stakes. about 2 bucks plus the cost of the driver if you need one. I buy them by the dozen for trapping so i always have a few around.

http://www.thegrizshop.com/trapping_supplies.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:14 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

junk ford rear axles.get em cheap for junk ones at a junk yard. when you see one you will see why they work so well.just drive them in the ground point first,hook the chain to the bearing plate and around and around they go with no tangles and even a big dog cant pull them up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:09 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

a 3/4 foot roof bolt out of the mines drive it through a metal o ring and into the ground leave about 6 inches out of the ground and snap the chain on the o ring

AND YOU CAN KEEP THE ''CHANGE''

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:06 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i got a chain hooked to a telephone pole thats in my back yard and my dad put cross ties in the ground for the clothes line their really stable so i got a cable running from that ( and no we dont use it for a clothes line any more.. my mom would kill me.. ha ha :P )

or u could always use a tree clear of other ones so ur dog dont get tangled up, plus if u use a tree ur dog always has shade :)

Hudson Hound Kennels
home of:

"Boone" and "'PR' Hudson's BOOM'N Moonshine"

and the deer walkers i have... "boy" "caramel" and "knotthead"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:19 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i got this method from some1 elses post, but its excellent and prob 4 dollars.
i already had cinder blocks, take ya 1, drill a hole in it 4 an eye bolt to fit in, where it can move around, helps to keep chain from talglin, burry flush, pack dirt in tight, i attached a big O ring with an chain link, so the only thing i bought was the O ring and eye bolt, havn had no prob with it. and you only need bout 6 foot of chain if your keeping your dog hunted.

RIP THROUGH THE NIGHT WITH A BOBCAT LIGHT If you want a good dependable light give Bob a call at 918-822-8888

They call me Chief not mess around 4 a reason :)... Ole Stone Mountains Billy Bob and Copper, Good as the Best and Better than the Rest. Names Stoney. wanna hunt give me a call or text @ 918-497-0269

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:05 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The best way I found, and what I use to hold my 85lb american pit, is to take a 10 foot long chain wrap it around 2 to 3 cinder blocks connect it to itself leaving a long end dig a hole and bury the blocks leaving only the chain end out then get a add a link and a 20ft chain and connect them together it would hold a horse. Dig the hole bout 2ft down and fill the blocks with dirt.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:38 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

blackntan101 wrote:
the best one i have used was around18 inches kinda L shaped and had 3 grabbers on it, it went in the groung easy but hard pulling up had to put the truck in 4 wheel drive to pull up. got it at wallmart its bright orange with a cain on top

these are the ones I use. I have found no better. before these I used some homemade versions of the same thing without the grabbers. I use a 10 foot chain so the dogs actually have a larger radius than a 10x10 kennel.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:58 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I almost forgot you need to put a swivel on the chain you can make the 2nd chain any length I used a 20ft one for a pit so he can get plenty of exercise. Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:48 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

BlueTicked Chevy Man wrote:
I almost forgot you need to put a swivel on the chain you can make the 2nd chain any length I used a 20ft one for a pit so he can get plenty of exercise. Good luck

ditto on the swivels. I use one about a foot out of the ground and then one where you attache the latch.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:43 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Scott Young wrote:
blackntan101 wrote:

these are the ones I use. I have found no better. before these I used some homemade versions of the same thing without the grabbers. I use a 10 foot chain so the dogs actually have a larger radius than a 10x10 kennel.

these are the ones i have too, i have to use the front end loader on the tractor to pull them outta the ground, i have one that the grabbers came off of and it atill holds a 75 lb english

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:29 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I made some tie stakes a while back.... 3/4 inch rebar and some pipe with the inside diameter 3/4 inch..... the rebar is bout 4 1/2-5 feet long. i cut the pipe into 3 sections about the same length. put one over the rebar and weld it with the ends flush leave the next one free and weld the third one on. then you weld a quick link to the free spinning pipe attach your chain and drive it into the ground up to the bottom of the middle pipe. as long as there is a swivle on the snap for the collar your dog can go round and round and i made 5 of em out of scrap i had the only thing i bought was the quick links..... by the way make sure you put it where you are gonna leave it cause it aint comin up..... at least i cant get em up and im 6'6" and way bout 275. ill try to put some pictures on here later

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:23 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

use a 1/2 inch cable between 2 post 20 feet apart ..a 3 foot lead chain.with slide link... will run all day ..dog house door next to post