CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just thought i would post my redneck low dollar dog houses and box, I am always looking for cheaper and better ways to keep my dogs, if you got any tips or ideas let me see em
This is an old alcohol tote i picked up cleaned for free, it has a heat lamp in the roof that i wired to come on automaticly @ 36 degrees.It was free and works like a charm
i know every one has seen barrel dog houses but i like to stand'em up cut out a u and simply bend the left over plastic up @ a 45 degree angle it keeps rain and snow out and my dogs like it better than a barrel lying down
This is my old homade dog box, i traded a hay spike for it removed the old covering and replaced it with left over metal from my house when i roofed it
Here is a rear view i left it open cause it gets hot here quick and you box has gotta breathe, i do have a cover for the back if it is real cold out. It's not pretty but i didn't spend $500.00 on it either, why haul a $100.00 dog in a $500.00 box :lol:

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:00 pm 
IP:
thts some good ideas right there i really like the first dog house idea where ya thinks i could pick one up??? and how u set up the heater thing????????

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

walker hounds I got mine from an oil company ( well fracing company) and even though i knew it had alcohol based chemical in it i filled it full of water twice it holds 320 gallons of water the second time i used a bunch of bleach then drained it. Cut out the hole with a sawall . Next i unscrewed the lid off the top so it could have some ventalation had my boy get inside(i have to theres lots of room) and had him feed me the cord to the heat lamp. I wired it so it hung aginst the hole in the top where the bulb is about 2 or 2 & 1/2 feet above the dogs. Then i got a swith you simply plug in any 110(120) volt outlet thats for water well house heathers that automaticly comes on under 36 deg. covered the top with tin and there ya go, it's great for a bitch with pups and 3 adult dogs can sleep in it together. As far as getting one, depends where you live most any oil field guys will know they call em totes and i saw a bunch on craigs list for 15 and 20 dollars depending on how big you wanetd, one last thing, i drilled a bunch of little holes in the bottom it has a drain but it's 2 inches higher than the floor, in the summer you simply spray it out wipe it down and your done. Hope that helps i am gonna go to using them altogether one man can load them by his self and they last forever