Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:05 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

They still make them that small?

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:34 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yes.Remington has 100 gr 270 factory ammo and a couple of bullet companies have the bullets themselves for reloading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:55 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

LPatterson wrote:
Yes.Remington has 100 gr 270 factory ammo and a couple of bullet companies have the bullets themselves for reloading.

Awful lot of powder for such a small slug. Must shoot pretty flat, although it would have a greater coefficient of friction over the .243.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:59 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Most of you on here I know in person. This is a give me, just look at the ballistic charts, at the knock down energy at 100 yards with the same bullet and grain weight. Then you have to look at the accuracy what can I expect out of that weapion.

Take the next generation hound hunting they are our future. hound hunting since 1973

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

LPatterson wrote:
bubbasbbq wrote:
I think the question, CAN you get the same grain of bullet? As far as I know, the heaviest slug you can get for a .243 is about a 105 gr and the smallest for the .270 is a 130 gr. At those weights, the .243 tops out at about 2400 Ft-lbs and the .270 tops out at about 2600 ft-lbs.
Bullet weights for the 270 go down to 100 grains.
I'm sorry Sir but, the .270 Winchester round goes down to as much as 90 grain bullets. I have a 500 count box of Sierra 90 grain hollow point bullets right now that I reload in .270 Winchester caliber. They are designed for small varmints like groundhog & prairie dog. The 90 grain & 100 grain bullets in .270 Win. caliber can't be shot at a high velocity because they do not stabilize, meaning they are not accurate. There would be no noticeable difference in the .243 Win. & .270 Win. calibers with the same exact bullet in weight & design at 100 yards. These 2 calibers aren't close to their working ranges at 100 yards. The 100 yard range is for a caliber like the 30-30 Win. or a rifle slug in a 12 GA. shotgun. The .270 Win. caliber was designed around the 130 grain bullet. In the 130 grain bullet it can be used by the average hunter in an average rifle out to the 300-350 yard range. This same caliber can be used at longer ranges than that with a more experienced shooter and advanced rifle with a heavier bullet. The 90 & 100 grain bullets are a waste at these longer ranges. They are to light to be stable and effective at longer ranges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:38 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

knock down of a 243 and 270 its almost impossible compare the lightest made of one and the heaviest made of another a 130 grain flat nosed 270 has a heck of a lot more "knockdown" than a fmj pionted 130 grain 270 because if a bullet makes it through a target the target recieves only a part of the energy but if the bullet doesnt penetrate the back of the target the target recieves 100% of the energy at whatever yardage. you must look at the sectional denseity of the bullet for knockdown and the ballistic coeficient for the energy retention at 100 yards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ruff, I've seen a lot of people that think if they use a 220 grain bullet in a 30-06 Springfield or use a 45-70 caliber rifle or a lot of the bigger magnum calibers, that when they shoot a deer, black bear, ect. it will stake that animal to the ground right there in it's tracks or flip it through the air once or twice like on TV or a movie. Sometimes that may happen but, not all of the time. If the animal you are shooting at has been jumped up & ran in to you scared, with it's adrenaline pumping, you can hit it with almost any caliber round and it's going to run some. Might not be 50 yards, or it might be 200 yards that it runs. If that same animal just happens to walk into your shooting range and doesn't know anything is within 5 miles of hurting it, then you shoot it. It most times, will take a jump, look around, maybe hop/walk/stagger a few yards and lay down or fall down. That is if you or nothing else moves after the shot. I've hunted deer with a 55 grain lead point bullet in a .223 caliber rifle and taken some very large deer with it. Quite a few of them only jerked at the shot, like they got bee stung, and stood right there until they fell over dead. I placed the shot in the right place. That is what took them down, not a 6000 grain bullet out of a anti- air craft gun. And I don't even want to tell you the times that I've seen so much deer meat wasted when shot with a ballistic tip bullet on any part of it's body that is hit. I just don't see wasting meat like that. Those ballistic tip bullets are for varmints like coyotes. Some guys say head shots everytime. Yes, a head shot will drop them, if you hit it in the right place every single time. I've seen too many deer with out lower jaws because of that theory. What ever animal you are shooting at, you owe it to that animal to take it as cleanly and as fast as possible without waste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:40 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

wv blue you totally missed the point, or you may have and are totally agreeing with me. i cant really tell from the context

the topic isnt 223 to a "6000" grain aa round. its 243 vs 270 according to "knockdown" on paper which isnt possible to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:00 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ruff, yes I agree with what your saying. Sorry about the rambling on in my post. Just trying to make the point of what a lot of people think the definition of Knock Down power is and some ways they think it should look/happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:30 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I got a winchester 270 wsm and its a great gun