CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am going to build three this week. I have been trying to decide what type of kennels Ive been wanting and I think you have proven to me the ease and all around betterness that these kennels will have on me and my dogs. I just ordered two new dogs from Mike Kemp of three bears and i am due to have them in few months. They hopefully will love their kennels..... Also how often do you let them out for free time? I am new to owning hounds. I own an outfitting business and have always hired hound hunters for hunts but now I have depredation tags for lion and bear and figured I would get my own hounds. Hard to find guys ready to go when I need them.. Thanks Toe Cutter for all your help.. Much appreciated.

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:54 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I really like the kennels TC. i believe ill have to build one myself :D

Runnin' them hounds til' the sun comes up

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:46 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

in 36 yrs i have housed dogs every way i know of. for the last 25 yrs or so i have used this way with these. it is by far the easiest and cleanest way i have found.i have built and sold them to coon,bear and rabbit hunters in mich,indiana and ohio.any info or problems you need just ask..................TC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:56 pm 
IP:
are those expensive?? how long do they take to build?? do the dogs every get out of them??

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:26 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

just purchased eveything today to build another one. i got about $250 into materials and that includes $90 for a pre made metal covered dog house i get from a dog supply place.you can spend more or less depending on what materials you use.i have built so many,i can build one in about 8 hours working by myself. and i don't work too fast at anything anymore.when i was younger i built 4 in two days from start to finish. i have one dog that is 11 and he is a David Copperfield, he can figure out any weakness in a kennel and escape. after i locked down the top of the house he has only managed to get out by pulling one floor rail out and then standing on his head to shimmy out through the gap. 3 inch deck screws to hold the floor rails has stopped that. i have a 6ft high chain link fence around the perimeter of my kennels. two of his pups are running loose in the encloser and are trying to help break the old man out as i speak, :roll: mack is the only dog i have ever had escape from one...............TC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:20 pm 
IP:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:21 pm 
IP:
can your dogs jump that high to get up there?? how do you do it???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:32 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

they can if they WANT to. my old dogs just stand up and put their front feet on the door way and i lift their back legs for a boost. but i have seen them when they want in and they can jump in pretty easy. they have me trained well. :roll: you dont have to go with the 6 ft legs, you can go 4 or 5. i like the 6 because it gets them up higher away from the crap and the flies in the summer time.and i can clean under them easier,but i have built many for others using 5ft legs. coon dogs and beagles alike.i have made alot of them with houses on both ends with a divider and the doors on the side for rabbit dogs. just what ever works best for what you need......................TC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:54 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i built one by toe cutter's design, but just enclosed the end rather than using a pre-made doghouse. total cost was about $150, and i have more than enough fencing left to do another 2. i screwed everything together, so it'll take some doing for a dog to get out of there. so far, it's working great!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:41 pm 
IP:
im working on my toe cutter condo lol thanks for the plans and help t.c.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:59 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

another good point to these is that if you move you can take them with you. move them to another spot if you need too or sell them to someone else and they can take them away.i have sold a couple dogs with their kennel................TC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I wondered if anyone had ever used one like mine it is on a trailer house frame it is 40' long and 8' wide it has 4 8x10 kennels built on to the floor is made out of the rubber coated hog flooring they just lay on top of the I-beam and the crossmember and then it just has kennels built on top so everthing is pretty much metal I took the axle and hitch off of mine and just set the I beams on the ground you can find the old trailer frames pretty easy and could have them cut down to whatever size and if you ever decide to move it you just put the axle and hitch back on and take off I will try to get some pictures

NtCh'Pr' Clemons Go Yonder Katie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

id like to see some pics of that coondoggin.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:54 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

tc has a good idea there with the raised kennels. i am building some but am going just a little bigger. my fininshed inside size will be 8' wide by 13' long. this leaves me 3' overhang for a coup. my question is are tc's houoses built by him or bought. you have to have a pretty custom size to fit these above ground kennels. also my roof is going to be pitched with greene metal. the wife will only let me do this if they look astetically correct with the rest of our house and barns. the other question i had was. it seems like if the untreated 2x2's are 2" apart the dogs feet would get caught? or do they learn real fast to walk correctly on them? also does the hard stool fall through to the ground most of the time?

thanks..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:46 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i buy my dog houses pre built. i use differant sizes for beagles and hounds.you can build these pens with any deminsions you like,just build it to accomidate the size house your using. in mich cold winters you need a nice air tight house just big enough for the dog,keeps his body heat easier then a house bigger then what the dog needs. dogs learn very fast they can run around on the floor rails very easy. they are set the width of a 2 x 2 which is actually not 2 inches since a 2 x 4 is not 4 inches wide.i use 2 x 4s ripped down the middle. its much cheaper then buying 2 x 2s already cut.the stool falls right through. with treated 2 x 2 's i found the stool sticks to the residue of the treating chemicals on the wood.the pens for beagles, because their feet are smaller, i space the floor rails closer together,their stool also being smaller then a big hounds falls through them too..make sure if you build one as big as your talking you use plenty of support rails under the floor,so the floor rails are firm and dont bow under the weight of the dog. ........................TC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next