CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:29 pm 
IP:
There are a lot of ideas out there on how to care for one's dog....I am certain you will find what is most comfortable and best for your own. Just keep this in mind....older dogs get colder, and some older hunting dogs are prone to arthritic conditions where cold simply makes it worse for them to find comfort. The idea of putting a dog house up off the ground...I am not a pro dog house builder, but, common sense makes me think that when a house is elevated -more cold air can get under it regardless of a tire or any other prop used. It may look a bit 'ole country, but, some people put straw bales along the sides of a dog house to block bitter cold winds. Final and foremost....I have never seen a coondog not go hunting 'cause it was too cold for 'em. And, I have seen dogs stand outside thier houses when it's below O wagging thier tales, I assume they are feeling alright in the cold.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: house
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:30 am 
IP:
this is wat i did i took a 1000 gallon chemical tank that goes on the front of a tractor cut it in half cut a door into it and stuffed it with hay it seems to be workin just fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:45 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

zebradunn wrote:

But come on, I know some of you have more than a couple hounds and your saying you would bring all them into the house with you. I would have to see it to beleive it. Put them in an insulated building if it gets to cold for them.

Dog crap stinks especially if it is stuck into the carpeting in your living room.

coondogj wrote:
On what planet are you required to keep your dogs indoors at night or at any other time. I love my reds, but they are never going to sleep in my house.

I live in the city limits. The city has a law that you can only have 3 dogs that live outside. After 3 dogs, those dogs can not live outside more than 75% of the time.

I have 8 dogs -- 3 Bassets, 4 Coonhounds, and 1 Lab. And keeping 1 pup froma litter I just had so that will make 9 dogs total.

I have an inside dog kennel connected to my office.

If I want to keep dogs, I have to by the loophole in the law. The loophole is not outside more than 75% of the time.

All my dogs are housebroke and housetrained. It's not an issue.

Not everyone lives where there are no laws and restrictions. When handed lemons, you make lemonade. That is what I have done.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: carpet dog house doors
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

getting cold here at night. so i put carpet over the door of my dog houses. 2 of the the dogs tear them off the first day. the carpet is narrower than the door to let the flap move freely do any other have a ideas??

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:02 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Techno wrote:
coonscry wrote:
Also, to the guy who puts his houses off the ground, you're making it worse. I hope you insulate the floors of your houses since you are allowing the cold air underneath as well.

No. having the house on the ground is a bad idea.I know thousands of people who preach getting the doghouse off the ground....now your telling me they is telling lies???

Have you ever noticed bridges freeze first in cold weather? Your allowing cold air to blow under the dog house.

Another thing wooden dog houses are a good place to grow bacteria. Have you noticed hot spots on your dog in the spring and summer. That is a bacteria skin infection. The cause of it is the combination of wet and warm weather. Plastic or plastic lined houses are the best and are easy to keep clean. I use igloo brand dog houses stuffed full of good grass hay in the winter and change it out every couple days to keep it dry and warm. If its wet your dog will stay cold when it's cold outside.

Brad & Alison (Wilcox) McGill
(660) 833-3180

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:33 am 
IP:
I use plastic barrels and cut part of the top out and lay them on their side and put straw in them... It works well.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire