CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Underground Fence
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:24 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

To each their own.............Training a dog on one is still no guarantee........a dog is a dog...........they will get what they want if they want it bad enough, regardless of being shocked and trained where their boundries are.

Kinda like a broke trained dog will screw up one night and bump off game.......and of course it's usually at the worst possible time.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:55 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

we had an under ground 1 for our boxer she would get a run at it and start yepping b4 it would even start shocking her she knew it was coming but would run plum though it anyway then she would not come back into the yard.it made me feel bad 1 day we was leaving and i 4got 2 take off the collar and she would not get in the truck so that made mad and i got her in the truck curisen her reel good while i was backing up and then she started going nuts of coarse i stopped right over the wire as it was shocking her i realized what was going on so instead of pulling up i took off the collar and i got a pretty good shock out of it. but i dont care 4 them or recommend them. our boxers r inside dogs anyway and i built a 10x20x8foot high pen 4 my hounds even had 2 put our pony in it durning the ice storm when the trees was down on the fenece the hounds did not care 4 being chain nether

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:43 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i think it depends on the temperment of the dog. some will just power through it, and some will be scared to death to get in range of it

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a buddy that has the underground fence and his two dogs will never leave his yard but he was hunting one day and he had a shock collar on one of his dogs and he hit her for doing something she wasnt supposed to be doing and she laid down and would not get back up she was afraid to move he had to carry her out he thinks it was because of the underground fence she didnt know which way she could go

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:28 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

We had a syste for our yard dog,,which was a basset hound and he would just run through the fence and then he would get stuck on the other side of the fence...He never did learned and we later got rid of him...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:02 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Its all about the training they receive.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:49 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have 2 dogs a bluetick and black lab. I bought a innotek underground fence for the 2 dogs and the black lab did real good and got shocked once or twice and hasnt crossed the boundry once. I put it on my bluetick trained it a little (this was my fault shoudve spent more time training) and the dog took off like a bat out of hell and it didnt come back till the next day and lost the $100 collar. Since the lab is trained and stays around the house i just let the bluetick run during the day and it usually stays around. But i caught her a few times out by the road. I just ordered another collar for the bluetick cause i dont want her to get hit by the road. My question is how do i train her properly and do you think she is trainable since she has been running free all the time?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:33 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Big difference between Labs and coonhounds. Labs tend to keep their mind on the master more and look for direction, wanting to keep the boss happy with them. Coonhounds want to go out to hunt on their own and only think of the boss after a good run or they have something treed. More time on the training, lots more. Even then I would expect times when the nose overrides the training and off he goes. I use a log chain to keep mine close to the house. Works all the time, unless one of us misses on snapping the buckle while taking her to it. Then she is off to the neighbors and over the road. No centerline fever yet but it is a constant threat if she gets loose. I wouldn't trust a invisible fence with mine but maybe others have confidence in them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:33 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

you are right willseeyalater and i have not ever thought of it that way my lab nikki has her eyes on me 24/7 and does right now. my hounds are a different story.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Plotts and Beagles trained themselves on our fence in about 24 hours. If I change the boundary width they immediately compensate and seem to understand what is going on. Will never own another dog/pet with out an invisible fence.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a underground system for my labs. They have been on it for 5yrs now. I don't care what is on the other side they WILL not cross! I worked with them for 2wks before I let them roam unsupervised..... As for my hounds, they are in pens. I do not trust the U/G system with them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:18 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have two Black and Tan males in a PetSafe Deluxe system and have never had an issue. They were trained in less then 2 days and never test the fence. I've seen them run full speed towards a group of turkeys only to skit to a stop before the boundary line. Wildlife, people, bikes, cars, etc, - they will not cross the line.

The Petsafe Deluxe system allows you to increase the correction strength but both my dogs only require the lowest setting.

Like other posters have said, it all depends on the training. IMO, training includes obedience training AND training for the invisible fence.

I think it is important to differentiate between hunting dogs and family pets. My B&Ts are not hunted. I imagine that a hunting dog would have a harder time with an invisible fence - they have been taught to run!

It is important to remember that invisible fencing will not keep other dogs (or people) from wondering into your yard. I never leave home with my dogs outside. I'd hate to come home and find one of them hurt or stolen.

Post subject: inground electric fence
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

personally i believe in keeping a hound in a kennel so it doesnt pick up on bad habbits but was thinking about letting my dog out in the yard within the electric fence with my lab during the day and putting it in the kennel at night is this a good idea? Will it ruin a good dog?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks everyone the fence i have is the petsafe one you plug in the house i doubt the hound will run the fence im just worried that maybe the dog running around the yard all day will somehow affect the way it hunts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:35 pm 
IP:
Food for thought... the fence will keep your dog in but it won't keep other dogs out.