CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: i dont own a gun!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:43 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

ok so i dont even own a gun and this upsoming season will be my first coon season and im going to get me a gun what kind of gun do you suggest me buying?

"Dont think back it will hold you back"

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:10 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

in my humble opinion buy a .22 rifle for coons ... the brand and model will be your choice depending on your wants and needs ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If your not much of a shot with a pistol There are some short 22 rifles out there that are easy to carry in the woods. Marlin papoose, henery us survival both about 3 foot in length

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:27 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

them henry survival guns r tough little guns

home of Owens'
PKC CH Woodstock Dot
Funky Freckles (Freck)(the project dog)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:43 pm 
IP:
I really like my Savage .17 HMR, though almost always go out with my 20 guage shotgun. That shotgun sure gets heavy in the woods though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:49 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i went from 22 semiautomatic to 20 ga shotgun to 12 ga shotgun. i've used a .17 pellet rifle too. i thought i would always use the 12 ga until recently i started using my 22 again. i seem to get just as many squirrel with the 22 as i did with the shotgun. i use the 22 short sub sonics. they're quite and don't do much damage. you don't have to worry about bitting down on a shot either. they a lot cheaper than the 12ga hi vol. no. 5 i was using. the rifle and shells are lighter too. i found i'm a pretty good shot even with my worn out 22 pump action rifle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:58 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Ruger 10/22. Inexpensive and is argueably the best .22 rifle ever made. Certainly one of the most popular.

Home of:

NITECH Beaver Creek Stylish Nellie

CH Whitey's Stylish Samantha

Triple X-Rated

Rank's Stylish Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:17 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I am with Russell, the Ruger 10/22 is the best selling .22 ever and there is a reason for that. I will disagree when he said "argueably" I don't think a person could argue different. Inexpensive to buy, inexpensive to shoot, and inexpensive to maintain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:57 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i have been to gun stores,gun shows and pawn shops and seen some cheap guns for my style of coon hunting down in the dirt with the dogs any gun you can get for under 100 is what i use no semi autos. to ez to have one go off but thats just me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:54 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I like 22 crickets

PETA
People Eating Tasty Animals

Papers mean a little but i haven't seen papers put a coon up a tree!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:48 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Well I use to love a 22 long but I have had real bad luck lately with DUDS. I would say a 22 mag but like the 17 they have a tendency to leave a coon in the tree. I wouldn't recomend a pistol to anyone, can't stand them won't own one. JMO

Take the next generation hound hunting they are our future. hound hunting since 1973

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

MTcoonhunter, do you sale your pelts?? i heard from many that fur buyers wont look at pelts shot with a shotgun because coon are sold skin out...

all a coonhunter needs is a 22lr i prefer a small lever action. we cant use semiautos here...i like the lever guns becuase i can work the lever without ever moving anything except a couple fingers..i can keep my light and crosshairs on the coon and keep shootin till he falls...aint often it takes more than 1, but if i hit a limb, pull a shot, or dont have a head shot, im filling it with lead before it hits the ground...i want that coon dead before it hits the ground. getting the hounds sewed up can get expensive. no need for a hound to have to deal with a wounded coon...

we use a winchester 9422 with the tube magazine...if were going another drop in the same woods we will leave the empty shell in the chamber and hammer dropped..cant go off on a dead shell...if were walking alot or leaving those woods, we unload...only takes a second to load and unload...i wont coonhunt with a live shell in any gun...coon rifles take a beating...i dont need any accidents...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The rifle i like for squirrel and for coon is my rem 597 in 22lr its light and was $200 bran new i put a bushnel 1.5-4.5 scope on it for $80 works great have never had a fireing issue yet! l it shoots accurate works on coon,squirrel,crow,oposum and anyother small game even a yote if i had to ! oh and if you work a ranch and you have to put a horse down it will drop a 18 hands high stallion with one shot! dont belive me on that put the barrel in its ear point down towards the top of the eyes and watch the horse drop ... brain shot horse is now good for glue!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:23 am 
IP:
mauser06 wrote:
MTcoonhunter, do you sale your pelts?? i heard from many that fur buyers wont look at pelts shot with a shotgun because coon are sold skin out...

No, I don't sell them. The shotgun does put holes on the hide, but they are small enough that I'm able to work around them (LOL, with my horrible "tanning" skills :D ). I bought a little .22 pistol yesterday, since where I hunt you can use pistols, shotguns, etc, but no rifles are allowed. It'll be quite awhile before I get comfortable with the pistol though, need to do a lot of target shooting first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

coonhunter201, i agree cricket .22[/quote]