CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How Big For Dog House?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hi guys, I am new to this site but I love it.
I am going to build some above ground kennels for a couple coon hounds. They weigh about 70-80#. I live in central Wisconsin and we get very cold winters here. My questions are:
Do I need to build insulated double walled houses?
How big to they need to be? (interior dimentions)

Thanks in advance!

Russ

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:30 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I really can't relate to the very cold winters since louisiana rarely even gets into the 20's. I would assume you'd need an insulated house there and just big enough that they can lay down comfortably. Keep the house small enough that their body heat can keep the house warm. Plus, plenty hay or straw. Down here you can throw hay in a barrel and keep em warm, lol.

&
'PR' Lemoine's Cajun Eli

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I live in northern Michigan and have found that for me the perfect size for this kind of weather is 2Ft high 2ft deep & 4ft long with a divider wall at 3ft this allows a entrance area then the dog turns into a 2x2x3 sleeping area the big advantage is the snow mostly comes off there feet before they step into the bedding & the wind can't go strait into sleeping area I dont insulate mine but the bedding needs to be changed often in the winter to keep it dry. I also hinge the roof to make it easy to change the straw. Just remember the bigger it is the harder it is for them to keep warm. good luck :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:18 am 
IP:
Sounds like Luvemwalkers has a good dog house. Positioning the dog house for wind and snow drifts is pretty important. My dog house is an outter "shell" with dogloos inside (and straw in the dogloos). Dogs can stay outside and keep warm with the set-up, and the outter shell allows them plain ol' shade in the summer (and a place for my saint bernard to fit when it rains).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:00 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey thanks guys.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:56 am 
IP:
Go here. Last set of piks. It may help you out.
Scott
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=75840&p=499957#p499957

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:20 am 
IP:
I live in IL and we get cold weather...not as much as you though...but then again it has been lows in the single digits and highs in the lower 20s, if that, for about a week now with more on the way. However, I have found that a box that is made and sealed well and also includes a flap of some sort works well for moderate cold temperatures. For really cold like the kind we are having I use a heat lamp. They work great. With a litter of pups I put in a heating pad. I use the heat lamp and heating pad because we had them on our hog farm and we had 'em left over. As far as size of box double insulating or walled would help but I believe you would get a lot farther with the heat lamp and getting them away from most of your predominate winds. Just my opinion. Good luck coonin

Post subject: dog houses
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

most people dont know how to build a dog house ,ive had hounds for thirty years if you watch a dog you will know how to build a house,dont build one with a pitch roof build it with a flat roof that has a slight slant so water and snow will run off,a dog loves to lay on top when the sun is shining on a winter day,dont make square with a door in the middle make it rectangle and put the door on the front but at one end so the dog can go inside and get out of the wind,rain and snow,i get the measerments and go to the minanites that build these out buildings they will build them right

Post subject: Re: dog houses
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:09 pm 
IP:
i got a question i built dog house just like ur talkin but in winter i like to put flaps over the hole to keep warm air in. but my one young dog likes to pull his of i used a feed bag. wat ya think i should use that he couldnt pull of??