CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:58 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I use my Grand-dad's gun, the same gun his father bought him when he was a kid first starting to go out hunting. Its a Remington .22 bolt action. I still use the .22 shorts, just because I love being able to hear the sounds of a miss, hitting a tree or actually hitting the coon. Also, makes for a better time for the dogs when the coon hits the ground since he's not dead... just ticked-off REAL GOOD. Don't use a scope, if your a poor enough shot that you can't hit a coon no farther-up in a tree than they are, then you need to be at the firing range practicing instead of in the woods hunting.

Just the way I look at it

Wes
God bless

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: sorry
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:55 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i always forget about 22 shorts because i never use them but cci makes cb longs that have the same effect very quiet and you can hear ike you say a hit or miss i totally forgot aout them i apoligise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:47 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I don't know any gun that will humanely knock a coon out of the tree with out killing it - I guess shot placement would be the key on knocking the coon out not really caliber - the only thing I can think of is .22 shorts or the bird shot shells they make for a .22 that might be just enough to get them out of the tree. I have popped a couple coons high up trees without hitting them where I was trying to and while waiting for a better opening for a follow up shot they have started climbing down and I just waited till they got lower to shoot them , if this happens you could just wait for them to get low enough to knock them off the tree with a big stick or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:55 am 
IP:
no offense ranger, but a bb gun is about useless unless you buy one of those thousand dollar ones...i've seen coon take like 5, 22 shells, pound for pound everyone in here knows they are tough

Post subject: well
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

like i said you might be able to try a b gun it but it would by no means be dead i agree that a bb gun is probly just going to ##*%* off a coon at best but it might jump down that was all that is what he was trying to accomplish also you are also right that if you got a realy fancy high speed bb gun it might do more but i always use a 22 or a shot gun 4 coons i have shot coons with a center fire rifle before and had them try and fight still after a shot between the eyes i do know they are very strong 4 there size i have no intention of having a live coon fall out of a tree and be coming in my direction so i get them out as fast and safe as possible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:10 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

22 shorts in the butt...

1000 FPS Gamo air rifle is only about 125 bucks at wal mart, a winchester it only $100....
they just weigh about 6 or 7 lbs, so ill just carry a double duece as me and my friend like to call em..

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier!

www.myspace.com/spikebrannon

"Thier just dogs, once you learn that you'll be better off. Everytime you turn em loose theres always that chance that you'll never seee them again, for one reason or another"

words from a wise man, my dad.

if you dont like the weather in Alabama, just wait a few minutes..

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:50 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Check your local laws when deciding on a gun. I know here in Tennessee you are in some deep $#*+ if you are caught in the woods with a non-rimfire rifle past 30 min after sunset. The Game-warden can and will confiscate everything you have with you, gun, truck, four-wheeler, etc. because of people spot-lighting deer.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:47 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

we use a 22 cricket. the only thing i dont like is the peep site?? i think thats what you call them with the little hole

I hunt ENGLISH!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:45 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

in Alabama we can use shotguns too, thatd sting em enough to probably make em jump.. a 410 anyways, or a 28 ga, but ammo for both is sky high...

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:58 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

DixieRingtailRunner wrote:
in Alabama we can use shotguns too, thatd sting em enough to probably make em jump.. a 410 anyways, or a 28 ga, but ammo for both is sky high...

You're telling me! The price for sub gauge ammo is outrageous!!!
Try a 20 gauge with target loads. You might find that it is about the same as a 28 gauge with field loads. Cheap ammo and a nice selection of shotguns to boot.

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:02 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

ive got a single shot 20 gauge that im not afraid to hurt and i believe that if i used light loads itd be alright, get the 7/8 oz target loads and it would be just about right...

course, if ya didnt want to worry about it, just slip a load of buckshot in there and may God be with that bandit...

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:06 am 
IP:
marlin lever action .22 or the savage .223

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:52 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i use an older marlin model 99 its short, lightweight, and compact with a bushnell .22 varmint scope

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:47 am 
IP:
I use a youth model savave 22 single shot. costed 150.00 brand new. Looks like a cricket but the bold is'nt near as sloppy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:12 pm 
IP:
I use a savage cub single shot. I dont like the sights, but i am goin to put a scope on it very shortly.