It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:39 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

:shock: $661! :shock:

I knew they were a little pricey, but didn't realize they were that high.

I agree, Russell. I would like a bolt action in the cartridge myself.

I have a Norinco that I bought a 5-round mag for, so I CAN use it to hunt with if I want, but it's mostly just a plinker. I take it out once in a while and put a few through it for grins and giggles. I haven't done any bench shooting at known distances, so I don't know what the groupings would be, but it usually hits where I'm aiming. I'm sure it's as accurate or more accurate than I am.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:05 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

went to a gun store today and saw a new sks. it was made by a modern manufactureing company but i don't recall the name. it had a small clip but the store stocked 30 rd. clips. it was in the 7.62 x 39. they were asking less than $200.00. now that ain't too bad. i paid that much for a K98, M48A and it was used and is a bolt action in 8MM. the sks is by far a better deal. i wonder if they'll take my mauser in trade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:54 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I wouldn't overlook a nice used sks just because the stock is a little rough.There is alot of aftermarket stuff out there for them now.I have a norinco sks and a mak90, and I wouldn't hesitate to take a 300 yard shot with either one of them.What people don't take into consideration is the ammo they are feeding thru these guns is usually the $3.00 for 20 round flea market stuff.Take some empty brass to someone that is good at reloading and they can make you some good, accurate bullets.

By the way, I think Ruger makes an m77 bolt action in 7.62x39.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:39 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

The SKS was the model before the AK.
All though the wood is cheap, overall they are good rifles.
The AK is a preferred battle weapon because they will cycle with a pound of sand in them, and the availability is a lot better than the AK in other countries.
It has been my experience that they are more accurate than the AK's I have fired and just as reliable.
I have shot mine 1000's of times, some times it may go 1000 round between cleanings. We have shot them until the barrel is white hot, and they are still accurate the next time out.

The SKS comes in 7.62x39.
You buy cheap ammo - you get what you pay for.
I have shot 1 hole groups at 60 yards with Remington factory ammo and open sights.
Mostly I shoot the cheap stuff for fun.
I have killed several deer with them, the ballistics are very similar to a 30-30. Good penetration, poor bullet expansion. Usually will shoot through the chest cavity and the deer will run 30-70 yards before going down.

There are different models, you want a "russian model" because the barrels are "screwed in". You can see a lug outside between the barrel and reciever. The "chinese models" are not as good quality. the barrels are "pinned in" (you don't see the lug).
I have a chinese model that occasionally "chain fires" (discharge two rounds with one pull of the trigger), and the accuracy seems to be less than the russian models. Still plenty accuarate for deer hunting at 100 yards.

I gave one to my cousin and he took it to a national shooting match (I think Camp Perry). He was using store bought ammo and placed in the top ten for his class (stock military type guns only). They had to shoot various ranges from various positions.

So if you can't get accuracy out of one, you probably need to change ammo or check the gun to make sure it is not worn out. Overall they are good guns for the money and cheap to shoot.

They aren't a modern bolt gun that you put a $500 scope on, but they are decent rifles for the money and a hoot to shoot.

Post subject: Re: sks, which mfg?
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:38 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

yup

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:24 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

croatankid wrote:
i was checking out the sks rifles on auctionarms.com. i think i like them because they use the 7.62 x 39 and they're auto loading. i saw what looks like two types, a norinco and a chinese. are these two guns different and if so, which is better? or, are they both junk?

It don't matter between the two. I have mine to just play around. They usually have the fixed magazine, but have an adapter to use removable mags. A new in box one is about $150, has a flash suppressor, bayonet, and a kit in the stock.

I also had a Ruger Mini-14 that shot 223, and have played with a Mini-30; I think they all weigh about the same.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzetun17/racc ... fmaryland/

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You should check out a Saiga 7.62x39. They are built in russia and use the same receiver as an AK-47. They are great guns. You can run over them with your truck and dig them out of the mud without a malfunction. They also make 30rd mags or with a little modification you can make them take any 7.62x39 AK mag. I have one in .308 and 7.62x39. Use to have one in 12guage :twisted: but couldn't realy find any good use for it so I sold it to a competition shooter.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:21 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Here's a russian SKS

and here's a russian M91/30 bolt action rifle

Profile  WWW