CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:34 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

That's right ruff. They are American made at the FN factory.
Ruger doubles are made very strong, to be sure. They just aren't aesthetic.

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Mostly semi, but some pump. In the semi I would say Benalli or remington. In pump it would be remington or winchester.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

To be honest I just use a weak bolt action it gets the job done and ain't too hard to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:34 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I like a pump, Ya cant kill'em, I have a Benelli Nova. And I love that gun, it holds a better pattern then my cusines Benelli Super Black Egale, and it's light and doen't recoil bad at all. Except with 3 1/2's I just dont like to shoot them, they hurt no matter what gun you shoot them out of.

Ch Cow Dog Salty Dog's Mack

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:32 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well Ruff & Bubba, I contacted FN U.S.A. about the model 70 to find out what their definition of "produced" means. I asked if the model 70 is "made" in the U.S.A. or if it's parts were made else where and "assembled" in the U.S.A. There was no confirming or denial either question from them and I was only thanked for my question and offered a catalog if I wanted one. I'm still looking for info about this question but, from talking with other gun nutz like myself & gunsmiths, I've been told that the model 70 now offered is "made" the same place the military & police tactical rifles are made, in Belgian. I have found no evidence supporting this claim being true though. It seems the only place to get the correct answer is from FN and they're not talking about it. So, I recall my statement that the model 70 being offered now is "made" in Belgian until I can find any evidence that supports it. The only agreed upon statements that I've gathered from others are that Winchester hasn't made the model 70 since 1964. Everything post 64 has only carried the Winchester trade mark according to them. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:07 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

wv blue hunter wrote:
Well Ruff & Bubba, I contacted FN U.S.A. about the model 70 to find out what their definition of "produced" means. I asked if the model 70 is "made" in the U.S.A. or if it's parts were made else where and "assembled" in the U.S.A. There was no confirming or denial either question from them and I was only thanked for my question and offered a catalog if I wanted one. I'm still looking for info about this question but, from talking with other gun nutz like myself & gunsmiths, I've been told that the model 70 now offered is "made" the same place the military & police tactical rifles are made, in Belgian. I have found no evidence supporting this claim being true though. It seems the only place to get the correct answer is from FN and they're not talking about it. So, I recall my statement that the model 70 being offered now is "made" in Belgian until I can find any evidence that supports it. The only agreed upon statements that I've gathered from others are that Winchester hasn't made the model 70 since 1964. Everything post 64 has only carried the Winchester trade mark according to them. :lol:

Funny. I remmeber reading the press release when they announced the return of the model 70 and I do recall it said that it was going to be made in the South Carolina factory. Maybe they are having production and tooling issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Bubba as far as the model 70 being produced, you are right. It comes from the SC. plant. I just couldn't get an answer from FN U.S.A. as to what FN U.S.A.'s definition of produced means, if it's "made" on site in the SC. plant or if it's parts are made else where and it's assembled at the SC. plant. The opinion of others I've talked with is that it's only assembled at the SC. plant but, I can find no evidence to support that claim. So, until I can find anything solid to say that the model 70 is made else where and only assembled in the U.S.A., I would have to assume that it's made at the FN U.S.A. plant in SC. I do find it a little ironic that all those years ago Winchester refused John Browning's design (the A-5 semi-auto) as well as his offer that the A-5 would carry his name & now the company that he helped make famous (FN) with that same design is carrying the Winchester name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:26 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

wasn't browning the same way, us repeating arms owned both names.

ive always been told that all the guns that had the browning name where pattens that jmb couldn't sell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:41 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Some of the parts could come from multiple sources. They could be made on sight, in Belgium, even by Miroku in Japan. Or they might get billets or forgings from one source and mill them themselves on site. Maybe the sources rotate so they have a steady supply of parts. Maybe that is why they couldn't say. Odds are they don't produce all their parts on site. They probably do the large and critical parts and things like synthetic stocks and spring are contracted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

bubbasbbq wrote:
Some of the parts could come from multiple sources. They could be made on sight, in Belgium, even by Miroku in Japan. Or they might get billets or forgings from one source and mill them themselves on site. Maybe the sources rotate so they have a steady supply of parts. Maybe that is why they couldn't say. Odds are they don't produce all their parts on site. They probably do the large and critical parts and things like synthetic stocks and spring are contracted.
That sounds right bubba. As far as I'm concerned the model 70 offered today are made in the U.S.A. at the SC. plant, until that is proven to be untrue with credible evidence. Ruff, the guns with the Browning name weren't designs that John Browning couldn't sale. They were designs that companies like Winchester & others refused to come to terms with John Browning on about him getting his fair share of the $$$ sales. After Winchester turned Browning down & honestly thought he would come back to them because he needed them to sale his firearm designs more than they needed him, Browning went to Belgian and made an agreement with FN. Winchester really kicked their self in the butt for losing the chance to make & sale the Browning A-5 shotguns. Winchester never even got to make the A-5 design even during the WW II years that Belgian was taken by the Germans. Remington made them and called them the model 11. Savage did made a copy of the A-5 design and called them the 720 series of their semi-auto shotguns. Browning had lots of firearm designs that were very well known. Many of those were for the US. military with the likes of all the Browning Machine guns the military adopted. A lot of the best known & favored firearms made for military and/or public use were designs from John Browning's mind. The model 1911 semi-auto pistol is a good example. He is also the father of the .50 caliber BMG round, that so many long range shooters like shooting today, as well as it being the caliber choice of the Barret line of sniper rifles the military uses. John Browning's firearm designs are still seen to this day. That should give an ideal of the mans ability to design firearms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:01 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

You are quite right about the Savage 720, it is a licensed version of the auto-5. However, if you ever get one, check it carefully. they have a problem with the receiver cracking down near the back of the ejection port right back to the hump. Seems they milled that area too thin and they fatigue and break after time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:25 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i am familar with jmb's ability to build a great gun. dont leave out the 1917 and 1919 machineguns that carried us through two world wars i think those two had a more profound impact on the broad scheme the m2 was a good at what it did has been there for years and the 1911 and the BAR definitely gave soldiers, sailors, and marines peace of mind. but the 17s and 19s where there every day and i think are more of the unsung heros. and since this is a pump-auto thread, correct me if im wrong but didn't he design the win 93 97 and mod 12 pumps.

man i love a 97 pumpgun

we need a John Moses Browning national holiday

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:41 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

He didn't design the model 12. He left winchester by then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

bubba you're a gunsmith, the mod 12 has a left hand screw right? and is the only one with a left hand screw, not counting the late models?

man told me this, and i thought that was interesting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:45 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

ruff price wrote:
bubba you're a gunsmith, the mod 12 has a left hand screw right? and is the only one with a left hand screw, not counting the late models?

man told me this, and i thought that was interesting

this is correct, The main screw holding the trigger assembly has a left hand thread. You re also correct that it is the only one of its era to have the "feature" First model 12 I ever took apart, I didn't know the screw was lefthand. You should have seen me work that sucker...