CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: hit by electric fence
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:23 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've got 2 dogs that kept getting out of their pen. I have 10x10 panels and they were pushin out where the wire meets the support posts. I put in an electric fence in and that did the trick..one dog hit it and was ok with it, the other hit it and went in the house and stayed. The first few days i had it on i had to pull her out and put her in a dogbox just so she would eat. i have since taken her out of the electric fence pen and she is now in a reg pen. But she acts the same..i showed her there were no fence in that pen but she stays in the barrel and wont come out for nothing.

has anyone ever experienced this? And do you think she will eventually get over it? I hate to think that i just ruined a pretty decent dog.

thanks for any replies

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:15 am 
IP:
I don't know if you can ruin a dog with an electric fence; I've never used one. My experience was with shocking bark collars. My dog was an obnoxious barker so I bought one for him since we live in town and barking just doesn't fly. The first week or two he was freaking out every time he was shocked because he was still learning WHY he was being shocked. He got timid and on one occasion he knocked over my table during one of his panics. He's perfectly fine now, goofy happy bone-head. He knows why he's being shocked and how he can avoid it.
Don't know if this helps or not; thought I'd throw it out there.
-Kyra

Post subject: shock collar
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

MTCoonHunter,
What kind of shocking bark collar did you use, and would you recommend it? Thanks, Andrew

Post subject: Re: shock collar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:22 am 
IP:
HuntinCursWI wrote:
MTCoonHunter,
What kind of shocking bark collar did you use, and would you recommend it? Thanks, Andrew

Andrew,
I have been using an Innotek collar, can't remember what model. Cost about 70 dollars at PetCo, uses a 10 dollar (lithium I think) battery and isn't rechargeable. Unless the battery itself is rechargeable, I don't know about that. It worked beautifully for about 8 months or so. Then it started false shocking and the low battery light came on. I replaced the battery and it's still false shocking. I hear my dog barking without shock sometimes and other times I hear him yelp when I have NOT heard a bark. 1 or 2 months ago I would have recommended it strongly, but now I do not recommend it. I don't know if 70 bucks for 10 months is good or not, but I'm not thinking it is. My dog doesn't wear it anymore and so if I leave the house early or am out late he has to stay inside in his crate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:33 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

my innotek crapped out on me in about a year. wasn't false shocking, just wasn't shocking at all.

i wouldn't buy another innotek. would try another brand though. worked great while it worked

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:18 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I use Tri Tronics their expensive but they work great like the other guys i try the cheaper ones and they lasted about 8 months i've had the Tri Tronics for about 2 years now and only had to change batteries and it would only false shock a little when the batteries were dying

Nitch'Pr' Deepwoods Cye Boy
Grnitch'Pr' Like NO Dawn J
Grnitch'Pr' Maves' Nightmare Ms. Monster
GrCh Grnitch'Pr' Rebel's War Cry
'Pr' M&S' Screamin Loose Cannon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:43 am 
IP:
Don't worry the dog will get over the fear, I did the same thing in an out side my pens in MS to keep feral and neibors dogs out of my bitchs pen. She got blasted, didin't come out of her box for three days, eventually I just went in the pen with her, sat against the side of the pen and lavished her with positive attention and she got over it, although I did remove inside electric fence.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have three dogtra Rechargable bark collars they work great. I have had them for three yrs. Bought them from Gander Mtn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:34 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I had a dog get in a fight with a coon that it had caught on the ground
and during the fight the dog got wrapped up in an electric fence.
the dog never hunted again.

If your not armed your a victim.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my hound ran under the elctric fence and got zapped twice with in 5 minets and it didnt do anything to her excpt hurt her pride a little

PR Purdys Midnight Molly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My uncle had an old blue dog that would run with the best of them. He got into an electric fence one night during a hunt and from that day on would never cross a fence.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i bought a super trainer by dt systems H20 1820

Profile  WWW