CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:28 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

idk much about bear dogs but around here there hunt bear with like walkers and black and tans but i think that a black and tan is the best on bear but on coon its walkers all the way

I Hunt Walkers And Redbones

Im A Walker Boy,I Hunt The Best And Get Rid Of The Rest

If You Dont Hunt Walkers Get Out Of The Woods

#4 In Total Post

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:01 pm 
IP:
runin with rambler wrote:
idk much about bear dogs but i think that a black and tan is the best on bear

your thinkin wrong son!! PLOTTS ARE THE BEST BEAR HOUND THERE IS!!! no doubt about it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:10 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

no black and tans r best on bear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:55 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

no the best bear dog is the hound that can take a 2 day track and run and tree that bear . b/c it has to have GRIT , a good nose , and it needs to be LOUD ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:25 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

cooner online wrote:
no the best bear dog is the hound that can take a 2 day track and run and tree that bear . b/c it has to have GRIT , a good nose , and it needs to be LOUD ...

well in that case u need a walker

Post subject: bear dogs
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:35 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Here is my opion and after bear hunting with just about every breed i have found it to be true. I bear hunt with plotts, walkers and english. I think that anydog reguardless of breed has the ability to be a bear dog. A dog has to have grit, speed, brains, desire and a good nose to be a bear dog. I do not think that it depends on the breed i think it depends on the dog in general wether it is a plott or a walker, b& t or redbone. Just cause you have a certain breed that does good on bear doesn't mean that every dog that is the same breed as your is a good bear dog. Everyone around here that i hunt with including me hunts plotts, walkers and english and black and tans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:51 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

amen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:31 pm 
IP:
I do agree!! one of the dogs around here that is becoming to be a great bear dog is the Trigg Hound!!

Post subject: hey
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i run a pack of five and they will run with any plotts or walkers out there there is alot of people that run black&tans but they are not known and the lines of black&tans that are bred for bear arent known very well either like the trackdown dogs the limber lost dogs and a line i know no one on hear has ever heard of is the comanche line of hounds witch is the purest wagner blood still around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:51 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

blackandtan wrote:
I do agree!! one of the dogs around here that is becoming to be a great bear dog is the Trigg Hound!!

yea there so kool dogs

Post subject: B & T
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:24 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I mostly bear hunt plotts cause it seems to be easier to find plott bear dogs around here but I just sold a black & tan not too long ago that was an exceptional bear hound. All breeds will work, you just have to find the right dog. I hunt blue dogs, red dogs, walkers, and some crosses with my plotts and have very good luck. Where I hunt, it's not about how many, or how fast your dogs will tree, but how good they can hold him on the ground. I've seen all breeds hold a bear and seen all breeds leave a bear. It's all about the dogs gritt, not his color.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:54 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

sheesh talk about all the great info. So you all changed my opinion on everything. Basically colors don't tree, it's all in the individual dog in a nutshell, and of course a good background in big game is a plus. I hear that speed is important, and that walkers are a fast breed. This black and tan i got is 75lbs and 27in at the shoulder tall and lengthy, but he also got 9 inch ears, would that make him slower than a short eared walker and how? Is it the speed of tracking or the speed of straight out running? I took this male b&t out last winter and we jumped a cat, he ran to catch and in doing so put the cat in a hole, probably a 150 yard dash in a circle and into a hole, i wouldn't say theres any issue with speed, but when bear hunting you can multiply that 150 yard dash over and over, hauling arse on a bear, with company it's a game, but what about getting one to do it himself and STAY on that bear? Of course this particular dog I have hunts coon in fall and in the winter I would like to say that Ive killed some bobs, but haven't found enough tracks, he's a loner, maybe if he was dumped on a bear track, smelled it and had the desire to run+ seeing the other dogs running that track wouldn't that make him want to run it that much more? I think he'd take a coyote before bear, because I've hunted in some pretty thick bear country and have yet to see him run one, when I know one would have had to cross the dirt road eventually(roading)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:11 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Also this male b&t has ran and treed his own coon, now I've heard and correct me if I'm wrong that if you can get a dog to run and tree his or her own coon, then you can switch them to bear? Am I correct? What if you have a dog that won't run and tree coon, have you seen them run JUST bear? I guess thats kind of a stupid question, let me rephrase, that if he or she runs just bear and has never been corrected to not take coon, there we go, just Naturally a BEAR dog, and nothing else, no corrections neccesary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:44 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:02 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Profile  WWW