CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: My New Toy!!!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:55 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i went out today and bought me a new gun...its a Remington 597...its a 10 shot .22 rifle. nice smooth action to it...i normally coonhunt, squirrel hunt or anything with a singleshot .22 because they have more power to them...but i went coonhunting the other night and a pack of coyotes came through and wasn't scared of nothing...i had to turn my light on bright on them to make them stop and they still didn't just turn and run ....and there i was with a single shot .22 with shorts in it lol....i wasn't planning on shooting a coon but i always have a gun cause ya never know what ur gonna run into...i think i'll feel a little safer out in the woods with something i can at least rattle off a few rounds lol...

anyone else own a Remington 597 rifle or know someone who does? what do yall think of them? i personally like mine and got it at a deal i couldn't pass up. its probably the best .22 i've ever shot.

Kevin

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Remington 597
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:02 pm 
IP:
I have one. Its the only .22 that I own. Have had mine about 7 or 8 years and haven't had any problems. They shoot excellent groups and are a coons worst nightmare.......besides me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:54 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I don't own one personally, but as a gunsmth I can tell you that EVERYthing that Remington makes is overengineered and built to last. With proper maintenance, it will last you a lifetime and then some! Good luck with it!

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

Post subject: remington 597
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:33 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i do have to say after getting to shoot it some more today, this has to be one of the best guns made in my opinion...the action of it when fired is VERY SMOOTH...everything feels firm when u shoot it and not like it might fall apart...

its accuracy is EXCELLENT...and its SOOO easy to aim...my girlfriend who don't do much shooting shot it today too...her first shot was perfect...can't wait for them beaty, glowing eyes to be staring back at me while i look down the sights lol..

so far, if this gun holds up...which Remington product should...then i would recommend a "Remington 597" to anyone.

Kevin

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:41 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

is it an automatic. i suppose it is right.

PR Miller's Mountain Moonshiner (Moon)
Give It All You Got With Plotts.
John Miller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:54 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I own a 597 and love mine, as well.I put a bull barrel on it and had Boyd's gunstocks in South Dakota make me a thumbhole stock for it.It is a blast to shoot, and handles every different kind of bullet I put thru it equally well.I'm waiting on them to come out with a .17 mach II in the 597!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:00 pm 
IP:
bubbasbbq wrote:
I don't own one personally, but as a gunsmth I can tell you that EVERYthing that Remington makes is overengineered and built to last. With proper maintenance, it will last you a lifetime and then some! Good luck with it!

I will have to disagree with you on that. I will say ALMOST all Remington's are built to last but the Remington Model 742-7400 series automatic rifles are the biggest piece of junk i have ever seen. They have been making this line of rifle for over 50 years and they still have the same problems they have always had. I would put money on us sitting down with 10 brand new 7400's, and 7 out of 10 would jam before we got to 25 rounds. They are probably the fastest handling of all semi-auto rifles, but are in no way reliable. In fact, None of the 4 gunsmiths in my area will even work on one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a Ruger 10/22 and it is a semi-auto and had it almost 1 year and so far i like it. my buddy has the same thing but he's got his really good. i would like to trade with him but he wont. yall know of anyone who wants to buy a muzzleloader? i have for sale and i really dont like it. too much cleaning. when i get home from hunting i have to clean deer and i really dont have time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:55 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

possum wrote:
bubbasbbq wrote:

I will have to disagree with you on that. I will say ALMOST all Remington's are built to last but the Remington Model 742-7400 series automatic rifles are the biggest piece of junk i have ever seen. They have been making this line of rifle for over 50 years and they still have the same problems they have always had. I would put money on us sitting down with 10 brand new 7400's, and 7 out of 10 would jam before we got to 25 rounds. They are probably the fastest handling of all semi-auto rifles, but are in no way reliable. In fact, None of the 4 gunsmiths in my area will even work on one.

That's really surprising. Then again I have never worked on a Remington Semi-auto rifle, so I will take your word for it. BAR's are pretty much what everyone uses around here for semi-auto centerfire. I've worked on more than a few shotguns and a few rimfire Remingtons and they are all well made. I guess I stand corrected. Thanks for the info, I'll be happy to pass that along if anyone asks about them.

Post subject: 7400
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:54 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I never heard such bad things about any remington firearm. I have owned a couple of 742's and a couple of 7400's loved them. got a 7400 now. only time I ever had a jam was when I tried to shoot reloads. I was told that I could shoot reloads successfully if the person reloading the shells made sure they were properly trimmed to length. don't matter as much with your bolt action guns. but that's just my opinion. 8)

Post subject: Re: 7400
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:53 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

parkerhillskennels wrote:
I never heard such bad things about any remington firearm. I have owned a couple of 742's and a couple of 7400's loved them. got a 7400 now. only time I ever had a jam was when I tried to shoot reloads. I was told that I could shoot reloads successfully if the person reloading the shells made sure they were properly trimmed to length. don't matter as much with your bolt action guns. but that's just my opinion. 8)

Always make sure your cases are in spec. This is even more critical on straightwall cases where the headspace IS the rim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:06 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i got one...ther good but dont shoot lead shells cuz the gun seems to bend the tips of em and they wont shoot...i shoot high velocity shells like cci's...aint had a problem since

http://www.myspace.com/kaseytheman

"If it ain't a walker, it ain't worth huntin"
"The day I hunt ticks is the day my walker grows some"
"If it ain't black, brown, and white, it ain't right"
"The more girls I meet, the more I love my dog"

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:18 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have one in 17 hmr and it's alright but the springs in the clips are week and will cause them to jam bad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:13 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i have a .22 10 shot savage bolt-action

'PR' ROCKEY RIVER DUKE (WALKER)
__________PRESENT_________________
'PR' ROCKEY RIVER KATIE (WALKER)
'PR' ROCKEY RIVER BLACK JACK ATK (WALKER)
'PR' STACK'EM UP JILL (REDTICK)
LIFE TIME MEMBER OF THE FFA

Post subject: Re: 7400
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

parkerhillskennels wrote:
Any reloads for a centerfire semi-automatic rifle has to be reloaded with short base dies and the cases have to be crimped with a crimping die. Otherwise they will jam in any semi-auto. The Remington model 7400 is a better designed rifle than the Remington model 740 & 742. The bolt rails in the receiver of the model 7400 can be replaced. The model 740 & 742 rails can not. When you encounter a model 740 or 742 that jams consistently the rails in the receiver are damaged. To fix this problem another receiver with good rails has to be used. Some gunsmiths take a hammer and a punch and peen the rails up to work for another box or two of ammo and to make a quick $$ but, it will start doing the same thing not long after. The Remington model 760 pump is designed the same way too but, the rails don't wear as bad on this model because you are working the action where as on the model 740 or 742 the pressure of the ammo is working the action, which is working the action a lot harder than you can by hand. The rail problem is the reason that Remington stopped making the models 740, 742, & 760 and began making the 7400 & 7600 models with replaceable rails. Get a model 740 or 742 and a model 7400 then, compare the rifles and you will see the difference. A quick trip to Remington's website and asking them about this will show you that this is the problem with those models and the reason for the newer model 7400 and 7600. About every model 740 or 742 that I've had brought to me for jamming is caused by this problem. When I look at the inside of the receiver, I know right off if it's the rails or not. If the rails aren't the problem, the next problem causer is failure to completely dis assemble clean the rifle and keep the chamber shiny. The fix for this is the rifle will need a complete dis assembly cleaning with the chamber polished.