CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:24 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

What if any did the 30-06 have the advantage over the 7MM Mag at close range?????? On bear

Take the next generation hound hunting they are our future. hound hunting since 1973

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hubby says Very little

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:59 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

LOL!!!!! Just a hint ALCAN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I believe before all of the new "super bullets" had come out, choices were limited so the fact that the 30cal bullet came in much heavier wieght, up too 220 i think, it made it a better short range choice than the lighter 7mm bullets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

He said close range (0-10ft) neither round would be superior.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:45 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

riflecarrier wrote:
I believe before all of the new "super bullets" had come out, choices were limited so the fact that the 30cal bullet came in much heavier wieght, up too 220 i think, it made it a better short range choice than the lighter 7mm bullets.

Your on the right track :D :D :D :D Just need to expand. Short range is withen a hundred yards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:04 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I think the heavier bullet would be able to penetrate better on a bear with there muscle and heavy bone. Sometimes you need to smash through them alittle i would imagine and that bigger bullet would pack a better punch. I like the question and answer of this stuff, it is informative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:37 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Velocity doesn't equate to penetration. You need mass for that. Also a good slug that won't expand easily or break apart is also a factor. A heavy (200-250 gr) slug in a partition type configuration will hit harder than a small (under 200 gr) slug moving at high speed especially if it is one that is designed to expand quickly.

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:19 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

does a slower bullet with more knock down ring any bells?? with the ability to penetrate without blowing up on inpact????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Are both calibers using the same bullet design and weight? A 30-06 Springfield caliber with a 174 grain bullet designed for penetration & a 7MM Rem. Magnum caliber with a 175 grain bullet with the same design would show little if any difference at such a short range of 100 yards. If any difference was to be noticed, the 7MM Rem. Magnum would have more penetration than the 30-06 Springfield caliber with the same weight and design bullets at such a short range. The 7MM Remington Magnum caliber was not made to compete with any other caliber at the 100 yard range. It's long range effect was the cause of it's birth and it's performance at those long ranges are what has kept it alive. Move the target out to 600-800 yards to see the difference. At 100 yards the 7MM Rem. Magnum caliber is over kill unless your hunting moose or other very large game animals. Sure the 7MM Rem. Magnum can be used on deer and black bear and such at 100 yards but that would be like using an axe to slice tomatoes. Any shot at any target is more about placement the power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:26 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

given you said caliber not action type i say 30-06 b/c theoretically you could be packing an m1 and i do believe i would rather have the greatest battle implement ever devised that a m700 in 7mm, either one in 10 feet if you hit the target in the same spot you are gonna get similar results

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:35 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ruff price wrote:
packing an m1 and i do believe i would rather have the greatest battle implement ever devised
I agree with everything you stated in your post ruff. My only disagreement is your statement that the M-1 is the greatest battle implement ever devised. I think the M-14 is the best battle rifle the military ever issued. Now I could go as far as saying the M1-A1 is right there next to the top of the list. Really, the M-14 is a M-1 with a lot of better up grades made to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:06 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

sorry i should have quoted that statement. that was what Gen Patton said about the garand. the greatest battle implement ever devised. at the time he said that, it was. and i also agree with you about the m1 a1 in my opinion it should get the title of greatest. but the m1a1 being only 308 i wouldn't have been able to shoot the bear at close range with, but you better believe that is what i would rather have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:57 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

ruff price said.
Quote:
sorry i should have quoted that statement. that was what Gen Patton said about the garand. the greatest battle implement ever devised. at the time he said that, it was. and i also agree with you about the m1 a1 in my opinion it should get the title of greatest. but the m1a1 being only 308 i wouldn't have been able to shoot the bear at close range with, but you better believe that is what i would rather have.

those two weapons are two guns i wouldnt trade for ANYTHING. i own both and love them close or long range. if i had a bear up close i would take either over any magnum of any action. they never fail to operate perfectly, unlike some autos.

happy shooting.