CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Closed in Kennel
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:58 pm 
IP:
We have 5 kennel runs right now. Dad wants to close every thing in except for the front What do you think????? I think its a good idea, the dogs will stay warmer i think.

thanks
becky

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:19 am 
IP:
anyone???????????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:27 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

JMO, but I would like them better open. Would be afraid that it would make the dogs feel even more caged in or trapped, or claustrophobic (thank goodness for spell-check). If that happened I am sure the dogs behavior would change for the worse.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:47 pm 
IP:
oh yeah i know what you mean, they are closed in tight now with a tarp and they dont seem to act any differant but idk what they will do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:28 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

My thought was if you had any problems with neighbors you could angle your kennel so a closed in side was toward them- maybe cut down on any barking carrying as far. I like the idea, but I'd close in some of it allowing them to stay out of the rain and snow ,but get into the sunshine and breeze as well. Maybe I'd make something with the sides where I could take them off and put them on safely and securly, while easily, and close them off in the winter or when the forcast says they'll be 7 inches of rain over the next 3 days or something. Just a thought. Don't know how I'd secure the side panels for easy removal and have them safe and secure when in place at the same time off hand though. Paul Conway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i would leave them alone like they are

Post subject: Kennel
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:35 am 
IP:
I had mine open for a time, then I put a carport over them to 1st off shade them in the summer months, 2nd for the wind in the winter time, 3rd for the fact that when it rans they aint layed up in a small dog house all day with no chance to come out and eat drink and so on. I had mine closed in on the sides. So the front and rea were open. It let air ciculate real good for them. I noticed a big difference in them and the way they acted after they had it.
I would recomend it specialy were you at up in Wis, help keep all that snow off them and lower the wind chill factor on them when the wind blows. You can check out my set up of the carport idea at TreeManBayM.com Jeffro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:41 am 
IP:
ive always thought about making my kennels like a dairy free stall barn with curtins for the witner in summer i think an enclosed one would harbor flies and the smell etc because of the lack of air movement

Post subject: Kennel
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:17 pm 
IP:
I was worried bout smell and flies too, I stay in neighborhood. So smell noise and looks matter. But when I put up the carport there was no harbor'n of odor or flies. Of course I use flies jugs and have septic tank but all in all a pefect go for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:34 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Im with japs cr kennels that wouldent be good in the summer time with the smell and the flies.jmo jacob

Post subject: Wrong
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:45 am 
IP:
Wrong the flies aint like people think because its covered, you have more flies fly'n around at your backyard cook out than the kennel. And smell is a factor when on dirt. When on concrete and clened it doesnt linger around. As when soaked up in the dirt. But everybody has there own opinion on it.

Post subject: Re: Closed in Kennel
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:37 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i think it would be way to hot in the summer for dogs and yes flies would be horrible but thats just my oppinion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:13 pm 
IP:
Im getting ready to build my kennel and i am going to use the carport as well!! it is no diffrent than any other coverd kennel!!!! and its cheaper and last a whole lot longer!! SO im with the guy who used the carport nice job!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:30 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My kennel is just that way when I bought my house it had a pole barn with sections and I those and made 10x12 kennels and there is no problem on this end the best things that I like other than walking in the rain I don't get wet no mud for for the ones with dirt floor no shoveling snow I have electric out to mine so I have lights. Water line have not had any problems gonna say that this is the best one that I have had for any animal the hounds seem to like it when its raining they still can lay out and not get wet or cold I do want to put in 2 or 3 skylights to give more natural light will post pict when I get a chance

No one came, except God
When I needed a breath to rise, from my sleep
No one could help me.. except God

When all I saw was sadness, and I needed answers
No one heard me, except God
So when I'm asked.. who I give my unconditional love to?
I look for no other name, except God”
Tupac Shakur 1971-1996

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:01 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I closed mine in this winter. I have it so i can take off the sides and the back for the summer time to let the air move through it. Works great frme. Heres a couple pics.

Brady

Bradyv7@hotmail.com

Rock River Late-Nite Jazz (Black Hayes x Kate)

Rock River Duelin DuraMax (Dan x Maggie)

Northern Black Copper Kate

Rebel's Rock River REX (Rebel X Dixie)

Ugly's Rock River Reba (Uglystick x Penny)