CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ballistics help please
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:04 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Some of you may know that in Mississippi we can use certain caliber single shot breech action guns in place of our black powder rifles during primitive weapon season. I have always enjoyed hunting with my muzzle loader but have never been crazy about all of the cleaning. So I am going to get me one of the NEF Handi rifles. I am leaning towards the 444 Marlin. A lot of folks are using the 45-70 around me but that big of a piece of lead is bound to drop faster than the 444. But I have not actually found where I can study the ballistics of each. So if you were going to buy one which one would you get? I would like to get one with the most range for sure. I am sure either one of them will have plenty of knock down power with the cannon ball that they shoot. I just hope that i am making the right decision. If any of you have any suggestions please advise. Deer season will be here before we know it.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:14 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

here you go:

444 Marlin, 265 gr. FP

Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle 100 yd 200 yd 300 yd
2325/3180 1907/2140 1542/1400 1251/921

Trajectory (inches)
-1.50 0.00 -8.20 -31.30

45-70 Gov't 325 Gr RN

Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
1875/2537 1575/1789 1322/1261 1134/928

Trajectory (inches)
-1.5 3.0 -6.6 -36.3

you can see they ar both similar in ballistics, with a slight edge to the 444
And all but useless after 200 yds

I prefer the 45-70 but I always had a soft spot in my heart for black powder cartridges, though I think the 444 would be a better choice.

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:06 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I would go with the .444 unless you are going to shoot reloads

Home of:

NITECH Beaver Creek Stylish Nellie

CH Whitey's Stylish Samantha

Triple X-Rated

Rank's Stylish Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:43 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Personally I would get the 45-70. The ammo is a bit easier to find and there is a wide range of ammo available. With reloads you can get as much performace as your shoulder can take.My personal favorite load is a 405gr #2 alloy, quench hardened, cast bullet and 50 gr. of varget.
There is nothing wrong with the 444 marlin.
You basically can't make a wrong choice. The deer won't be able to tell the difference.

With the 45-70 you could get a NEF Buffalo Classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:48 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

[quote="zace"]Personally I would get the 45-70. The ammo is a bit easier to find and there is a wide range of ammo available. With reloads you can get as much performace as your shoulder can take.My personal favorite load is a 405gr #2 alloy, quench hardened, cast bullet and 50 gr. of varget.
There is nothing wrong with the 444 marlin.
You basically can't make a wrong choice. The deer won't be able to tell the difference.

Once you get the gun you can go to the NEF website and buy a second barrel really cheap. Many bear hunters I know bought them in .450 marlin and .50 SW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:18 pm 
IP:
Get you a gooood!! recoil pad. Because they both kick like mules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:57 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i want both.

i would love a 444 in a marlin leveraction, but that is defeating the single action limitation.

if i had to go with just one i would probably go with the 45-70. i reload so both would be easily to duplicate or stretch if needed.

whatever you do don't let the reloading bug bite you. it is a life long affliction if you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:04 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

With the 45/70 you'll have a easier time finding ammo and several diffrenent bullets to reload with if you ever decide to do that.
The 45/70 really comes into it's own with reloading and it's a bit of history. The 45/70 is 130+ years old and still has a strong following.

AS for the Handi-rifles, the 45/70 comes with open sites but I don't know if the .444 does. That may not matter if your using a scope.

ACTS 16:31

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:25 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I ended up getting the 444 Marlin. I have never been one to reload although I am sure that I would enjoy doing that. I have reloaded shotgun sales years ago but never no rifle ammunition. So I can't wait to get out in the field behind my house to sight that thing in. I sure am looking forward to primitive weapon season now. I hope I have a good year. I was up at the hunting club the last time I was home. Their is a couple of my stands that had been wrapped up with deer. Their was tracks all over the place. Well anyhow I appreciate all the feedbacks. I hope you all have a great day. May God bless you and yours....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:55 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Muleskinner wrote:
I ended up getting the 444 Marlin. I have never been one to reload although I am sure that I would enjoy doing that. I have reloaded shotgun sales years ago but never no rifle ammunition. So I can't wait to get out in the field behind my house to sight that thing in. I sure am looking forward to primitive weapon season now. I hope I have a good year. I was up at the hunting club the last time I was home. Their is a couple of my stands that had been wrapped up with deer. Their was tracks all over the place. Well anyhow I appreciate all the feedbacks. I hope you all have a great day. May God bless you and yours....

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!