CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: sks, which mfg?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:02 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i was checking out the sks rifles on auctionarms.com. i think i like them because they use the 7.62 x 39 and they're auto loading. i saw what looks like two types, a norinco and a chinese. are these two guns different and if so, which is better? or, are they both junk?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:30 pm 
IP:
None of the SKS rifles are junk. Some people will tell you they are. They are designed to be abused and shot and repeatedly and still function properly. They will shoot as fast as you want them to with no problems. I have had mine for 13+ years and had one problem due to a defective cartridge. No jams or anything. I have the SACCO brand. They are all basically the same as far as looks and they all shoot and function basically the same. Personally I would get a Sacco or the Norinco. There is nothing wrong with the Chinese though. They are all extremely accurate even at long range and require little or no maintance. If you get one you will not be dissapointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:49 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

at auctionarms.com, they have some sks rifles that have high capacity magizines. most have, what looks like, a built in 5 round magizine. are the high capacity magizines a modification or just differing models?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:50 pm 
IP:
no they are just add ons. Same gun. They are usually 10 round factory mags. You can get 5 to 50 round detachable mags for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

The detachable magazines are a differant modle.

Bluetick1982, I don't know what you call accuate but my sks wont shoot under 1 1/2" group at 100 yds. and is not a long range gun. I would nevr think of trying to kill anything at more than 150 yrds. with it(jmo).'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:57 pm 
IP:
I am not saying they are match grade competition rifles. Mine is really accurate. I have killed stuff in the 200 range easily. Without spraying all 40 rounds at it. It's the Sacco Russian version. Can they all not accept a hi cap detachable mag? As far as I know they can. Take the factory 10 out and drop in a detachable. I know the Russian and Chinese models you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:12 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Some of them have a nonremovable mag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:47 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i went to a gun store today and looked at their 4 sks rifles. they looked like junk. maybe they were very functional and they did have bayonets but they looked rough. they were asking $154.00 for them. that's not bad either. of course, you can find them for less if you buy them from an individual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:14 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

bluetick1982 wrote:
They are all extremely accurate even at long range and require little or no maintance. If you get one you will not be dissapointed.

I have owned 4 of them, and extremely accurate did not describe any of them. With a scope 2.5" @ 100 meters was about as good as i have ever seen one shoot.

I would like to own a modern bolt action chambered for the cartridge. Just for the shear fact that the ammunition is so cheap. The SKS is not a rifle i would want to hunt with. It will definetly kill the game you're after but it is too heavy and awkward, and i do not like any of the scope mounting systems i have seen for them.

Home of:

NITECH Beaver Creek Stylish Nellie

CH Whitey's Stylish Samantha

Triple X-Rated

Rank's Stylish Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:07 pm 
IP:
Mine is really accurate. It was NIB too and I think that makes a difference in the accuracy as compared to a pawn shop special or something. Maybe its just my shooting skills too.The scopes and mounts are rediculous. They hang the ejected shells up too much. Open sights is all I will shoot. I like to shoot coyotes with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:00 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i was considering the sks for a doomsday rifle. I wan a rifle that shoots the 7.62-39 because it's plentyful and cheap and the rifle can have a larger magizine, it's autoloading and a military rifle. i'm not interested in a long range hunting rifle. i might still get a sks but it'll have to be a better one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:40 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

None of them are pretty. They are rough looking but durable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Russell Boyette wrote:
I would like to own a modern bolt action chambered for the cartridge. Just for the shear fact that the ammunition is so cheap.

I don't know of a bolt action, but Ruger makes the Mini-30 that shoots the 7.62X39 ammo. A friend of mine just bought one and loves it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:48 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

tyusclan wrote:
Russell Boyette wrote:
I would like to own a modern bolt action chambered for the cartridge. Just for the shear fact that the ammunition is so cheap.

I don't know of a bolt action, but Ruger makes the Mini-30 that shoots the 7.62X39 ammo. A friend of mine just bought one and loves it.
i was in a gun store today and saw the mini 30. it looks good but at $661.00, it's too expensive for me. maybe a well used one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:20 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

tyusclan wrote:
Russell Boyette wrote:

Mini 30 is a good gun but it is still too heavy. Shouldnt be much trouble to have a Model 700 chambered in 7.62 x 39. Expensive, maybe! lol