.22mag or .17hmr for coon hunting
22 mag 64%  64%  [ 29 ]
17 hmr 36%  36%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 45
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:58 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

.22lr b/c somtimes u can miss and the hole is not as bad if u hit them in the body

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Neither...I'd stick with the .22lr personally. But, if you want to use one of those over the .22lr the main difference is going to be the accuracy at 100+ yards...the .17HMR shoots considerably flatter. On the flip side, the .22WMR will have more knockdown power because of the heavier bullet weight. If I had to pick, it would be the .22WMR hands-down because I'm not going for 200-yard shots on coons.

gunsmith & hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:17 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Definetely niether one but i heard .17 mach 2 works good, but i use a .22 LR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:36 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

depends where u live i live in pa and up here my coons are averageing 35 40 pounds sometime you need to pop em a couple more times with the 22lr i perfer the 22 mag cause they never want to look at me when there in a hemloc my buddy is buying a 17 gona see how it works

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:11 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

cci came out with the fmj and hollow point for the 17 it doesnt tear squirrels up at all the ballistic tip would shread them so you may want to give that a try jmo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i think I'm outvoted (shocker) but I use both, I carry a 22 mag revolver and a Savage 17 both...I wasn't liking the handgun thing and screwing around trying to aim and hold a light but I recently purchased a Nite Lite trail light and life got amazingly easier to shine and shoot the pistol...they are both loud at night but with proper placement, either will work just fine...I used a 10/22 for awhile but I got sick of shooting them 13 times to kill them so I figured that it's easier just to put up with something a little louder and get the job done quick...just my .02...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:41 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

The two ideal firearms are both rugers
The 10/22 with a decent scope and CCI stingers or solid copper
the second is a pistol the RUGAR single six with CCI MINNI MAGS OR REM SHORTS
by far are the best two damn coonhunting guns in the world ...

OH AND IF YOUR STATE allows it a 20 gauge with #4 or #6 shot works awsome and it doesnt hurt the hide hardly at all

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:08 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am currently using a Remington 597 .17hmr with the gamepiont rounds and having very little damage. now I find out there is a recall on all Remington 597's in the .17hmr caliber. they our not going to fix them but buy them back for 200.00 to 250.00.(in the form of a coupon for one of there other models) sorry pricks but I bought the laminated bull barrel model for 600.00 and will not let them have it back for that. I am currently buying a ruger in their 22 magnum .no more Remington for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have shot both and i like the the 17 for my older dog cause it does alot of damage and he has no teeth to fight
22 mag when i got my pup there
and a 22 long rifle when i want to see a fight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:04 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

hawkdog wrote:
i have used both on coons we shot 4 coons the other nite with a 17 with polamer tiped rounds an head shot no damage at all

ill agree to that it depends on ammo use mainlyi think some types of hmr seemed to explode on contact with skin where ive had other brands that didnt....i always had the best luck and least pelt damage while using hmr hollow points i forget what brand they where but they made a mess of the interals pretty darned good....kinda reminded me off tomatoe soup haha but often times i have trouble finding the entrance hole even when the pelt was being stretched. i love the 17 hmr. ive never had a single "pill" bounce off anything or bounce up the skull bone of a coon like a .22 would do if you were to shoot a coon between the eyes. i cant even count how many coons ive shot out of a tree only hitting them between the eyes.it goes straight in and gets to work right quick. the only exist holes ive seen are with between the eye shots with horandy's polymar tipped shells they leave like a canadian dime sized hole in the back of the skull other then that i aint never had any pelt damage to explosive-ness...buy a couple different brands and fnd out what opens up quick and what gets the job done bud

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:10 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Save the 22 mags. for yotes!!! Granted the coons in Arkansas are not as big as up north but I have a single shot Winchester bolt action that I use with 22 shorts. Virtually no damage to the hide and does the job. It's not loud and if you miss (we all do) it doesn't travel very far. Something to consider if you hunt near any house's or farms.