CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Shotgun - Pump or Auto?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:59 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

What do you guys prefer and why? I have and use many types of both.

Browning BPS
Remington 870
Ithaca

Browning Gold 12ga 3-1/2"
Beretta 390 12ga
Browning A5 12 & 20ga
S&W Model 1000 12 & 20ga
Beneilli M-1 12 ga

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:13 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I prefer an over/under I'm lefthanded and it is easier for me to operate, plus it just feels better.

Right now I'm using a rizzini artemis classic

If i had to choose an auto it would be a Benelli Monefeltro and a Winchester model 12 for a pump

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

TWOBIT wrote:
What do you guys prefer and why? I have and use many types of both.
What is the shotgun going to be used for? A pump action for everyday use, the Remington model 870, or a Mossberg model 500 (with twin action bars), because there are millions & millions of parts for them on the market for these brands and models. A pump action for collecting, the Winchester model 12. In an everyday use auto, any of the Remington 11?? models, because they are simple to work on and you can get parts at a reasonable price. For collecting, Browning A-5. There are many other makes and models that will work just as good and have as much or more collector's value than the models I stated. I chose these models because of my experience with the use of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:48 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

pump only will not use a auto. rems mostly

Nite Ch Ch Pr second natures buck
pr second natures crook(light foot)
pr second natures lightfoot boone
pr second natures bucks jr
pr second natures lightfoot jess
ImageImageImageImage

Post subject: Double for me
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:34 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I like a side by side 20 inch for grouse and 27 for duck and phesants it just handles better for me I have a pump and an auto but they mostly get left at home or loaned to others

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:20 pm 
IP:
i use a browning gold 3 1/2 winch i love that gun!!! i use it huntign ducks, turkeys, phesants, and anything else that i can use it for!!! My dadddy says cuz im a girl i cant handle it but he got a bruise when he shot it and i didnt!!! lol

becky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:34 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Golds are great shotguns, Becky, that is for sure. Just make sure you keep the gas system cleaned. They have a tendency to collect gunk a bit faster than some other brands. They are very well made and will cycle nearly anything.

Your story about recoil reminded me about something that happened when I was a kid. My Uncle had this old German made double barrel. I cna't for the life of me remember the make, but it was a beautiful gun. Anyway, it must have had a short chamber and a very short forcing cone because when I shot it, I thought for sure I broke something! I don't think I ever felt recoil like that in my life. I think I still have the bruise, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I prefer side by sides anymore I like the ones with double triggers and extractors that way I can choose barrel and choke in a hurry I like the extractors because I hunt some public ground and don't want to leave empty shells laying around not everybody using the area hunts Stoeger makes a decent gun for the money also like TriStar thats best I can afford other than that can't beat rem 870 uses more steel parts than others when shooting 3 1/2" shells I'd rather be holding steel than aluminum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:16 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

curhunter wrote:
I prefer side by sides anymore I like the ones with double triggers and extractors that way I can choose barrel and choke in a hurry I like the extractors because I hunt some public ground and don't want to leave empty shells laying around not everybody using the area hunts Stoeger makes a decent gun for the money also like TriStar thats best I can afford other than that can't beat rem 870 uses more steel parts than others when shooting 3 1/2" shells I'd rather be holding steel than aluminum

Hey for the money, the Stoeger has one of the better locking systems made. A little busy, but it will last, especailly when compared to others in the same price range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:24 pm 
IP:
Second Nature wrote:
pump only will not use a auto. rems mostly

Gotta say I love the pump too, just because it feels so sporty. Kinda like lever action rifles, that loud clicking sound when you chamber the bullet is just wonderful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:17 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

im an auto person. i have a plethora of shotguns 3 of which are pumps m12 12 ga, a m12 16 ga and a 1200(rides under the seat of my truck). but my favs are my model 50 full choked (dont know why but probably one of my most favorites) got another in mod. but when the super x2 came out i had to have me one of them and i got it and it sees probably more action than any thing i got

i just cant go back to a pump gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ruff, I liked the Winchester Super X model 1 shotgun. It really shot good and I couldn't tell much difference in the weight of it and my 870's. The only difference I could make in them was it seemed like the 870 was faster & easier to bring to point on snap shots than the Super X model 1. That is just how it felt to me. It may be different to another shooter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:01 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

wv blue hunter wrote:
ruff, I liked the Winchester Super X model 1 shotgun. It really shot good and I couldn't tell much difference in the weight of it and my 870's. The only difference I could make in them was it seemed like the 870 was faster & easier to bring to point on snap shots than the Super X model 1. That is just how it felt to me. It may be different to another shooter.

I have to say that the Super X is a pretty nice shotgun. After years of putting out junk, I was glad to see WInchester put out something well made. Now that they are making the model 70 pre 64 style, I hope they come back strong as ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

bubbasbbq wrote:
wv blue hunter wrote:

I have to say that the Super X is a pretty nice shotgun. After years of putting out junk, I was glad to see WInchester put out something well made. Now that they are making the model 70 pre 64 style, I hope they come back strong as ever.
Bubba, the only thing wrong with what they're making now is it's not American made. Browning, who owns Winchester, closed the US. plant. They will still use the Winchester name but the rifle will be stamped Belgium made. In all truth, they are NOT totally Belgium made. The receiver could be made in Belgium, the barrel made in Japan, the wood stock made in Italy. It's turned Winchester into a Heinz 57 firearm. Browning has made the Winchester into it's cheaper line of firearms, while still selling the Browning named firearms for a high premium. there's quite a lot of moving around going on the firearm manufacturing business. Marlin had bout out H&R and NEF (New England Firearms) a couple years back. Then, Remington bought out Marlin as of January 1, 2008. This means that Remington also owns the H&R and NEF brand name firearms now. Remington has yet to say if they intend on making Marlin, H&R, or NEF brand firearms for future sales. It's still unknown if Remington bought these brand names to stop any compitition to their brand. The Winchester US. plant closing and being moved to Belgium only helped Remington. But, Remington is no better than Browning because they are buying firearms on contract from Russia and importing them here to sale. You can tell the difference between the US. made Remingtons and the Russian made ones. The Russian made firearms are a cheaply built, low quality firearm with lots of faults with them, such as not completely polishing the tool marks away, the fit & finish leaves a lot to desire as well. Ruger is the only firearms manufacturer that really stands in the way of Remington as it is now (this statement is meant for long guns, hunting rifles, .22 LR. caliber rim fire rifles, and the under/over Red Label & side by side Gold Label shotguns.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:19 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

wv blue hunter wrote:
bubbasbbq wrote:
wv blue hunter wrote:

Bubba, the only thing wrong with what they're making now is it's not American made. Browning, who owns Winchester, closed the US. plant. They will still use the Winchester name but the rifle will be stamped Belgium made. In all truth, they are NOT totally Belgium made. The receiver could be made in Belgium, the barrel made in Japan, the wood stock made in Italy. It's turned Winchester into a Heinz 57 firearm. Browning has made the Winchester into it's cheaper line of firearms, while still selling the Browning named firearms for a high premium. there's quite a lot of moving around going on the firearm manufacturing business. Marlin had bout out H&R and NEF (New England Firearms) a couple years back. Then, Remington bought out Marlin as of January 1, 2008. This means that Remington also owns the H&R and NEF brand name firearms now. Remington has yet to say if they intend on making Marlin, H&R, or NEF brand firearms for future sales. It's still unknown if Remington bought these brand names to stop any compitition to their brand. The Winchester US. plant closing and being moved to Belgium only helped Remington. But, Remington is no better than Browning because they are buying firearms on contract from Russia and importing them here to sale. You can tell the difference between the US. made Remingtons and the Russian made ones. The Russian made firearms are a cheaply built, low quality firearm with lots of faults with them, such as not completely polishing the tool marks away, the fit & finish leaves a lot to desire as well. Ruger is the only firearms manufacturer that really stands in the way of Remington as it is now (this statement is meant for long guns, hunting rifles, .22 LR. caliber rim fire rifles, and the under/over Red Label & side by side Gold Label shotguns.)

blue. the new winchesters are made by FN in south carolina.

ruger makes some of the strongest firearms on the market today. but what i think the ruger lacks is style. all the ruger firearms are either bulky or lack appealing lines. but GREAT guns