CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Kennel Disaster!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My kennel recently got infected with parvo and it killed my best dog! I need help saving it. I just built the kennel it has concrete floors and chain link runs. I need to know how to disinfect or what to do? any and all help help is appreciated. thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Kennel Disaster!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

How did ya get parvo? do ya vaccinate? I would bleach that bad boy as many times as i could!!! i think bleach kills just about evry thing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

about 5 years ago i cut my finger {i skin in the woods} .4 days later i had 104 feaver and started pissin blood ,spent opeanin day of deer huntn and the rest of week in hosp. doc could figure out what i had just a blood born parisite from that puss eyed coon. Kept head of comunital disease workin all weekend. first they thought i had some type of hep. quarantined me for 3 day, wouldnt even change my sweat soaked sheets,just keept pumpin me full of morifene :lol: then they gave me 3 types of antibi.,horse pills.I guess im no more carfull than before.vet told me i prob. had lepto or something. wierd ant it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:42 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Bleach is good, but consider getting a spary disinfectant like kind used in livestock ops check at a local vet or farm supply store comes in 1/2 and 1 gallon size use a plain handheld pump spayer from Walmart to apply Can`t remember cost as I have not gotten any for awhile.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:11 am 
IP:
I use ROCAL you can buy it at farm supply stores. I use it for my kennels and in the calving barn. Its safe for any animals and works great.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

coon2night,

I got the parvo from my breeder, he didnt know the pup had it ! he took it to a vet to get its eye lanced and the pup picked it up there. the vet and the breeder gave money to try and save the pup but it was too late! And i lost alot bc of it. I will try the product rocal thanks Would it be safe to put another dog there since there is dirt near the edge of the cement? A man told me that it could live in the ground for five years and would still infect hounds???

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

wow, that really sucks. we got kennel mites from a breeder,but it was on our house dog, min pin, i think that parvo can lay dormant or live in the dirt to,but im not sure. what if you till or work up that dirt and spray that stuff in it like 10 times. iwould probable dig up that dirt and get rid of it.i would ask a couple vets not just one to see what they thought.i will call my vet monday morn. i think the world of her.i bet yer pretty nervous i woud be freakin out!!!why do bad things have to happen to good people? i'll see what i can find out

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks alot ! any info is really appreciated. Hunters have to stick together

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

http://www.vetinfo.com/dparvo.html CHECK IT OUT HOPE THIS HELPS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:50 pm 
IP:
have you found out anything or is everything working out ok. i hate it that it happened to you. when i read stuff like this it makes kind iof concerned. would like to hear how it all went and best of luck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I took all the dogs someplace else! but i still havent decided what to do . im scared to put another dog in there b/c i cant deal with another death ! im goin to try rocal spray in the kennel then till up the dirt and spray it too! thanks for your help everybody

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:55 pm 
IP:
i hope the spray gets the job done. im sure im not the only who wants to here how it turns out so keep us posted and good luck.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:32 pm 
IP:
I have hade a simaler thing happen and I lost one of my best dogs and a bunch of pups bottom line is it is realy hard to get rid of.The best thing you can do is clean out your kennel with bleach and keep your kennel realy clean and wash it out with bleach evry copple weeks. parvo genarely sticks around for 3-4 mounths but it can get into the dirt and a dog can dig it up years later and still get parvo.Make sure you bag all the dog wast and get rid of it intill you think the parvo has past. These are things I was told to do and it worked for me. Hope this works for you and Hope you the best.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:02 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

spray with Lysol make it strong that stuff is good.use to have the scull and bones on it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:44 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i sprayed mine down for a couple months with bleach and deisel fuel i just swaped up and it worked good