CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:09 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

It seems pretty obvious that everyone seems to favor other breeds except Black and Tans? I seen some black and tan big game hounds advertised but they are few and far. What is the deal? Are Black and Tans not gritty enough? I know in vermont your allowed six dogs in a pack. I have yet to see anyone run just black and tans. Yup I seen the ol walker pack, the ol bluetick pack, the ol famous plott pack, oh yeah forgot english. What about the first registerable breed in UKC the b&t? I bet you put six good b&t hounds started on coon on a bear and they could do the job, but then again, I don't know much about bears.

So please someone out there that has been there done that with this breed, let me know why they are lacking from the big game, or maybe their not, and theres just alot of walker, bluetick, plott, redtick people out posting instead of b&t people posting.

I'm sure this question has been brought up before, but I never heard of any logical answers.
Thanks Brian

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Black and Tan
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:25 pm 
IP:
bwebber, I have hunted from Canada to Wisconsin to Mexico with hounds and some of the best big game hounds I have found have been black and tan. I think, like most blood lines any more, that you just have to find a line that is still true. I have a black n Tan right now that is really nice. He is big, rigs well and can move a track both bear and lion. One problem with them is they get hot quicker in the summer becasue of their color.

Thanks,
Kason W. Smith
www.stormyridgeoutfitters.com
435-590-6540

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:25 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

all yeah I hunt bear with B&Ts here in NC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:56 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i have never hunted bear!

PETA
People Eating Tasty Animals

Papers mean a little but i haven't seen papers put a coon up a tree!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:27 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Jan and Sarah on the rig

sarah treed

These two dogs are here to say b&t's can get it done.
These are my cousin's dogs and they are bear dogs from rig to tree.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

" I bet you put six good b&t hounds started on coon on a bear and they could do the job, but then again, I don't know much about bears. "

I would pay to see that happen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:58 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

this is the same thing with me no one i know runs redbones on bear but that is my favorite breed i i am attemping to convirt my 2 yr old over to bear and my 6 mnt old pup if anyone knows of any good strains of redbone bear dogs i would be greatfull if u would tell me

Thanks Redbonehunter931

Post subject: Black Dogs On bear
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:58 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

When I first start out bear hunting A good old boy took me in and Show me the ropes and He had very tough pack Of 3 Black dogs That got it done on some bad Bear i seen these dogs when Kill season came on tree 5 bear in 7 day thats not bad . but now my good freind and best huntin buddy got up there in age and has only 1 old Dog and 1 pup that I help hunt for him.
He had the real Deal IN BLACK & TAN BEAR HOUNDS
DJ

Post subject: plotts
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:46 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

plotts are what u want we have a pack of 4 plotts and when kill season comes around we hunt hard. Our dogs have treed 9 bears in 7 days. If any thing i would try to find i nice plott that is train on bear and will tree by itself then you can train our black an tan with it and make a awsome pack of dogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:36 pm 
IP:
I've never ben bear hunting. I've fount some1 in NC to take me, i just got to get up there. Im tryin to find some1 in Ga to take me but anywho. He told me that he hunts a little of everything. But for the fella lookin for good red bone blood for a bear, try timber choppers. I've all ways heard they were good on big game

P.S

if your in GA/albama or any were close, id like to tag along with ya on a bear hunt.

god bless and safe hunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:59 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Check out my dog Bandit on www.geocities.com/outlawkennelhounds/1 or www.geocities.com/outlawkennelhounds/bandit

He is as good of a bear dog as there is anywhere of any breed. He was turned loose 11 times in 9 days in Wisconsin and we treed 10 of the bear and stretched the one too stupid to tree. He gets it done in the flat lands and in the mountains of East TN and Western NC.

He is Albert bred and I have a female pup for sale out of him currently. There are some black and tans in Wisconsin out of Trackdown bloodlines that get the job done also.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:53 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i have a black and tan that i got from a man in west virgina she was a bear dog but would tree a coon and run a bobcat and a good road hound

704-640-0625
704-278-2823

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:27 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Image Image Image The bear on the left was treed with 2 black dogs and 1 plott and the bear on the left was treed by my spanky dog who is on the tree 3 weeks after a bear broke his rib and left some nice holes in him. Spanky treed this bear with 2 pups following him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:28 pm 
IP:
RedboneHunter931 wrote:
this is the same thing with me no one i know runs redbones on bear but that is my favorite breed i i am attemping to convirt my 2 yr old over to bear and my 6 mnt old pup if anyone knows of any good strains of redbone bear dogs i would be greatfull if u would tell me

Thanks Redbonehunter931

I have to agree that redbones are the best and not many are on bear!! But I know quite a few people from around here at the BEAR FIELD TRIALS that have Redbones trained on bear!! and they are pretty good at it too! 1 of them took 1st place and the other one took 3rd place and i didn't pay attention to the other 20 :!: :!: But ya there are quite a few people around here with them!!