CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hey, Bubba!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:30 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

What can you tell me about a .284 rifle? Is it a pretty flat shooting round? What kind of range does it have? I've seen a few of them before, but never really paid a whole lot of attention 'til I got offered a good deal on one. For more info, the gun was either a Rem 700 or a Savage 110.I can't remember 'cause I looked at a .284 and a .308 at the same shop, but can't remember which was which.The guy left a voice mail for me Sunday and said he'd come down to my offer on the .284, so I'm going back down there to check it out Saturday.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:35 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Hey Man,

The .284 win is a bit of an odd duck. I think only winchester makes ammo for it. They are similar to a .270 but fit in a short action type gun (Lever, etc). Muzzle velicoty is about 2850 FPS and at 200 yds about 2300.
they are pretty flat dropping about 3 inch at 250 and zeroing at 200.

Best bet if you buy it is to reload. You'll have tons more options and will probably get even flatter out to 300 wit hthe right powder and slug combo

Hope that helps.

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:35 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

The guy actually let me try the rifle out over the weekend and I wasn't very impressed.Just like you said, it had ALOT of drop.I'm very satisfied with my .270 as far as anything this gun could do.Thing is, I've got a new clear cut on my lease that's going to afford me some 300+ yard shots and I don't want to get on the .30 cal bandwagon- especially after I've preached so much about how you don't need that much gun around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:05 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

crap, i shoot a 300 win mag and NONE of my shots are over 100 yards, i just like the big boom... :D

but if your gonna shoot that far, the the 300 win mag, you wont be let down...

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier!

www.myspace.com/spikebrannon

"Thier just dogs, once you learn that you'll be better off. Everytime you turn em loose theres always that chance that you'll never seee them again, for one reason or another"

words from a wise man, my dad.

if you dont like the weather in Alabama, just wait a few minutes..

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:04 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

DixieRingtailRunner wrote:
crap, i shoot a 300 win mag and NONE of my shots are over 100 yards, i just like the big boom... :D

but if your gonna shoot that far, the the 300 win mag, you wont be let down...

I like my .338 Dixie, I'm with you. When you hit them with a 250 gr slug they don't get up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:06 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

coleman wrote:
The guy actually let me try the rifle out over the weekend and I wasn't very impressed.Just like you said, it had ALOT of drop.I'm very satisfied with my .270 as far as anything this gun could do.Thing is, I've got a new clear cut on my lease that's going to afford me some 300+ yard shots and I don't want to get on the .30 cal bandwagon- especially after I've preached so much about how you don't need that much gun around here.

My biggest thing is the lack of ammo choices. I hand load and I know that is an option, but when factory loads start to disappear, you know the brass and other components can't be far behind.

.270 is a nice caliber. You cn'at really go wrong with that one if you went for it.

glad I could help!