CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: scopes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:21 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i took my .223 into the place i got it (actually was a gift from my dad) with a question on the scope and the SALESEMAN told me the scope was cheap, and you should always spent more money on a scope than the gun.

well i think thats pure BS. my dad has hunted with a $50 dollar scope on his .270 for fourty plus yrs. and has killed more animals than i could shake a stick at. he has money so i dont know why he doesnt get a new one but i guess he figures it gets the job done, which it does.

and the scope on my .223 is a $300 dollar scope that has a lifetime warranty on it, i think that guy was just full of crap. what do you all think about the "more money on scope than gun" deal.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:57 pm 
IP:
I have cheap scopes and expensive scopes. In the evening when its getting dark is about the only real difference to me. I have a cheap Tasco on one of my guns and its right on for the last 7 years and havent touched it once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:37 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Any Leopold will do just fine :lol: If you study the scope manufacturers first most offer different qualities of scopes in different price ranges. Tasco mentioned above used to be cosidered cheap junk but with their world class scopes they came out with one of the better scopes.
Quality can be any combination of lens coatings, structural quality and brand name. I personally feel the higher the recoil of a rifle the better quality scope you want to. Years ago I put a Simons Whitetail scope on a new 7mm. My wife and kids had given me a very special hunting trip, and while taret practicing before I left, the range finder cross hair broke because of the recoil! They then gave me a new Leopold scope to! Hard to express my appreciation to them....lol

Mel

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

IMO I think the guy probably knows that you have some money and just wanted you to buy another scope. To me if a $300 dont get the job done something is wrong with the scope. I had a .308 that I put a $90 scope on took it bear hunting and it did just fine. I know the 223 dont have that much recoil to it. Take it somewhere else.
But thats just my opinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:56 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

ya nothin was wrong with the scope and i like it alot, but my patterns were a little bit off so i took it in to have the guy look at it to see if he could see somethin wrong that i couldnt; and thats when he gave me his "sales pitch.", but then i read my manual those .223s get real hot and it will really effect your pattern at 100 yrds. i went and shot today and got it dead on. i let it cool about five min ever three shots, long wait but i wanted this gun dead on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:52 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Let me put it to you this way. if you are shooting at 600 yard target, get the bazliion dollar scope. if you are taking deer at 100 yard, get the $200 model.
or less. hitting the X means hitting the X, and at 100 yard or even 200 you can hit the X ok with a $200 scope.

The salesman just wants your cash. Big dollar items have big markup. I knw, I sell both schmidt and Binder and Leupold.

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:01 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

well said bubba.

i have everything from cheap tascos to $200-&400 burris's and redfields on my highpowers. these days you can get a great scope in the $150 to $300 range. gotta love them salesmen. LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:19 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

ya i figured he was just after some commison. the guy told me he classifies a good scope at 1,000 dollars, no joke. i would never spend that much money on a scope. i have zero reason to. thanks for your input guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:40 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I tell you what, to get a gun to hit zero or close to it is way overrated as scopes are. I have hunted with cheap scopes with very lose patterns. All of my guns are set up to not be zero at 100 Yards. Very few times will a scope bigger than a 3x9-40 ever be needed. I use a 4x for just about everything including those LONG shots and never miss. They are all about the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:16 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

mnb&t wrote:
well said bubba.

i have everything from cheap tascos to $200-&400 burris's and redfields on my highpowers. these days you can get a great scope in the $150 to $300 range. gotta love them salesmen. LOL.

thanks, that's why I got into the gun business. I got sick of some of these guys pushing stuff on people that hey didn't need. either it is total junk or totally unecessary. On one hand, I won't sell junk. but on the other hand, if you don't need a $1,000 scope don't get one. Honestly. I use Leupold VX-I and VX-II scopes myself. Granted I do get them a cost, But they do everything I want or need. I also sell Schmidt and Bender but I don't own one. Don't need it.

I remember when I bought my Browning A-bolt. It was before I got my FFL so I went through a Browning dealer. As soon as the sale went through, he tried to sell me a Zeiss scope. Frickin thing cost twice as much as the rifle! I have a VX-II on it and it'll drive nails...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have a cheap 4x Tasco on my 22 rifle a carbine style Marlin that i coon hunt with that has been on it for years with no trouble at all, my 2 deer rifles both ,270 Win. one a Remington BDL and the other a Ruger 77 are both fitted with 3x9 Redfield Widefield Illumanators at are excellent scopes and have never given me any trouble either and cost a heck of a lot more than the Tasco !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:27 pm 
IP:
Leupold is the only way to go. Quality, liftetime warranty and made in the USA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:49 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

swamphunter22 wrote:
Leupold is the only way to go. Quality, liftetime warranty and made in the USA.

I'm a big believer in Leupold's swamphunter and you don 't have to spend a million dollars to get a good one. I do have to say though that Thge Nikon shotgun scope is really nice, too. Ithaca is putting them on their deerslayer III shotgun and they are nicely made.