CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:57 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I made an 8 foot cable and staked one out 2 days ago. His paws were very tender and red. I just checked them today and they are way better. He does like being out of the kennel alot better. You should have seen him, he just rolled in the grass for may an hour. It is cold here but he likes to sleep outside. Tomorrow it will be my others turn to be staked out. We have yotes around here also but they do not come in that close. If they do it will be fun having something to shoot at.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: AHHHH!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

SOunds like a HAPPY hound! Nice. Hope it works out great with them. Hope the yotes do stay away. I think MOST places youd be fine. Ours around here are BIG and with development closing in so much they are Desperate. SOunds like your'e doing fine there! Yay, Heather

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:41 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I have both but most of the time my dogs are kenneled.I prefer it by far for parisite control.I shovel every other day so they aint walking in it.My kennels are 10x10 with tops.I like to tie young dogs out to learn the chain but think there is a saftey conscern with me on a chain.Dogs have been known to get a stick or whatever in a chain & twist it up or swivel failure.Also theft is less likely I feel in kennels.Free roaming dogs with attitude is more likely here than wolves & bears.When it rains a dog on a chain can be a wet muddy mess.I run self feeders but still like to get in and around them every day but mostly with the pups.

PR NEON RED QUEEN-yellow river diesel/yellow river fiddle II
GRAND CH.PR NEON RED TYBO-grnt grch andrews mosquito creek go man sam/grnt grch outlaw annie oakley
PR NEON RED SCARY MARY- ntch desperado/mama
PR NEON RED JAKE-ntch desperado/queen
PR NEON RED FIRM FANNY(2 BOS) -grntch hardrock/ntch snakeden hollow jane
CH.PR NEON RED MILLION DOLLAR STAR

Black & Tans
GR.CH.PR NEON RED BLACK RUBBLE
CH.PR OLARS BLACK FORK BETTY-2nd & 3rd place wins-bred to grnt tripple creek lock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

HERE IS MY BUDDY'S SET UP.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd19 ... C02956.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd19 ... C02957.jpg

DOES THE JOB, AND WAS REALLY CHEAP TO SET UP.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: kennels to chains
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I also put my dogs on chains I have two methods, my nite hunters and bench show dogs are in a dog house that is raised 12" off the ground with a bar like on a basketball hoop. that way the dog can run a full circle around the house without getting tangled on anything. and my water and field dogs are on a run i put a cable up between two trees about 40 yards apart and hung a cable down that was attached to a locking d ring. so those dogs can run all the time. they all have houses they have natural shade of trees and there is no stench of a kennel. All it takes is a lawn rake a shovel and a wheel barrel to clean it up. the dogs love it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:45 pm 
IP:
i prefer kennels just simply i had a great loud mouth male i put him on a chain so he wouldn't run off he ended up being a hard puller and it messed his mouth up he never was as loud. i also put a 6 month old male dog on a chain and he chewed on the chain and broke one of his teeth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:48 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

We keep our dogs in the kennel at night. Then when someone is home and during feeding time they are put out on runs.

Our runs are the 100' models from walmart. They use a little heavier hardware. During the warm months they spend a lot of time on them if we are home.

Most of the the time we have 3-4 dogs. They all tend to sleep in one house together. Seems they keep warmer that way. In the winter it gets real cold here, and I tend to get a little nuts about it. I cover the outside of their houses with straw. Once the snow flies they have some real big mounds. Not all that rare to see temps below -20 around here. Then that wind kicks up. It usally takes about 3 bales to cover the outside of the houses.

We have lots of critters running around here. In the kennel they sleep well all night. Out on the chain they would be barking most of the night. Then they would also be sitting ducks if a wolf pack came around. Had a big male walk through the back yard this afternoon while the dogs were feeding. Glad the cables held as 3 of them were pulling hard on the end to get at it.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: Re: kennel or chain?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I dont understand the guys that say they have to clean clean clean to keep their dog from standing in crap, and keep their kennel from stinking. I keep my dog in a 10 x 10 kennel, with a limestone gravel floor, I clean the crap out once a day, it never stinks, and the dog is never walking on its own crap. For the guy that said when it snows the dogs have to stand in snow, I have a top on the kennel, and I tarp off all sides of the kennel except the side with the door, not only does it keep the wind off my dog, it keeps the snow out too.If a dog is chained,wouldnt it have to stand in snow too? .All you have to do is tarp the kennel and when you set your kennel up, try to set it up with the door facing a direction that wind doesnt come from...I never have the snow problems, the crap problems, or the stink problems. I did put straw down once on the floor of the kennel and that did start stinking, i got rid of that, put new gravel down, it have not had a stink problem since

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

guys all my dogs are chained but I have one problem they tend to walk a track around where theya re tied out just a circle at the fartehst point it gets all muddy and nasty any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:54 pm 
IP:
carolina boy my opinion is if u have the land then move the dog houses around if one spot gets mudddy then move it to a spot that aint and let grass grow back in the old spot just keep doing that pattern.

and my choice between kennel er chain is kennel if u have the the materials. i clena kennels daily and dog are put on a dog run for and hour or two every day to get them outta the kennel.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i use tc's design for kennels. i also have a twenty ft. chain with a dog house by it for the day time. i like the kennels bc of the yote problem we have around here. my dogs are never tied out at night. i usually tie them out for a few hours every day unless im hunting them.