CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:46 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have a guy who wants to trade me my muzzle loader for a tracking box. I can't figure out how to ship all the places i call says it has to be from dealer to dealer. If anyone knows a way to do it please post.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:49 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Doghandler wrote:
Just FYI or anyone who has a question about shipping a firearm. This is the BATF Regulation. Don't want to see anyone spend time in a Federal prison just for legally selling a gun and transferring improperly. Hope this Helps...

Here's the link...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/Suppor ... &NoCount=1

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:33 pm 
IP:
fed ex man and ups man told us when we shipped my brothers rifle to him in montana when he moved to just take the bolt out and wrap it in something and then put in a box then wrap the gun and put in a box and then fill it with stuff around it. we wrapped brothers gun in clothes after clothes after clothes, then stuffed other stuff in the box no questions asked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:42 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

The problem with that is if some questions did get asked you'd be facing federal charges and not likely to see the light of day outside a prison for a long time. What if the UPS truck got in an accident and the box broke open or got burned open?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:54 pm 
IP:
they said the rule for them shipping like that is that as long as the bolt was out of the gun and wrapped seperately that there was no issue at all. just don't ship amo with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:09 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Only a licensed gun dealer may transfer a gun by mail and then only to another licensed gun dealer. That is the federal law. Get a licensed gun dealer to ship it for you and to another licensed dealer. Then that dealer can do all the paperwork and the NICS background check. illegal transfers can get you in a whole lot of trouble. you do not want to mess with the BATFE.

I am a licensed dealer and I do this for a small fee.

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:12 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Oh yea, some muzzleloaders like flint locks and cap and ball pistols that CANNOT be converted to any form of rim or center fire firearm may be transferred without FLL. However ANY muzzleloader that can be converted (Like many Thompsons or Knight's) cannot be done so privately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:29 pm 
IP:
like i said i asked people that i know in ups and fed ex that are managers i had to ship it to him that way because he was in the middle of montana and the gun shop out there wanted like 200 bucks to receive it it was like 8 hours away and our gun shop wanted like 200 to ship it and i did't have the money to do it. probably shouldn't of done it but i did it that way guess im just lucky nothing happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:58 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I am gonna check again tomorrow but i got ahold of the post office and he told me if i shipped it broke down. as in send the barrel with the firing rod and then put the stock and rod in a different box it was legal to send. of course i will check a couple more times just to make sure he is right

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:18 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

VACOON wrote:
I am gonna check again tomorrow but i got ahold of the post office and he told me if i shipped it broke down. as in send the barrel with the firing rod and then put the stock and rod in a different box it was legal to send. of course i will check a couple more times just to make sure he is right

Mike

you can ship any kind of firearm part you like that way. EXCEPT the receiver. That is the part the ATF cares about and tracks. If there is a problem and that gun turns up, they'll come and see you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:22 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

bluecowgirl1986 wrote:
like i said i asked people that i know in ups and fed ex that are managers i had to ship it to him that way because he was in the middle of montana and the gun shop out there wanted like 200 bucks to receive it it was like 8 hours away and our gun shop wanted like 200 to ship it and i did't have the money to do it. probably shouldn't of done it but i did it that way guess im just lucky nothing happened.

That is not right. I charge $25 for my time plus the costs either way, shipping or receiving. It only take a few minutes to do What they told you was wrong.

Those gun shops disappoint me greatly. They should be trying to help you comply with the law. .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:36 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I am gonna call the atf tomorrow just to make sure. so i can ship all the parts but the rod that sets off the caps?? oh and maybe i should said it is a muzzleloader. does that make a differance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:21 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I work with guns for a living , I seel that at a Sporting goods store . You have to have a FFL to ship and receive a gun . If you do so without you will become someones wife in prison cause you will be there for a very long time . You can ship the barrel and stock but not the reciever . Take my word on this , it is my job to know and understand fully alll the gun laws . That is why I am a manager...

Sam's Creek Kennels
Home of
"PR" OLD TENNESSEE'S LITTLE LADY

"PR" Hayes' Little Treein Buddy

Jasmine "the over hyper Shih Tzu"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:03 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i am no legal expert, but this is my experience. I bought a gun via internet from Mi., the seller did research and sent it through the mail, he removed the bolt and wrapped in a non-discript (brown paper) wrapping, mailed it priority mail, costs me 6 dollars shipping, i had it in 2 days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:18 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

I guess it's like driving down the road where you don't know the posted speed limit. You may get a speeding ticket, you may not. The only difference is instead of receiving a ticket, you'll receive some jail time if your caught.

Viva Y Aprenda!!!!!

Profile  WWW