CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: water bucket
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

the hole in the ground will work I don't put any thing in my pool to keep it from freezing in Okla and it gets cold here and the pipes are 12inches to a 6 foot under ground and I don't have to cut ice for the livestock on the pond or branches if the water is a foot below ground level.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:25 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Steve , the frost line in mid tn is 24" . The hole thing might work , but I tried it once and all it did was fill the bucket with mud when it rained enough .

Sam's Creek Kennels
Home of
"PR" OLD TENNESSEE'S LITTLE LADY

"PR" Hayes' Little Treein Buddy

Jasmine "the over hyper Shih Tzu"

Post subject: water
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:37 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Just take you bucket and only fill it half full at night that way in the morning you dont have to bust the frozen ice just pour your water on top of the ice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:09 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

The hole I was trying to describe shouldn't allow any mud in the water. Posthole dig a hole about 3' deep, put clay field tiles vertically in the hole, with the top one being a bell tile (with a wide opening). If you set your bucket in the bell tile, the warmer air temperature from the ground coming to the bottom of the bucket is supposed to keep it from freezing. I would imagine that most of the bucket would actually be a little below ground level, but the top wouldn't. It's kind of like drilling a well and putting a casing in the hole. Like I say, I don't know for a fact that it works, but it does makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:48 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Those are some pretty good ideas. I have to carry 5 gallon warm water every morning and add a little to each bucket. I bet that tile deal would work like a charm, if the bucket slid down into the ground far enough. You could also use schedule 40 pvc in a large size. Find somewhere they are putting in water line, and buy some scrap bell ends from them. I have a buddy that lays rural water lines, and I may try this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:10 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

In cold weather I swich from a pail to a stainless steel pan. If theres any ice in the pan when you feed the dogs you can tip it over and pour a little water on the bottom and the ice will slide right out. Then you can refil the pan with fresh water. I usually do it several times a day so I know the dogs gettin all the water he needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:16 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

P.S. If someone wants to get rich, they mite wanna invent a solar powered dog dish warmer. You mite even be able to take a small batery/solar powered pump and hook it to black plastic and run it through a glass covered box facing the sun. Probally the water would be hot during the day and freeze at nite. :oops: :roll: :cry: :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:56 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Sparky, you are as bad as I am. LOL. We ought to be millionaire inventors and have somebody else watering our dogs. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:18 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Lee. They do say that nessesity is the motherhood of invention. I enjoy making things that make my life easier. Problem is that when somthing works out well, I generally blab it to others so that they can enjoy it too. (there goes the proffits). :roll: I guess you'll have to be the one to get rich and tell Me how it feels. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Make a 12" X 12" plywood box cut a hole in the top that a 2 or 2 1/2 gallon bucket will fit in and i put a light socket in one corner and put in an appliance 25 watt bulb in it. It never freezes over all winter. I made them about 15 years ago and they still work. The bulbs burn out about every other year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

anti-freeze???? lol

i just try to give them some water about 3 times a day. up here in wisconsin the frost line is a little deeper then 18" so i dont know about the hole thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:50 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

fresh water in the morning before work and again upon returning home as well as warm water in the feed. Ice blocks come out of the stainless steel bowls pretty easily with a tap against the kennel fence. I just try to keep it simple. Some good ideas have been floated around though, thanks, Paul Conway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:18 pm 
IP:
Do you guys who water their dogs 3 times a day even have jobs? If I had time to water them 3 times a day I think I'd just be hunting. I feed wet in the winter to help with hydration. Along with warm water in the buckets. Around here it doesn't matter what time you water. It'll freeze in the middle of the day. If I didn't have retarded dogs I would try the water heaters but mine are dumb enough to electrocute themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:04 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I really like the heated water buckets. The cord is wrapped in coil wire to discourage chewing. (I have not had a problem with chewing).
I made a box for each to put the buckets in, because around here in the winter they will freeze in the open. On sale each bucket was about $20
I made my kennel so each run is wired for a heated bucket, no extension cords.
It works good for me, knowing I don't have to deal with frozen water.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:36 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I tied that solar thing a few years back , bought the stuff at Radio Shack . It didn't work so well so I gave up as I am a poor man and didn't want to spend the money to keep trying until it was right . Up until about 3 months ago my dogs stayed on my farm about 6 miles from the house . No electricity for a mile . I tried all kinds of things .