CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Laser ?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:27 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Does anyone use a laser on their coon hunting rifle ?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:23 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i dont. u wouldnt see the laser if u was shinin the coon. and if u dont shine the coon u aint gonna be able to hit it with the laser.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:10 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Funny you mention this. I was talking to our Company's Lead investigator last week, he is a retired police detective and he was telling me about the only thing a laser site is really good for is effect. When somebody sees that bright red dot on their chest, they'll freeze and give up before you have to fire a shot. They are not really all that effective in precision shooting becasue they "wiggle" too much. Since the coon won't give a crap about that red dot shining on him, I would say using a good iron or red dot sighting system would pretty much be all you need.

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I personally use just a fixed position scope. It does the job, and isnt too expensive.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:39 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i have a cheap 3-9 scope.

PR Miller's Mountain Moonshiner (Moon)
Give It All You Got With Plotts.
John Miller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:20 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i have a 3-9 scope that i had on a deer rifle and when it gets cold its hard to turn the variable..so i leave it at 3 and if i drop it in a swamp er bang it on a tree..i aint out nothin...its still accurate as the day i bought it though.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:53 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I use a laser on a Walther P 22 pistol. For hunting coons it is a nice setup especially if your doing a lot of walking

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:53 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Waterway-56 wrote:
I use a laser on a Walther P 22 pistol. For hunting coons it is a nice setup especially if your doing a lot of walking

How is it for keeping steady? I have never used one, so I am curious. You must read my comment on how that former police detective feels about them, so I would like to get your point of view,

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:29 pm 
IP:
they are just like one of those laser pointers attached to the pistol. all you do is walk the laser up the tree put it on the coon and pop. I had a buddy that was on the swat team in Atlanta, they sweared by the Lasermax laser sight for their service pistols. they are mounted in the guide rod of a autoloading pistol so your point of impact is + or - one inch. the crimsion trace laser grips you have to sight in. being respectful, I think that comment from your friend made is hogwash they are as steady as you are since they are mounted on the gun, they are just as effectaive as a sighting source as a normal scope or a red dot scope with out the bulk of either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:02 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I had a laser on my coon rifle and liked it it just wouldnt stay sighted in with the mounting system it had no problam seeing the dot you didnt even have to look down the barrel I just stedied it on a tree and put the dot on the coon

credit cards thru PayPal
812-665-2143

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:20 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Doogie has it about right. Mine is made for the pistol and fastens right under the barrel nice and solid. The thing with a laser, you don't sight it so hold it with two hands against your chest or whatever works best. You should be able to hold it much more steady than a scope or iron sights. Wish you were closer as you would be welcome to try mine.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:24 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Doogie Dawg wrote:
they are just like one of those laser pointers attached to the pistol. all you do is walk the laser up the tree put it on the coon and pop. I had a buddy that was on the swat team in Atlanta, they sweared by the Lasermax laser sight for their service pistols. they are mounted in the guide rod of a autoloading pistol so your point of impact is + or - one inch. the crimsion trace laser grips you have to sight in. being respectful, I think that comment from your friend made is hogwash they are as steady as you are since they are mounted on the gun, they are just as effectaive as a sighting source as a normal scope or a red dot scope with out the bulk of either.

I think the big difference is while you are aiming, a policeman is pointing and shooting as quick as he can. In that case a laser wouldn't be helpful for anything other than effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:01 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Bubba I have no intentions of getting in any shoot outs with the law and for getting a coon out of a tree they work just fine!

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:56 am 
IP:
thats funny that ex police officer said that. all our cops here have crimson trace grip lasers on there gun for for the simple fact that its easier to point and shoot. you dont have to take the time to aim. it also works great for "around the corner" shots again because no aiming is involved. i am in the process of getting on the department here and have had a chance to fire it personally. after about an hour of practice i was hitting everything i pointed at... and fast.
different strokes for different folks but i defently want one on my gun.
the only down fall i see in lasers is batteries failing. but if the laser doesnt work you can always use the sites.
Jeff S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:18 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Waterway-56 wrote:
Bubba I have no intentions of getting in any shoot outs with the law and for getting a coon out of a tree they work just fine!

I would hope not! I'm just relaying what this guy said. he just felt faster and more accurate with iron sights