CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Coyote rifle ?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:42 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I got a question for yall which caliber should I get for yotes my three choices are 223, 22-250, and 243 . I am lookin at the 243 cause it is kinda thick where I hunt and not a whole lot of long shots but I found a 22-250 that I may not be able to pass up which is yalls opion the 223 might be a good choice cause I am gonna use a heavy bulllet in all of the calibers mentioned say 60 on the 22-250 , and a 60 to 70 on the 243 , the 223 will be a 60 or so. I hunt in the mountains of VA the longest shot might be 100 yards unless I hunt in some of the farm country in this county and I wont shoot over 200 there either. give a guy some info !!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:57 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

The 220 Swift is the one missing from your list!! My favorite though is the 22-250. Ilive in the great plains and foothills type of country. A five hundred yard shot presents itself regularily. For shots a hundred yards or less you can add all sorts of other calibers if you want and still be highly accurate.

Mel

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:26 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have them all, I would buy the 223 because the ammo is cheaper
Frog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:18 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I agree with Frog, ammo prices are through the roof. Paul Conway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:32 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

All of the choices listed will work well for yotes. I would go with the 243 - you can always use it for whitetails if you like....

We have been over-run by yotes in the past few years where I am...I even shot one with a 40cal Glock at night coon hunting. I really enjoy shooting them with reloaded #4 Buck or #2 lead out of my BPS 10ga....if I can get them in that close - if not, I will use a nasty little 223.

I see you are in South Virginia - kill all the yotes you can before they head south.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i tell ya i love my 22-250.no recoil.... ive killed hundreds of ground hogs and many coydogs,.......... i get the bulk ammo from cabelas and they shoot and kill just fine for alot less money

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:39 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

TWOBIT wrote:
All of the choices listed will work well for yotes. I would go with the 243 - you can always use it for whitetails if you like....

We have been over-run by yotes in the past few years where I am...I even shot one with a 40cal Glock at night coon hunting. I really enjoy shooting them with reloaded #4 Buck or #2 lead out of my BPS 10ga....if I can get them in that close - if not, I will use a nasty little 223.

I see you are in South Virginia - kill all the yotes you can before they head south.

where in nc are you? i am on the central coast and have only seen one and it had been killed by my friend while he was turkey hunting. we've got so many possums, if we have yotes they must not like eating them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:56 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I am in Iredell County (where there are reports of yotes inside city limits). I hunt all over this area. Iredell, Alexander, Catawba, Burke, Caldwell, Rowan, Wilkes and Cabarus Counties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:10 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

we're in the same state but different worlds. i wish i knew you're area well enough to hunt it. i'll bet you've got a lot of hunting ground. happy hunting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:43 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

You're right....same state, different worlds.

....not too many places, just a handful here and there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

17 Remington is a great coyote gun. Kills like lightning and you don't have to sew up the fur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:01 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

There is no substitute for cubic inches or large calibers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:15 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

223 with 30 shot clip can drop a coyote really fast

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:35 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The .223 cal. will handle any of the yotes at the distances you stated. You don't need the 60 GRN. bullets in it for it to preform at those distances either, the 50 & 55 GRN. bullets will work. The .223 cal. rifle you use will have to have a fast rate of twist barrel to handle the 60 GRN. bullets if you choose to use them. I suggest the .223 cal. not only because it can handle the job you described at those distances but, it will do it at a cheaper cost than the other calibers you listed. My person opinion of the 243 WIN. cal. is it's a good round but, before I would buy a rifle in that cal. I would go ahead and get it in 6MM REM. Same bullet, bigger case, more performance for your $$. If you roll your own bullets, then you know the performance differences in the 243 WIN. & the 6 MM REM. Anything any further than what the .223 cal. can reach and handle effectively, I would then move up to the 25-06 REM. cal. More range and a heavier bullet that will be more stable at longer ranges. I don't shoot yotes for their hide when I see them so, my advise for calibers would not fit into your use for saving hides. It usually don't mess the hides up anywhere but the head anyway. I always try to give them a new 3 eye. All this is just my opinion though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:17 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i got a m70 cyote in 223 wssm and no clear advantage that ive found never kilt any thing with it but it is sure a fun thing when some one asks what caliber it is and you throw the short stubby cartridge to them. wow! is the response i usually get